• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bistros in Paris: Merged topics

Simon Majumdar

A great favorite of mine in the 17th is the venerable Caves Petrissans, 30 bis, av. Niel, tel 01 42 27 52 03. An incredible wine list and a very traditional menu. The place is always packed with regulars.

EDIT: nearest Metro is Pereire.

Edited by John Whiting (log)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

If you just want to stay in the 17th, try Bistrot Saint Ferdinand. It is across from Porte Maillot. Le palais De Congres. 31 Euros everything included, wine coffee, kir royale and three courses.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Thanks for the excellent recommendation John. We both did prix fixe menus at 33 Euro, I started with an eggplant caviar with an English Cucumber around it to hold it in a ring shape with a buttered baguette crouton, followed it with veal kidneys flambeed in armangenac with roasted potatoes; my partner had a saucissons plate followed by a filet de bouef au poivre with the same roasted potatoes. We both had wonderful creme brulee for dessert with our petite cafe (the framboise tart special was sold out, but looked beautiful as the next table over wolfed theirs down). I also had the most pleasant Borduex I've yet tasted, a Chateau Clos Renon 2000 which was a steal at 18 Euro. I may actually like affordable Bordeuxs after all, color me shocked. I finished with a glass of Isley whiskey that the proprietor fished out of the back, a brilliant libation from Caol Ila Distillery, 12 yr, sherry casked. The mirror paneled walls made it easy to watch the chic, older Parisians crowding the place. All in all an outstanding meal and very affordable at 115 E, including drinks and tip.

Thanks again.

• 10 months later...

Hello all--

I'm fairly new to the site, and most of what I can contribute (and have contributed) involves Italy, Los Angeles and Chicago. So I'm very new to this forum...

I am a pretty serious foodie headed to Paris with my girlfriend for 10 days starting next Friday. This will involve dining at a handful of major temples of gastronomy, including Guy Savoy, Pre Catalan, Le Meurice and Le Grand Vefour. I promise full reports on all four, as well as Can Fabes, Cinq Sentits, Abac, Ca L'Isidre in Barcelona and most of the better places in Mallorca. But I digress. The Paris and Barcelona stars were picked in part because of the question I am about to ask (i.e. this is why we're not going to Pierre Gagnaire...)

Our 10 days in Paris will also include a number of less ornate and orchestrated meals. Among the up-to-16 lunches and dinners not mentioned above, I am hoping to visit 3-4 bistrots et bistrots modernes that have an appropriate combination of (1) quality, (2) typicity, and, perhaps most importantly, (3) agreeability with my girlfriend's standard American palate/unadventurousness. To wit, she does not eat (1) offal of any kind except for limited amount of foie gras if included in other dishes, (2) raw fish of any kind (a real problem!), (3) non-chicken-or-turkey fowl (except for limited amounts of duck breast/confit if I REALLY encourage her), and (4) probably rabbit (just guessing).

In her defense, she will enthusiastically dig in for red meat of virtually any kind, charcuterie, cream sauces, stinky cheeses, heavy roasts, lamb shanks, other heavy preparations. It's not the heavyness of the food that will be a problem. She'll probably even eat suckling pig if I don't tell her what it is. And, luckily, she enjoys all kinds of seafood (especially crab), right down to sardines and anchovies, but not raw oysters.

My point is that there is no f'in way she will eat pieds de cochon, boudin noir, rognons de veau, escargots, tete de ANYTHING, etc. -- even beef cheeks or oxtail will have to be described as merely "beef" until after the meal.

I have no interest in unnecessarily challenging her, but I do have an interest in not making the bistrot rearrange its menu around us or in making her suffer. For example, I was very interested in going to Au C'Amelot, until I learned that dessert is the only "choice" on the menu. If it's going to be foie gras/huitres/rognons de veau that night, I'm in trouble. I guess what I'm saying is that some level of choice really matters. She'll love the rouget if offered...

