• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

Diedre:

Thanks a million for the advance notice. Seems like we'll need it for the more heavily desired "cult" wines.

I'm very interested in trying the Lancaster Proprietary Red. I've met David Ramey several times, had the pleasure of having lunch with him once and got to pick his brain for a couple of hours as there were only two other folks there beside David and myself. I probably learned more about winemaking in that one afternoon that I have over months of reading books, wine press, etc. He's a brilliant fellow, and a fabulous winemaker. He approaches things so meticulously. The Ramey Chardonnays were some of my best sellers at Striped Bass. The wines are of the highest quality and made with dedication, academic knowhow, and a bit of the intangible love that only a truly gifted wine maker can bestow. I can't imagine that this wine will be any less spectacular than any of the others I've tried before. I'd expect nothing less of Mr. Ramey, and I'm certain he'll settle for nothing less from himself. He's just like that.

Give a shout when this hits either of the stores in Center City. I'll be all over a couple of bottles at least.

And that $8 Ribera del Duero sounds like a find too! :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

'99 Hanna Cab is all dark fruit and bing cherry flavors, with a big whiff of licorice in the very beginning, herbal notes, and the tannins are still mouth coating. If you haven't already, pick up a bottle or two befor they are gone. Where else could this be QPR @$20.

Best,

Mike

Just today picked up a bottle of Foley Pinot Noir 2001 and one of Iron Horse Pinot Noir 2001 each for $ 19. I have had the Iron Horse but am looking forward to trying the Foley These were both Chairmans Selections. Not a chairmans selection but back in stock and on sale Duck Pond Pinot Gris that my wife just adores. I got two of those for her. This is the Fruitville pike store in Lancaster They also still have a good supply of the Burgers Syrah, when I asked about any more of the Zin the guy just laughed at me

edited for forgetfulness and spelling

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Just today picked up abottle of Foley Pinot Noir  2001  and one od Iron Horse Pinot Noir 2001 each for $ 19. I have had the Iron Horse but am looking forward to trying the Foley These were both Chairmans Selections.  Not a chairmans selection but back in stock and on sale Duck Pond Pinot Gris that my wife just adores.  I got two of those for her.  This is the Fruitville pike store in Lancaster  They also still have a cood supply of the Burgers Syrah, when I askd about anymore of the Zin the guy just laughed at me

edited for forgetfulness

I predict you'll be enjoying the Foley alot. The Landmark "Grand Detour" Pinot Noir I mentioned upthread is still around and still as tasty as it ever was at the same price as the Foley. They're both pretty big for Pinot Noir so they might be a delicious Thanksgiving wine for those that like red with their turkey.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I thought I would give you an update for the Burgess 1992. We will be getting another 300 cases. The first shipment is pretty much sold out in the Philadelphia area.

Hello Deidre,

When are the 300 additional cases likely to arrive? Or have they already come and gone since Oct 22? Thanks!

Brad

Picked myself up a bottle of the Hanna Cabernet last night. It will probably sit for a short while at least. Friend with me snapped up a six-bottle half-case. He was pretty excited to see it at that price. :biggrin:

Lisa, the Hogue Fume Blanc is delicious and the Murphy-Goode Reserve Fume Blanc is also still on sale for like $13.99, I think.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I thought I would give you an update for the Burgess 1992. We will be getting another 300 cases. The first shipment is pretty much sold out in the Philadelphia area.

Hello Deidre,

When are the 300 additional cases likely to arrive? Or have they already come and gone since Oct 22? Thanks!

Brad

The additional 300 cases are not here yet I don't see' an ETA yet so I'll keep looking but I would think in the next few weeks...I'll keep you posted.

Just today picked up abottle of Foley Pinot Noir  2001  and one od Iron Horse Pinot Noir 2001 each for $ 19. I have had the Iron Horse but am looking forward to trying the Foley These were both Chairmans Selections.  Not a chairmans selection but back in stock and on sale Duck Pond Pinot Gris that my wife just adores.  I got two of those for her.  This is the Fruitville pike store in Lancaster  They also still have a cood supply of the Burgers Syrah, when I askd about anymore of the Zin the guy just laughed at me

edited for forgetfulness

I predict you'll be enjoying the Foley alot. The Landmark "Grand Detour" Pinot Noir I mentioned upthread is still around and still as tasty as it ever was at the same price as the Foley. They're both pretty big for Pinot Noir so they might be a delicious Thanksgiving wine for those that like red with their turkey.

Katie,

I saved the Foley for Thanksgiving at the relatives. It went great with the turkey but I was thrilled how it shined with my oyster and bacon stuffing. I seem to only want Pinot Noir these days. Most of the crowd was drinking white, but I was thrilled with the Foley Pinot Noir.

Katie,

I saved the Foley for Thanksgiving at the relatives.  It went great with the turkey but I was thrilled how it shined with my oyster and bacon stuffing.  I seem to only want Pinot Noir these days.  Most of the crowd was drinking white, but I was thrilled with the Foley Pinot Noir.

Mike:

Sounds delicious! And I'll just bet that the wine was perfect with the oyster and bacon stuffing. YUM! Sounds like a match made in heaven.

