• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Annapolis and Eastern Shore Dining

raisab

I have been spending my weekends in Annapolis lately. Does anyone know what restaurants are worth visiting?

Also whcih is better The Bistro at St. Michaels or SHerwoods Landing at Perry Cabin?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I spent my anniversary at the Inn at Easton two weeks ago and I will ,say it's the best thing going on the Eastern Shore. As for Annapolis, O'Leary's gets the nod. Recent threads can be found for both. Out Of The Fire down the street from The Inn @ E. is good but has rocking wine list that is damn near free.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

I spent my anniversary at the Inn at Easton two weeks ago and I will ,say it's the best thing going on the Eastern Shore.

Jarad's got good taste. :biggrin: See this post for a report on the impeccable meal that Sara and I had at the Inn at Easton in June.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I have tried O'Learys and enjoyed it very much. I especially appreciated their service. A group of six of us walked in w/o a reservation (not the same six Jared, we got rid of one set), we waited at the bar for a table to open up. We probably waited 30 minutes. No big deal, we were enjoying our drinks, but their Manager felt we waited to long and sent complimentary appetizers. This was completely not necessary but the gesture was very much appreciated!

BTW thank you for your replies. I will certainly try Out of The Fire. Thanx for the tip. I am already planning a boat trip to Inn at Easton in October. Do they have a marina?

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I have tried O'Learys and enjoyed it very much. I especially appreciated their service. A group of six of us walked in w/o a reservation (not the same six Jared, we got rid of one set), we waited at the bar for a table to open up. We probably waited 30 minutes. No big deal, we were enjoying our drinks, but their Manager felt we waited to long and sent complimentary appetizers. This was completely not necessary but the gesture was very much appreciated!

BTW thank you for your replies. I will certainly try Out of The Fire. Thanx for the tip. I am already planning a boat trip to Inn at Easton in October. Do they have a marina?

No, the Inn is located in the village of Easton, but not very far from St. Michael's and Oxford. I'm sure if you call the Inn they can tell you about some of the nearest marinas.

Inn at Easton

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Ditto on the O'Learys recommendations - i personally think the best in annapolis. For more casual, I also like 49 West, great coffee and desserts and the other food's good too. My friends like Lewnes, but I've never been - and Joss is good for sushi.

Hmmm, Annapolis area favorites

Asian: Yin Yankee

Italian: Piccola Roma for fine dining, Mama Lucia's for pizza

Sunday brunch: Boatyard Bar and Grill (laidback atmosphere, great for kids)

Ladies' lunch: Main Ingredient or Wild Orchid Cafe

Ice cream: Aromi d'Italia (gelati, really)

And one I've been wanting to try... Sputnik Cafe

Cheers!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Emotionally at least, the Eastern Shore is way below the Mason Dixon Line. As you drive about keep an eye open for Fire Department and Church BBQ's and Breakfasts. Not necessarily fine dining but almost guaranteed good eating.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Of the four that I mentioned in my first post (Inn at Easton, 208 Talbot, Narrows and Suicide Bridge restaurant) if you are coming by boat you would really like Suicide Bridge which is an idyllic setting in a quiet cove. In my opinion this is Maryland's best overall Maryland style/Eastern shore style seafood restaurant. What I mean by this is that it features fresh rockfish stuffed with lump crab imperial, cream of crab soup with lumps of crab meat on top (ask for a side of sherry), red vegetable crab soup and so forth. Totally dissimilar from the Inn at Easton or 208 Talbot which are both excellent but both represent a different take on Eastern shore cooking, if you will. It has received no attention on this board or Chowhound or Roadfood's forums despite having grown incrimentally since first opened in the 1920's. It is NOT the same kind of experience as the first two nor does it feature a similar cuisine. This is what you would find at Jerry's in Lanham except with ambience and a water setting. Website is: http://www.suicidebridge.com/

One more consideration for travelling by boat: if you like hard shell crabs, Maryland's best crab house is not Cantler's, nor Popes Creek, nor the Drift Inn, Evans, Red Roost, Crab Alley or any of the others I've been to over the years. It's Waterman's in Rock Hall which is 7 or 8 nautical miles from the Bay Bridge or, by car, a 48 mile drive. (Actually named Maryland's best crab house by Chesapeake Living magazine every year since the mid '90's.) They usually have jumbos steamed to order, exemplery cream of crab soup, crab imperial, very good lump crab cakes (not on par with the Narrows) and very good sides along with other fresh fish. But the big deal are the two outdoor decks with picnic tables on a pier flanking either side of a bandstand where on our last visit a six piece oldies band was playing. There are 15 marinas in the upscale Rock Hall, one of Maryland's most beautiful settings. Website is:

http://www.rockhallmd.com/watermans/

Jumbo's by the way at Suicide and Waterman's are $45 a dozen; at Bo Brooks and Cantler's they are $75.

This is a post of mine on another board about one weekend's trip searching for Maryland's best crab cake that you may find interesting: http://www.chowhound.com/midatlantic/board...ages/44130.html

Lewnes was mentioned in another post. It is an Annapolis tradition and much preferred by me over Ruth's Chris literally 50 yards down the same street. It is interesting, dark with a warren of rooms-a lot of character. But the steak is no better than Morton's and the sides come up a bit short. Still, it is excellent, privately owned and worth seeking out. Just don't expect Luger's or Sostanza.

• 1 month later...

My sister is comming down from CT to visit, and is staying with some family in Annapolis. Well, not 'some family'. We're all related, in fact. Anyway, I'm going up there for dinner tomorrow, and have no idea what to suggest. They'll doubtless have a couple good choices lined up (In fact, that's what I'm hoping), but I should have something to toss in. Basically what I'm asking is, what's the Annapolis equivlent of say, Firefly, or the front room of Palena, or one of the other places I'd suggest for a tasty, low-key, never been there before but want to go, not blatantly wallet busting dinner if they were comming to DC rather than the other way around ( :hmmm: )!

Thanks!

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

My sister is comming down from CT to visit, and is staying with some family in Annapolis.  Well, not 'some family'.  We're all related, in fact.  Anyway, I'm going up there for dinner tomorrow, and have no idea what to suggest. They'll doubtless have a couple good choices lined up (In fact, that's what I'm hoping), but I should have something to toss in.  Basically what I'm asking is, what's the Annapolis equivlent of say, Firefly,  or the front room of Palena,  or one of the other places I'd suggest for a tasty, low-key, never been there before but want to go, not blatantly wallet busting dinner if they were comming to DC rather than the other way around ( :hmmm: )!

Thanks!

If you're into Sushi, you could try the Yin Yankee Cafe. I had a family get together there a while back and the food was good. Fun place and fun website.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

If you're into Sushi, you could try the Yin Yankee Cafe. I had a family get together there a while back and the food was good. Fun place and fun website.

:angry: No, no no no.

Yin Yankee Cafe is a muddle of dollar-short day-late trendiness, all ginger-whipped this and fusion that. If you packed Spices' nose with wasabi and gorgonzola and caught the sneeze on a plate, you'd get Yin Yankee's "Crabchops". The sushi tends to be a little fishy; service is young-and-fumbling, not young-and-enthusiastic; and for God's sake just stop already with the "ah, so crever!" chinoiserie.

I have eaten waaaay too many times here (the last time was about a year ago, so take my hyperbole with a grain of salt if you wish).

Edited by eunny jang (log)

:angry:  No, no no no.

Yin Yankee Cafe is a muddle of dollar-short day-late trendiness, all ginger-whipped this and fusion that.  If you packed Spices' nose with wasabi and gorgonzola and caught the sneeze on a plate, you'd get Yin Yankee's "Crabchops".  The sushi tends to be a little fishy; service is young-and-fumbling, not young-and-enthusiastic; and for God's sake just stop already with the "ah, so crever!" chinoiserie.

I have eaten waaaay too many times here (the last time was about a year ago, so take my hyperbole with a grain of salt if you wish).

I didn't try the crabsnot, so I can't attest to its quality. :huh:

-- A.B.

Looks good! That's a pretty funky website they've got there, too.

Eunny Jang: So wait, don't order that?

49 West looks good, but not for tomorrow. More like the place I'd be at all the time for coffee and food.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Looks good!  That's a pretty funky website they've got there, too.

Eunny Jang: So wait, don't order that?

49 West looks good, but not for tomorrow.  More like the place I'd be at all the time for coffee and food.

Annapolis doesn't really do the Firefly kind of place. Some of the places have been there for decades. Other locations just seem to be cursed.

49 West can also be the place for dessert.....

If you want sushi, goto Joss: http://www.josscafe-sushibar.com/

O'Leary's for fish is excellent.

Northwoods is also supposed to be good. though it's about a mile out of downtown. I've also had friends who liked Harry Brownes - it's on State Circle. Haven't been to either of these. Usually when I'm back in Annapolis, I'm at bars like Galway Bay (one of the better Irish bars there food-wise) or Riordans.

Don't go to Ram's Head, Pusser's, Phillips, or Ego Alley for food. Drinks there - ok.

Also, one of the boat shows is this weekend - parking's going to be tough!

rbh: Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep all that in mind. In other news, I called home to get the latest, and it sounds like we might be eating in after all. My aunt is a great cook, so that suits me fine!

Matt Robinson

• 4 months later...