I'm particularly interested in

Le Regalade

L'Os a Moelle

Chez Catherine

La Fontaine de Mars

Chez Dumonet

Ambassade d'Auvergne

Le Dome du Marais

Le Coude Fou

L'Entredgeu

Mon Vieil Ami

L'Epi Dupin

Au Bon Accueil

Chez l'Ami Jean

D'Chez Eux

Cafe Constant

Chez Jean

Chez Michel

Le Repaire de Cartouche

Au Trou Gascon (ok, I doubt it will work)

L'Ourcine

De Lagarde

But, honestly, I haven't been to Paris since I was 13, which was nearly 20 years ago, so I'm mostly just asking for assistance.

Also, if there's a Michelin 1-star that is open for Monday dinner that she'd enjoy, I'd love to hear about it. I think Violon d'Ingres (my first choice) is closed. Gerard Besson is nearby and open -- any good?

We can take the Metro anywhere, so geography doesn't matter too much, but we are staying at the Hotel du Louvre (1er) and Hotel Brittanique (border of 1er and 4e) and walking or a short Metro ride is a nice thing. While we're at it, any comments on those two hotels are welcome...

Thanks!

Edited to change "close" to "nearby" in case of confusion

Edited by vinobiondo (log)

Except for sushi and sashimi places, I can't think of any "inappropriate" place. It is very rare that you get a set menu and nothing else. Most of the time you'll have plenty of options to pick from. Many places will serve offal but you don't have to order it. As for duck, foie gras and rabbit, it is very unlikely that you'll be served them without being aware of it. And they don't usually bang the tête de veau or the pied de cochon onto your table without warning you first. You have to order them.

Your questions are somewhat hard to answer when you know that every bistrot in Paris will have some of what your girlfriend likes and some of what she dislikes. Just don't let her order any of the latter, that's all. The places where they serve the best pieds de cochon in Paris happen to be the same places serving great côtes de bœuf. The king of oysters will also propose great fish and seafood.

And if this is your girlfriend's first time in Paris, I'm quite confident that she will leave this town liking a few more things than she did when she arrived. You may help her in this. Coming to Paris is not likely to be food torture to her.

Do either of you speak French? If not maybe this could inject a little more adventurousness into her dining.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I don't think you have to be concerned at all either. A restaurant may or may not have some of the items you mentionned on the menu, but there will always be other choices. You may want to avoid places like C'Amelot or La Cave de l'Os à Moelle since they offer no choice but otherwise I wouldn't think twice about it.

You have many good choices on your list. I'm not so sure that I would run to Ambassade d'Auvergne though.

And just so you know the Chef from De la Garde has recently taken over A Beauvilliers in the 18th, so you might want to try that instead.

Last night I went to La Cerisie, which has been mentionned here many times and it was excellent. Your girlfriend would have been limited to what she could have as there was a lot of duck, goose, foie gras,etc, but there was still a beef and fish choice that I'm sure she would have been happy with.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

My opinion (most non-comments are because I haven't been in a year or two):

Le Regalade - yes

L'Os a Moelle

Chez Catherine - now pricey

La Fontaine de Mars - no

Chez Dumonet

Ambassade d'Auvergne

Le Dome du Marais - wonderful setting

Le Coude Fou

L'Entredgeu

Mon Vieil Ami - yes

L'Epi Dupin

Au Bon Accueil -definately

Chez l'Ami Jean

D'Chez Eux

Cafe Constant - yes

Chez Jean

Chez Michel

Le Repaire de Cartouche yes for a certain mood

Au Trou Gascon (ok, I doubt it will work)

L'Ourcine - been found

De Lagarde - as Felice says, he's at Beauvilliers which has a higher price/quality ration than most reviewers like.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

An excellent 1* is Les Magnolias, 48 av. Bry 01 48 72 47 43. It is outside of Paris proper, but you can easily get there with the RER. Do a search on this site for directions and reviews. It is open on Monday evenings. Be sure not to miss the last train back if you go. We caught the last one back the last time we dined there!

I also highly recommend Les Fables de la Fontaine, 131 St.Dominque 7th , 01.44.18.37.55. This is owned by Christian Constant and they serve fish only. Cooked!! Excellent and friendly.

Cinq Mars 51, rue de Verneuil 7th 01.45.44.69.13 is an excellent bistrot. Very comfortable setting, with excellent food.

La Cigale Recamier 7th 01.45.48.86.58 4, rue Recamier on the Sq. Recamier is an excellent, sunny location for lunch. Souflees are their specialty, but they have a varied menu. We loved it there. They are open Monday for lunch.

As for Guy Savoy, we had an excellent dinner there a few years ago. Just don't fill up on their bread! They brought a bread cart with every course and it is to tempting and to filling! Enjoy.

My wife is major picky so picking a interesting restauant is always a challenge.We have always been sucessful at Chez Catherine tho it is more expensive since they have moved They are also very friendly. She also really likes chez Michel- which kind of surprises me but we always have a great meal there tho their attitude is so so.We both really love Taillevant and Le Meurice-tho we go to both for lunch. Le Grand Vefour is a better value for lunch than diner.As to Barcelona she did like both Abac and Ca l'Ilidre[this was a great value]- i was very apprehensive about both. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just finished a three-month eating tour of Paris - here's my findings for what they're worth:

PARIS BISTROS BY ARRONDISEMENT

L'Ardoise (Yves Camdeborde recommended), 28 rue du Mont Thabor, Paris 1st (Metro: Tuileries), Chef Pierre Jay used to cook for the famous La Tour d'Argent - - there is a 31-euro prix fixe with 10 choices per course with copious portions. Food is traditional ingredients prepared in a crossover to modern style. (escargots bourgogne, marinated sardines with tapenade, sushi St. Jacques, biche en cocotte, filet with pommes anna, beautiful cabillaud (cod) stuffed with legumes Tel.: 01-42-96-28-18.

La Tour de Montlhery (Chez Denise) 5 rue des Prouvaires 0142362182 (metro Les Halles or Chatelet or walk - it is a small street that crosses r. Ste Honore one block after r. du Pont-Neuf). Owner is Denise Benariac. Chef is Bernard Noel. Survivor of old Halles market district. Open 24 hrs. Mon thru Fri. frisée salade with lardons and egg, civet de chevreuil (venison stew) with raspberry confiture, cotes de boeuf for two, Pot-au-feu on Thursday, Beaujolais from barrel Dinner 36Euros Portions are enough for two persons. (R.W. APPLE Jr. low-level recommendation)

Chez La Vieille 1 rue Bailleul 0142601578 (metro Louvre street between St. Honore and rue de Rivoli, Arbre Sec and r. du Louvre. Adrienne Biasin retired - new owner Marie-Josee Cervoni from Corsica. Order the main course and then help yourself to starts and desserts (sanglier terrine, stuffed cabbage, mussel and tomato salad for starters. (APPLE recommendation) Open for lunch only and Thursday night for dinner)

Chez Clovis 33 rue Berger (metro. Chatelet-les-Halles). Owner Claude Cornut0142339707. Closed Sunday. Welcome until midnight. Auvergne charcuterie, saucisson Lyonaise with lentils, Pont Neuf thick-cut french fries, pot-au-feu with beef marrow on baguette and gray sea salt.

A la Cloche des Halles 28 rue Coquilliere (metro Les-Halles or Louvre-Palais Royal) 0142369389 Wine bistro owned by Annie and Serge Lesage. Salades, cold meats, charcuteries and good cheese. Closed Sat. afternoon and Sunday. Used to deliver produce to Les Halles from farm in Normandy. Gets good wines from small producers and bottles them himself in back of bistro.

Aux Tonneaux des Halles 28 rue Montorqueil (behind church of St-Eustache metro Chatelet les Halles) Wine bistro. Patrick Fabre owner.

Au Pied de Cochon 6 rue Coquillière 0140137700 - very touristy looking and uninteresting menu

Juveniles 47 rue de Richelieu (J17)near Palais Royale and Comedie Francais

Pharamond 24 rue de la Grande Truanderie (J19) near les Halles

Chez Pauline 5, rue Villedo near Bourse (owner-chef A. Génin - third generation) many real French truffle dishes (scrambled eggs, poulet Bresse for two) very warm but elegant atmosphere with chef who comes out and greets and advises the clientele. Poule au pot. Menu for 29 euros 0142962070

L'Absinthe 24 Place du Marché Ste. Honoré (I17) near Place Vendome - chef Michel Rostang

Poule au Pot 9 rue Vauvilliers 0142363296 - dinner only and closed Mon.

Aux Lyonnais, 32 rue Saint Marc, Paris 2nd (Metro: Bourse) Tel. 01-42-96-65-04. Very good example of food from Lyon (the 2nd gastronomic city in France although if you're Lyonnais, you would say it is number 1) owned by Alain Ducasse (the only man who has 2 and 3 Michelin Stars at the same time) superbe food - menu for 28 euros with two choices per course. The quenelle et écrevisses is outstanding and the emincé de chou blanc, oeuf mollet et canard confit for entreé is as well. I could just make a meal out of their herbed fromage blanc and bread. If you're willing to sit at the high table against the wall, it's usually open for non-reservations.

Le Mesturet 77 Rue de Richelieu (Metro Richelieu-Druot no. 8 direction Balard or no. 9 direction Pont de Sevres) 0142974068 Alain Fontaine (also La Baracane in Marais) artisanel Rocamadour cheese and southwest poultry fom small producers and inexpensive wines (Marcillac) Terrine of free-range chicken with vegetable chutney, blanqueete de veau

Chez Georges 1 rue de Mail 0142600711 (Metro Sentier no. 3 direction Pont de Levallons stop before Bourse) Bernard Brouillet menu on old duplicator. Happy place everyone talks to everyone. Seared onglet (hanger steak), don't get offal or veal sweetbreads, filet of sole with white wine sauce is house specialty and filleted at table. Great wine list. (APPLE RECOMMENDATION) - seemed very expensive for what the menu offers

Cafe Moderne 40 rue Notre-Dame-des-Victoires (nearest Metro Bourse no. 3 direction pont de lavallois- not far from rue de Petit Champs 0153408410. A gastro-bistro with chef Sebastien Altazian who trained with Michel Rostang.

Angl'Opera 39 ave. de l'Opera (metro Opera) 0142618625. Horrible food from chef Gilles Choukroun meets with equally horrible service for a high price.

Chez Réné 14 Blvd. St. Germaine 0143543023

L'Ami Louis 32 rue du Vertbois 0148877748 (Metro Temple or Arts and Metiers no. 3 (direction Gallieni) or 11 (direction Mairie des Lilas) chef Louis Gadby. Fresh roasted chicken, baby leg of lamb, rib of beef. Snails, scallops, potato cake. Morels if available from Compiegne. Large portions. Lunch is best especially on Sunday. (TOP APPLE RECOMMENDATION) - OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE - ONLY GO ON SOMEONE ELSE'S TICKET

Le Clos du Vert-Bois 13 rue du vert Bois 0142771485 Closed Sat lunch and Monday

Chez Jenny 39 Blvd. du Temple (J20)

Le Petit Marché 9 rue de Bearn 0142720667 Great food and good wine, local place. Menu 12.50 for 2 courses. House wines (Gascony) are 3 euros per glass. Pureed chestnut soup, grilled perch with chanterelles, cream of clementine aux amandes. If they like you you get a glass of melon digestif. Great deal!!

Camille - 24 rue Francs Bourgeois (corner of rue. des Francs Bourgeois and rue Elzivir) great local bistro with traditional French food and waiters. Pot au feu, blanquette de veau, steak tartar, cassoulet, Menu for 25 euros including dessert nice wine by pitcher or glass choices (Cote de Rhone) 0142722050

Tart place on rue. des Francs Bourgeois down street from Camille - all women - tarts sale and sucre served with salad side for 8.50

Place across from tart place - good menu for 12 euros.

La Guirlande de Julie 25 Place des Vosges The bistro for the Tour d'Argent with chef prix fixe menu at 25 euros for three courses. 0148879407 Other than the roasted duck I don't think it's worth it.

Aux Vin des Pyrénees 25 rue Beautrellis. Very nice bistro, wood tables, menu for 11.50 for two courses with excellent chef (run out of menu items early) Service is slow and forgetful. Good wine selection. 0142726494

Brasserie Île Ste. Louis One of the most authentic little brasseries on the island just across the bridge from Notre Dame. M. Cité Lots of ex-pats and regular French standing at the bar lifting their Alsatian green-stemmed wine glasses or pots of good beer. Menu for 25 euros - good food, good portions (gigot d'agneau).

Benoit 20 rue St.-Martin 0142722576 (on border between 3 and 4 arr. near Centre Pompidou metro Rambuteau no. 11 direction Mairie des Lilas) founded in 1912 by Benoit Martray, now his grandson Michel Petit. Beaujolais bought in casks and bottled in their own cellars. Cassoulet. Only bistro in Paris with Michelin star. (APPLE RECOMMENDATION) - very snooty and expensive and touristy - I wouldn't waste the time or money.

Bofinger, 5-7 rue de la Bastille, Paris 4th or 12th (Metro: bastille); tel. 01-42-7287-82. Cassoulet de poisson, coquillages. Beautiful brasserie but very touristy

Baracane 38 rue des Tournelles (K22) Alain Fontaine (also Le Mesturet in 2º) menu for 25 euros - decent place known for its cassoulet and its gateau. Bad oil for frying fish and very gay service. 0142714333

Le Vieux Bistro 14 rue de Cloître Nôtre Dame (opposite Notre Dame) very old bistro - traditional menu and good prices

L'Impasse 4 Impasse Guéménée - closed Sat. lunch, Sun, Mon. lunch - 0142720845 - menu for 25 euros

Au 7 7 rue de l'Avé Maria (between Rue St. Paul and Hotel de Sens 0142786549 Closed Sun. Mon. - Modern and uncomfortable looking but interesting menu

Cap Sud - rue de Birague (b/t of rue de Rivoli and the Place des Vosges). Tiny dive with great French/South American food for great price 11.50 menu. Venezuelan chef gastronomically trained.

Gaspard dans la Nuit - 6 rue des Tournelles (just around the corner from Bofinger's) - great little place that is becoming too touristy - wonderful old man owner who's been there for 30+ years. A bit pricey. 0142779053

Mon Vieil Ami - 69 rue St. Louis en Île - modern, famous chef - touristy but supposedly good food - Reservation needed 0140460135

Rue des Rosiers - Finkelsteins for cheesecake and pastrami sandwiches on onion rolls - absolutely delicious!!

Loisir dans le Thière - for tea and cake - funky old couches and stuffed chairs - good cheap plat de jour and lots of homemade cakes - good tea choice for a reasonable price.

Le Bouchon - wine bar with good pasta and wok dishes rue rivoli just a block from St. Paul metro 1 block towards Hotel de Ville

La Tartine - great place to hang out (non-smoking area in back corner) and lots of cheap tartines on Poilane bread, decent inexpensive wines by the glass - rue rivoli across from St. Paul metro

Bistro Louis Philippe - authentic, old world bistro with cheap coquillages/huitres plats du jour, a tiny, windy staircase to upstairs and an outdoor terrace - across from the Seine at end of rue Louis Philippe - food is decent.

Tea room and place with Briques - authentic moroccan the a la menthe or other teas, soupe, omelettes, scrambled eggs, desserts - 11 menu with huge portions - down the cobblestoned walkway across from Bistro Louis Philippe (above).

Bistro Jean-Bart - corner of rue rivoli and ormand? - incredibly cheap - crepes, galettes, moules/frites (6 euros), pasta.

tions - .

Place with lievre royale on the corner walking from rue rivoli towards Pont Marie metro.

La Rotisserie du Beaujolais 19 rue de la Tournelle M. Maubert-Mutualite. Roasted, grilled meats and fowl. Pricey. I believe it is owned as by Tour d'Argent. Rotisserie canard and chicken with garlic mashed potatoes. 0143541747.

Les Papilles (30 Rue Gay-Lussac Metro stop Luxembourg RER B direction Orly ) 0143252079 Classic bistro cuisine served at small tables next to shelves of olives oils, jams and wines. Latin Quarter choose wine from racks or takeout. Bebert is chef (formerly pastry chef at The Bristol), menu changes daily. Caulifower soup with chorizo confetti, roast rack of lamb, baba au rhum, oysters in season and charcuterie. Prix fixe 34.

Chez Rene 14 Blvd. St. Germaine des Pres (Metro Maubert-Mutualite RER B direction Orly) 0143543023 Dinner $55

Moissonier 28 rue des Fossés St. Bernard (Metro Jussieu no. 7 direction Mairie d'ivry just before Gare d'austerlitz) 0143298765 Traditional, classic and very good featuring excellent regional menu. Prix fixe $24

Champagne et Provence 25 Quai Tournelle (M20)

La Timonerie 35 Quai de Tournelle (M20)

***Le Comptoir (Yves Camdeborde) 9 carrefour de l'Odeon M. Odeon - great food. No reservations for lunch - line up at about noon only 24 places inside and blankets for about 12 outside. Dinner reservations a couple of months in advance (although if you go early on the night of and are willing to take a chance and wait there is usually an opening) for 40 euro fixed menu which is outstanding. He tends bar and busses tables and talks with old rugby friends and fellow chefs who stop by. Glass of Juraçon wine for a starter and try his family's boudin blanc. He's great as a person and a chef - real, good values. He and wife own hotel next door as well (Le Relais St. Germaine) . 01 43 29 12 05.

Allard 41 rue St.-Andre-des-Arts 0143264823 (Metro St. Michel no. 4 (d. Pte. D'Orleans), 10(d. Boulogne Pte. de St. Cloud), RER B (d. Orly), C(d. Versailles) Claude Leyrac. Cucumber salad, duckling with olives, beef, veal and lamb stew.

(APPLE low-level recommendation)

Josephine 117 rue du Cherche-Midi 0145485240 (Metro Vaneau no. 10 di. Boulogne Pte. de St. Cloud) or Metro Duroc no. 13 direction Chatillon Montrouge) Jean-Christian Dumonet chef. Specialty TRUFFLES in omelets and ragouts, langoustines. Wednesday lunch classic leg of lamb with white beans, boeuf bourguigon on other days. (APPLE recommendation)

Aux Charpentiers 10 rue Mabillon (Metro Mabillon no. 10 d. Gare d'Austerlitz) 0143263005

Da Rosa 62 rue de Seine (metro Mabillon no. 10 d. Gard d'Austerlitz) 0140510009 A deli with a few tables and a selection of specialty foods fabored by local chefs

Ecole Superieure de Cuisine Francaise Ferandi 28 rue de L'abbe Gregoire (metro St. Placide no. 4 d. Porte d'orleans) For reservations in English contact Stephanie Curtis 0145270909. Four-course meal at the fourth-floor restaurant costs $23, $28 or $45 depending on day of the week and what level of students are cooking. Escoffier classics. Bad service.

L'Ami Jean 27 Rue Malar 0147058680 (Metro Pt. d'Alma RER C direction Versailles yellow line) Basque restaurant Stephane Jego formerly sous-chef to Yves Camdeborde (former owner La Regalade).

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (Hotel Pont Royal) 5 rue de Montalembert M. rue du Bac. Modern, Counter seating only. Reservations between 11:30 and 12:30 or 5:30 and 6:30 otherwise first come first served. Tasting menu for 98 euros. Good sommelier and decent selection by the glass. The best meal I had in Paris!!! 01 42 22 56 56

Beliota-Bellota 18 rue Jean-Nicot (metro La Tour-Maubourgs no. 8 d. Balard metro Invalides no 8 d. Balard) Grocery with tables. A menu of dishes based on the shop's Spanish hams and cheeses 0153599696

Au Bon Accueil, 14 rue Monttessuy 7º (K12) (Metro: Ecole Militaire). Small

restuarant a stone throw away from the Eiffel Tower - small neighborhood restaurant - good meals, reasonably priced - lace-curtains on the windows.

Le Clos des Gourmets (K1) M. Ecole Militaire (Arnaud Peitrois and wife worked with Guy Savoy) 16 ave. Rapp 0145517561

Chez Savy 23 rue Bayard 0147234698 (metro FDR no. 1 d. La Defense or no. 9 d. Pont de Sevres) Founded in 1923 with roots in the Auvergne. Petit farçou (fat pancake of spinach, chard, leeks and herbs) slow-cooked shoulder of lamb, jug of Cahors. Eat in narrow front room (le wagon) (APPLE recommendation)

L'Atelier des Chefs 10 rue de Penthievre (metro Miromesnil no. 9 d. Pont de Sevres or no. 13 d. Chatillon) 0153300582 1/2 cooking classes with 21 other students - make lunch and then eat for $20.

