• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2001 Produttori del Barbaresco

Jean Brislance

2001 Produttori del Barbaresco Nebbiolo Langhe - Ruby in color with an orange tint, and extremely clear. The nose is attractive, with some fresh turned soil, red berry fruit, some herbs, flowers, and a bit of tar. Flavors tend to mimic the nose; red berry, herbal, floral, and earthy. This wine has a bright and zippy acidity, is lighter-bodied, and the tannins are light and very fine with just a little bit of a dusty grip. Not a blockbuster, but just a nice bargain wine to accompany pizza or pasta. Quite nice with some leftover duck and wild mushroom ragu. I think this was $17.

All the best,

Jean

I bought a good bit of this & really love it. It's fantastic, uncomplicated drinking with zero guilt over price or "needing to let it age." It's so good to have a good quality Piemonte red that I can just open & drink without thinking about it.

I should buy more. :biggrin:

Twice I have ordered this wine in restaurants and both times I was warned "It's not Barbaresco". Certainly it is lighter, and more forward then Barbaresco. I have enjoyed it on about a half dozen occaisions. It sort of gives one a hint of batbaresco though. BTW the Gambero Rosso loved this vintage giving it two glasses.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Produttori del Barbaresco may be the best value producer in the Langhe. Outstanding classic wines at good prices.

And that would be across the board for their portfolio of wines, not just the ones designated Langhe. Their Barbaresco normale wines and the Barbaresco single vineyard wines are great wines and great values comparatively, especially for those who prefer a more traditional approach.

Jean, have your next bottle with some duck and mushroom risotto.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Produttori del Barbaresco may be the best value producer in the Langhe. Outstanding classic wines at good prices.

And that would be across the board for their portfolio of wines, not just the ones designated Langhe. Their Barbaresco normale wines and the Barbaresco single vineyard wines are great wines and great values comparatively, especially for those who prefer a more traditional approach.

Jean, have your next bottle with some duck and mushroom risotto.

This was my first experience with Produttori del Barbaresco, so I appreciate this insight.

A little duck and wild mushroom risotto sounds pretty darned good as we enter the autumn months. :biggrin: Thanks for the tip, Brad!

Jean

Has anybody tried the single vineyard wines from '97? I had the Mocagatta several months ago & it was incredibly evovled and lifeless. If was wondering if it was a bad bottle/cooked/etc., as I have always liked the Produttori & was really disappointed. There's a whole bunch of '97s available in my market & I'm hesitating based on the lone Mocagatta.

I tasted the 2001 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco while at Il Barbaresco a Tavola (I think that's the most times I've ever used the B-word in a sentence :p). I thought it was excellent, and will buy a handful when it gets released here (not likely until next year.

Here were my notes:

Light ruby red with orange flecks to an oranging rim. Fat legs. Aromas of cherries, earth, orange rind, dried roses, licorice, and truffles. Medium-full bodied with red fruits, violets, and indian spice. Firm, but not overwhelming tannins. Moderate-long finish, ~40-45s with spice and cherry notes. A very nice normale from the Produttori. This bodes well for their single-vineyard Riservas when they are released. 89 points (05/21/2004).