I still have one bottle of that Foley left at home. Not sure what I'm saving it for yet, but perhaps it'll be good with turkey leftovers! :smile:

Since you're in such a "Pinot Noir phase", you should definitely go see the film Sideways if you haven't yet. It's a great movie and the plot revolves (at least somewhat) around the quest for the perfect Pinot Noir. Funny stuff and great dialogue about wine.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I just wanted to post a follow-up to some of my previous posts. I said that I would let you know when a few more Chairman’s Selections became available. The Valdubon that I mentioned in an earlier post is now back in along with the Newton Epic Merlot and the Newton Le Puzzle Cabernet. Hanna Bismark Cabernet can still be found. We will be getting about 300 cases of the Cakebread Benchlands Cab for $39.99 I’m sure this one will go really fast so you might want to keep your eye open for this one if you are interested in it.

:rolleyes: I thought that I might mention that our web site www.pawineandspirits.com is doing a free shipping promotion from now until Dec. 31st on all orders. Some pretty interesting things are on there if you want to check it out. –Deidre

Thanks Deidre!

Anything from Cakebread Cellars, (particularly at that price) is worth hunting down. Although they're well known for their lovely Chardonnays, the Cabernet is great too. I'll definitely be looking for that one!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

We tried the Kim Crawford SB friday night and its better than any SB I have had outside of France. We don't drink alot of white wine but this could change our minds. Buy it before its all gone.

Best,

Mike

Mike, my wife liked the Kim Crawford I had bought before Thanksgiving, but I since could not find any more of them so I had to order them online....and pay shipping (wish I knew about the free shipping sooner Diedre :sad: ) :biggrin:

Hello all, sorry about not mentioning the free shipping sooner, because of some technical stuff such as updating servers and software I wasn’t sure if we were going to be able to get the free shipping in place before the holidays. I’m just glad that everything came together for this to happen this year!

A whole bunch of Chairman’s Selections just came in to our fulfillment center where we ship merchandise from for www.pawineandspirits.com. You might want to check out the whole list currently on the site, here are some of the products now available that have been mentioned in earlier posts: Burgess 1992 these are part of the additional 300 cases I said we were getting in earlier, two of the newest selections Geyser Peak 1999 Shiraz and the Vision Cellars Pinot Noir 2000 Since these just came in they should also be in our Premium Collection stores. - Deidre

Edited by Deidre Costello (log)

Thanks, Deidre! You rock!

I just placed an order online for a case (12) of the Burgess 92. The free shipping was icing on the cake. I had one bottle earlier and it was great stuff. Hope it's not reaching it's peak just yet (though I suspect it might be.)

I'm skeptical of any 2000 CA/OR/WA on fire sale. There's currently a glut, and the great variability of that vintage makes me less willing to take a risk on something unless someone I know has tried it and recommends it.

Thanks again for keeping us posted!

A whole bunch of Chairman’s Selections just came in to our fulfillment center where we ship merchandise from for www.pawineandspirits.com.  You might want to check out the whole list currently on the site, here are some of the products now available that have been mentioned in earlier posts:  Burgess 1992 these are part of the additional 300 cases I said we were getting in earlier, two of the newest selections Geyser Peak 1999 Shiraz and the Vision Cellars Pinot Noir 2000  Since these just came in they should also be in our Premium Collection stores. - Deidre

Glad to hear you got some of the 92 Burgess. I agree it is easier to try a wine that someone you trust recommends especially a wine from a sporadic vintage. If you like the Chairman’s selections you and he must have a similar palate. Evidently he personally tastes each wine before the decision to purchase is made.

By the way in an earlier post I said the Cakebread Benchlands will sell for 39.99 I was mistaken it will actually be 34.99 when it comes in later this month. I’m hoping before New Years! I’ll keep you posted. - Deidre

We tasted the '92 Burgess against a '94 Talbott a few weeks ago. The ladies liked the Burgess better and the men liked the Talbott. The Burgess is alittle more fruit forward than the Talbott, but both are good.

Picked up a case of the Vision PN tonight and I'm sipping while I type. Typical pinot funk nose with lots of raspberry, coffee, and smoke. Very nice, especially for $18.

Best,

Mike

Hello all I just wanted to give you a quick heads up that the Cakebread just came in today to our fulfillment center and is now online I would think that it should be in some stores starting today too. It is very limited so I’m sure it will sell out fast. I'm going to order some I'll let you know what I think. Cheers Deidre

Hello all I just wanted to give you a quick heads up that the Cakebread just came in today to our fulfillment center and is now online I would think that it should be in some stores starting today too.  It is very limited so I’m sure it will sell out fast.  I'm going to order some I'll let you know what I think.  Cheers Deidre

Thanks Deidre, just ordered a few bottles....that free shipping is great!!! You should always provide free shipping :biggrin:

Hello all I just wanted to give you a quick heads up that the Cakebread just came in today to our fulfillment center and is now online I would think that it should be in some stores starting today too.  It is very limited so I’m sure it will sell out fast.  I'm going to order some I'll let you know what I think.  Cheers Deidre

I think the Cakebread Cabernet is already sold out, at least from the online store...

If anyone spots a stash somewhere, let us know!

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

at fruitville pike store in Lancaster just an hour ago I got the last bottle of the Cakebread Cab, ....

I checked the West Chester store today, and they said they got 4 bottles, which went in about 20 minutes! Oh well, there were good piles of a couple of other nice Chairman's Selections that were impossible to resist, like the Geyser Peak Shiraz and the Vision Pinot...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com