Chez Tante Louise, 41 rue Boissy d'Anglas, Paris 8th (Metro: Madeleine); tel: 01-42-65-06-85; classic burgundian dishes like your grandma used to cook in Burgundy.

Le Table du Lancaster 7 rue Berri M. FDR 0140764076

Au Petit Riche 25 rue Le Peletier M. Le Peletier 0147706868

10°

La Grille 80 rue Faubourg-Poissonniere 0147708973 (Metro 7 direction La Courneuve stop at Poissonniere just after Cadet) Yves Cullerre (silver-handlebar moustache) Country eggs with country ham, lamb chops, chocolate mousse, specialty turbot grilled with buerre blanc, sliced potatoes and house Sancerre Domaine Tabordet (APPLE RECOMMENDATION)

Chez Michel 10 rue de Belzunce M. Gare du Nord 0144530620

11°

Le Marsangy 73 Avenue Parmentier 0147009425 (Metro Parmantier no. 3 direction Gailleni) red walls low lighting hip crowd, bargain wine list plump langoustines in lemon chive vinaigreet whole wild sea bass roasted with fresh dill and couscous

Le Sot l'y Laisse 70 Rue Alexandre-Dumas 010097920 (between 11 and 20 arr. (Metro Alexandre-Dumas no. 2 direction Nation) noisy smoky storefont bistro where young avant-garde chefs hang out. Sauteed chanterelles with chipolata sausage,

Aux Vieux Chêne 7 Rue du Dahomey 0145716769 (Metro Faidherbe-Chaligny 8 after Bastille and Ledrou-Rollin) Stephane Chevassus changes menu daily (neighborhood secret place) escalope of panfried foie gras on fresh Paimpol beans in duck jus, langoustines in crisp parsley with mango chutney, huge entrecote with creamy slab of gratin dauphinois - tables in brightly lit dining room with vintage 1900 era tile floor and zinc bar are in continuous demand - Reservation recommended. Good food for the price - menu 28 euros

Le Temps au Temps 13 rue Paul-Bert (Metro Faidherbe-Chaligny 8 after Bastille and Ledrou-Rollin) 0143796340 old favorites with new cuisine - stuffed baby clams on bed of tetragone (Provencale spinach), cream of Jerusalem artichoke soup with shavings of Spanish pata negra ham, tenrons de veau braised in a casserole with thyme and raspberries and served with sauce of salt-butter caramel.

Le Murano (Hotel dining room on border between 3 and 11 arr.) 13 Boulevard du Temple 0142712000 (metro Temple no.11 direction Mairie des Lilas or the no. 3 direction Gailleni) - try for a drink otherwise sounds disgusting.

Cartet 62 rue de Malte 0148051765 (Metro Oberkampf no. 5 direction Place d'Italie or no. 9 d. Mairie de Montreuil) original chef Marie-Antoinette Cartet 8-table bistro near Place de la Republique now Marie-Therese and Raymond Nouaille took over 20 yrs. ago. Lunch and dinner. Boeuf a la ficelle (beef suspended over boiling stock, lemon tart? (APPLE low recommendation)

Chardenoux 1 rue Jules Valles (metro Charonne no. 9 d. Nation/ mairie de Montreuil) 0143714952

Auberge Pyrennes-Chevenne, 106 rue de Folie Menilmotant, Paris 11th (Metro: Republique); Lyonnais specialties; they cure their own meats.

Polidor, rue Monsieur Le Pince, Paris 6th (Metro: Odeon); one of the oldest cantine in the sorbonne area - tables sit about 10 people you share with other diners; reasonable, good classic french meals.

Le Refectoire 80 Blvd. Richard Lenoir M. St. Ambroise 0148057485

Le Repaire du Cartouche 8 Bd. quartre filles du Calvaire M. Sebastian-Fossart 0147002586 (formerly worked at Le Regalade under Camdeborde - YC recommends) - upstairs bistro, downstairs fine diningish. Great food for the price. The daube de oie is fantastic!!

Les Grandes Marches 6 Place de la Bastille (next to the Opera) M. Opera (V. Constant Chretian)

12°

La Biche au Bois, 45 avenue Ledru Rollin, Paris 12th (Metro: Gare de Lyon or Bastille); specialties are foie gras, coq au vin and traditional french dishes - very

reasonable

13°

L'Ourcine 92 rue Broca (metro les Gobelines no. 7 direction Place d'italie) 0147071365. Creative bistro cooking from Sylvain Daniere acolyte of Yves Camdeborde formerly of La Regalade

L'Avant Gout 25 rue Bobillot M. Place d'Italie 0153802400

14°

La Cerisaie 70 Blvd. Edgar-Quinet (Metro Edgar-Quinet No. 6 direction Nation or no. 4 direction Porte d'Orleans) 0143209898 21 seats Marysel Lalanne (dining room) husband Cyril (kitchen) L,D no reservations; daily blackboard - cream of chestnut soup with foe gras shavings, terrine of confit de canard, pan-roasted goose breast

Le Cave des Papilles 35 rue Daguerre M. Gaité 0143200574

15°

L'Ami Marcel 33 Rue Georges Pitard 0148566206 (Metro Plaisance No. 13 direction Chatillon Montrouge) young team with haute experience - snails with arugula, cod steak with polenta, duck terrine

L'Os a Moelle 3 rue de Vasco da Gama M. Lourmel 0145572727 (Yves Camdeborde rec.ommends)

16°

17°

18°

La Famille 41 rue des Trois Freres 0142521112 (metro Pigalle or Abesses no. 12 d. Porte de la Chapelle) Some of the most inventive cooking in Paris from up-and-coming chef Inaki Aizpitarte, a protege of Gilles Choukroun HE'S OPENED HIS OWN PLACE AND IS NO LONGER AT LA FAMILLE - check on eGullet thread to see the latest info

• 6 months later...
I've heard there are a number of small bistro and restaurants in Paris with chefs from starred restaurants. What are some of the best examples?

I presume you mean are there starred chefs who have spun-off secondary places. Indeed. The most recent is three-star chef Guy Martin of Grand Vefour who started Sensing a few weeks ago - my review is here but my friend the real food critic had a horrible meal, so buyer beware. Three-star chef Pierre Gagnaire revived a seafood place Gaya Rive Gauche last year. Three-star chef Guy Savoy has his three or is it four Bistrots. Christian Constant left the two star Ambassadeurs to found the one star Violin d'Ingres with two annexes (the Fables de la Fontaine + Cafe Constant practically next door) and spawned almost a dozen others from his staff at the hotel - immodestly, I can refer you to an article in Bonjour Paris called "The Culinary Children of Christian Constant" the week of March 27-31 giving the details. Two-star chef Michel Rostang has a number of Bistros d'a Cote which you can visit on his website. Two-star chef Helene Darroze not only has her upstairs two star place but a downstairs light food place and this month a finger food part in the old entry. Two star chef Joel Robuchon has both an Atelier + Table. One star chef Jacques Cagna has both a Rôtisserie d'en face +L'Espadon bleu nearby. Oh my what am I leaving out? Who will be offended?

You've got enough here to do some serious searching on eGullet.

Now the tough one. Charcuterie. I'll leave the answer to others.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I've heard there are a number of small bistro and restaurants in Paris with chefs from starred restaurants. What are some of the best examples?

Also, Yves Camdeborde (ex Ambassadeurs, Regalade) at Le Comptoir and Alain Senderens, formerly of Lucas-Carton, at Senderens.

And then there are all the chefs that worked in three and two star restaurants, like under Constant, who have started their own restaurants: L'Os a Moelle, Au Camelot, Le Regalde and LeComptoir, L'Ardoise. Didn't the chef at L'Astrance work with Senderans? :biggrin:

And then there are all the chefs that worked in three and two star restaurants, like under Constant, who have started their own restaurants: L'Os a Moelle, Au Camelot, Le Regalde and LeComptoir, L'Ardoise.  Didn't the chef at L'Astrance work with Senderans? :biggrin:

Pascal Barbot of L'Astrance worked with Alain Passard at Arpege.