• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pennsylvania Dutch Meat Dishes?

Mmm. A feast.

The only thing I could remember about Penn. Dutch cooking is that you must have 'seven sweets and seven sours' on the table (shades of the Seven Samurai and the Seven Sisters... :wacko: yikes) and a dish called Schnitz un Knepp which is dried apples cooked with country ham and dumplings.

Surely a whole roast fresh ham replete with cracklings would not be out of order, though...

Well, isn't it your lucky day! Earlier this month I just happened to buy Betty Groff's Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook. I have no idea who Betty Groff is. She may be half Antarctican & half Venutian as far as I know. But it was $5.99 at Waldenbooks' bargain bin. I looked for it on B&N and Amazon, but couldn't find it. Anyway....

Here are the titles for the recipes in the chapter 'Meats':

Brisket of Beef With Beans

Corned Beef

Glazed Corned Beef

Beef Pie With Potato Crust

Rib Roast

Sauerbraten

Beef Pot Roast

Swiss Steak

Pan-Fried Steak

Stuffed Flank Steak

Creamed Frizzled Dried Beef

City Chicken Drumsticks

Meat Loaf With Sweet Potatoes

Lamb Roast With Crusty Mint

Lamb Paprika

Baked Home-Cured Ham

Schnitz Und Knepp

Fried Ham Slices

Southern Style Ham

Ham, Green Beans, And Potatoes

Pot Pie

Pork Loin Roast Stuffed With Dried Fruit

Wiener Schnitzel

Braised Sweetbreads With Almonds

Cooked Beef Tongue

Stuffed Beef Heart

Scrapple

Souse

Sausage And Squash Stir Fry

Pan-Fried Liver And Onions

Stuffed Pig Stomach Or French Goose

And 'Seafood':

Deviled Clams

Box Panned Oysters

Fried Oysters

Oyster Pie

Salmon Croquettes

Shad And Roe Baked And Fried

Trout Cameron Estate Style

So if you're interested in recipes, let me know. I don't want to post too much for copyright reasons - I respect the effort that went into developing/researching the recipes.

Also a couple of notes. The Pennsylvania Dutch are quite cool - culinarily speaking. They invented/developed sooooo many things. And they were a very 'seasonal' people. So you may want to keep that in mind while you are planning the menu. Even the meat dishes - some of the ingredients (fruits, root veggies, squashes, etc.) will be seasonal. It just depends on how authentic you are willing to go. (The stomach sounds good to me. :) )

And if anybody else is interested - let me know.

-Greg

Betty Groff and her restaurant Groff's Farm Restaurant are very well known in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. The restaurant is located in Mount Joy. It has been around for well over thirty years and is considered by most in the area to be the epitome of Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking. Ms Groff has written several books on Pa Dutch cooking and is considered by many to be the expert on that cuisine.

Porkpa