How do you rate a restaurant like Maria's? :raz:

Seriously, I may be meeting family at Maria's in Annapolis for dinner Saturday night and I need to determine if I should veto the idea and redirect everyone to some other option nearby. I went once many years ago when my taste buds weren't quite so spoiled and liked it, but has anyone been lately?

Edited to add: Maria's Webpage

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

-- A.B.

As a 14 year Annapolis (or nearby) resident, my $.02

Sushi: Joss, Joss, Joss Get some okra tempura and spring roll salad also.

Lewnes: earlier guy right on, good steaks, sides marginal at best, pricy.

O'Leary's: Very consistent quality, can be really noisy. try to get the little room to the left as you enter.

Deli: Chick and Ruth's on Main street is fun, good sandwiches, good breakfast, Pledge of Allegiance at 8:30 AM.

Best value: Jalapeno's in the Forest Plaza shopping center in Parole across from the Outback steak house (avoid, obviously). Spanish/Mexican, good tapas, consistently good food at good prices. Say hi to Gonzalo for me.

Crabs: Cantler's is overrated IMHO, OK for crabs, other stuff spotty, crowded (insert flames here) running on reputation. But you can get decent crabs at most of the local spots. I like Mike's on the South River on Riva Road. Not fancy, not fine dining, stuff other than crabs ranges from OK to good. Crabs will be from Louisiana this time of year. Mike's! I can hear the Cantler heads saying Mikes???? :laugh:

Maria's: Way overrated IMHO, go next door to McGarvey's and have a beer and a burger.

Bistro french: Les Folies on Riva Road. Consistent good raw bar, bistro chow, nice atmosphere.

Bar: Acme Bar and Grille, next to Chick and Ruth's on Main street. Local's hang out.

Food OK, wings and sandwiches.

How do you rate a restaurant like Maria's?  :raz:

Seriously, I may be meeting family at Maria's in Annapolis for dinner Saturday night and I need to determine if I should veto the idea and redirect everyone to some other option nearby. I went once many years ago when my taste buds weren't quite so spoiled and liked it, but has anyone been lately?

Edited to add: Maria's Webpage

I wasn't paying all that much attention to the dates when I posted yesterday. I would say VETO on Maria's. I've walked out of there due to a non-service/ignored situation. Last time I went with work colleagues for lunch (within last year, their choice) and was served the lamest excuse for pasta fagiole, like canned vegetable soup with about 6 beans and 4 pieces of tiny pasta.

Anyway, much better options available. Does everyone want to be downtown? My two favorites for a group would be Jalapeno's or Les Folies, but they're not downtown.

http://www.jalapenosonline.com/

http://www.lesfoliesbrasserie.com/

For downtown, Joss is my favorite, but they don't take reservations, can make for a wait on Saturday night, don't know if your crowd likes Japanese. Plenty of non raw offerings for the sushi squeamish

http://www.josscafe-sushibar.com/josshome2.htm

O'Leary's is good also, but it's in Eastport on the other side of Spa creek from downtown. Nice walk in nice weather, too cold, no fun. Consistently good, a little more expensive. The crispy grouper is really good, I had a duck entree last time there that was excellent.

http://www.olearys-seafood.com/about.htm

Anyway, let me know if you have more detailed requirements, I can try to make recommendations.

• 1 month later...
Any thoughts out there on the Kennedyville Inn? My dad raved about it recently and convinced me it was worth a trip if I'm over the bridge.

Raves? Rants?

I have NEVER been disappointed in a meal there. It's got a small menu, but they change it all the time according to what's in season. Although they do have "regular" items.

Even though it's a nice restaurant, (more than casual, but not "fancy" by any means), they do have some good ribs and shredded/chopped pork. Slowly smoked all day of course. That's pretty much a staple on the menu.

Definitely worth a try.

I brought a cousin who was visiting from Boston there and she was so impressed with how "upscale" (high quality) this "little place in between the cornfields and by the railroad tracks." was.

I find it interesting how they pay their service staff. Basically, there is an automatic 15%(?) percent tip added on to the bill no matter what size party ... (although, I'm sure if you were unhappy, that would be ammended, the owners are very nice and interested in running a GREAT restaurant and depend on return customers since they are so rural)..

Anyway, the service staff get a "salary" so to speak, so they can count on a steady cash flow. The tips are collected and go into paying that regular salary. So, even if business is bad, the help can count on at least X amount of money each week.

They did this because, again, the restaurant is in a rural area, and when they find good help, they want to be able to keep them as long as possible.

We've been going there for years now, and lo and behold, all the wait staff etc are pretty much the same and very attentive.

So the owners are smart cookies, IMO.

Edited by Chanteuse (log)
Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou