• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyamel Cocina Mexicana in Penn Quarter

SanFran88

Dinner at Oyamel tonight with my sister and her boyfriend, who are in town from CT for the weekend. Just thought I'd let you know, because I have nothing new to report on it! Food was good, all stuff that's been discussed before, service was decent. Unfortunately I'm not sure we found anything that my sister really liked besides the flank steak and dessert. Liking oxtail must not be a dominant genetic trait (it also sounds like they had a late lunch). Ah well, we had fun!

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not (fine, so I lied, there IS something to report), but despite what Steve Klc told us on our initial visit, drinks have been added to the dessert menu. There's standard coffee and tea and such, but you can also get real hot chocolate and cafe de olla. These are served in earthenware pitchers and are enough for two or three. Also, they're really, really good, so get them. Fortunately they don't overpower the desserts.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been to Oyamel about 4 times now and just went this past Sunday night. It seems to me they have tweaked the menu a bit and added specials. It is markedly improved. (It wasn't bad before just not that exciting). Their winelist has definately improved. They now offer California Wines in addition to their Mexican Wines. I still feel their desserts are good but not authentic enough though. I had the Cajeta dessert and felt it would of benefited from being a bit more authentic as in using true Goat Cajeta as opposed to the bland caramel that was served. I remember enjoying it before have the recipes changed?

I guess I feel Oyamel is good but still not that exciting. I go as it is so close to the airport and I need a change from Jaleo every once in awhile, (but I still prefer Jaleo).

Edited for misspellings and omitted sentence.

Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I also was at Oyamel on Sunday. I have to say I like the place most when it is not crowded, not nearly as loud as some earlier visits. This was the first I was back since the new menu (3 earlier visits). I enjoyed many of the new tacos - especially the wild mushrooms and the halibut. Would have liked the shrimp better with at least one more shrimp in each. The grilled green onions (Cambray?) are good, but virtually impossible to eat in the taco without the whole thing coming out in one piece. Not sure what it is, but I just do not like the ox-tail. My favorites continue to be the flank steak, jicama wrappers and the plantain fritters - I could drink the coconut sauce. My 9-year old is quite fond of the chocolate cake with mole and hot chocolate on the dessert menu. She is not as fond of the bathroom, finding the artwork in 2 of the stalls "very scary!"

The service could be better - it was not awful, but it would have seemed worse had we been in more of a rush. An example, the waitress offered dessert menus but then took at least 10 minutes to bring them to the table (when it turned out she could have reached them just by turning around from our table.)

I'll keep going because I generally like most of what I have eaten there, it is a beautiful restaurant, and parking is easy and free.

• 1 month later...

dayum, those salt air margaritas are good! chips (incl plantain chips) and salsa were also tasty

place was mobbed at 6.30 on Saturday - I didn't eat there

• 6 months later...

While in town to visit my wife's family for Thanksgiving, we stopped in at Oyamel for a delicious dinner on Friday evening. Overall, we had a delicious meal--one of the best at one of Jose Andres' establishments in recent memory--and that's saying a lot.

The Mezcal margaritas were awesome. The chili salt on the rims of the glasses gave the drinks a zip that accompanied the tequila splendidly. My wife and I shared about 8 dishes with another couple. Highlights of the meal were definitely the red snapper ‘ceviche’ served ‘Veracruz style’ and the carnitas. I also really enjoyed the Nopalitos - Young cactus leaves with tomatoes, prickly pear dressing and micro cilantro.

Steve Klc's fabulous desserts capped off our meal. Among the four of us, we shared three -- the warm chocolate cake, the tres leches cake, and the milk chocolate flan. The cake was very good but the latter two desserts stole the cake! The Mexican hot chocolate is also not to be missed.

Web site: http://www.oyamel.com

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic