• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

Thanks for correcting my link from earlier...

Did some snooping earlier the 2000 Trilogy was reordered with another 400 case expected real soon possibly this week!

Hanna 1999 Bismark Cab was reordered with 1200+ cases expected in next couple of weeks.

The St Supery Meritage 1999 like the Trilogy should be in real soon however, grab it when you can only 200 6 pack cases were purchased.

The Fra Guerau that I mentioned earlier also expected in the next week or so.

A couple of interesting wines are slated for the on deck circle:

Newton Epic Merlot 2000 $17.99 - 1000 cases

Newton Le Puzzle Cabernet 2000Spring Mtn. $17.99 - 1000 cases

Yalumba Mourvedre Grenache Shiraz 2003 $21.99 - only 200 6 packs

Yalumba Shiraz Viognier 2002 $21.99 - only 200 6 packs

Thanks for correcting my link from earlier...

Did some snooping earlier the 2000 Trilogy was reordered with another 400 case expected real soon possibly this week!

Hanna 1999 Bismark Cab was reordered with 1200+ cases expected in next couple of weeks.

The St Supery Meritage 1999 like the Trilogy should be in real soon however, grab it when you can only 200 6 pack cases were purchased.

The Fra Guerau that I mentioned earlier also expected in the next week or so.

A couple of interesting wines are slated for the on deck circle:

Newton Epic Merlot 2000 $17.99 - 1000 cases

Newton Le Puzzle Cabernet 2000Spring Mtn. $17.99 - 1000 cases

Yalumba Mourvedre Grenache Shiraz 2003 $21.99 - only 200 6 packs

Yalumba Shiraz Viognier 2002 $21.99 - only 200 6 packs

:rubbing her hands together with glee:

Ehhhxcellent!

Deidre wins most valuable new player award! :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Welcome Diedre!

Great to have somebody on the inside of the PLCB joining the conversation! 

If you're doing the selecting, then you've got the most inside scoop there is.  Keep dishing!

Just want to clarify I select the Products available through the on line store and for our wine of the month club The Wine Connection.

BTW another tip Lucky Country a 'second' label of Two Hands just arrived in our stores The Lucky Country Shirz/Cab just got 90 points in the Wine Advocate and the Lucky Country GSM got 87 points.

I'm very fond of the Lucky Country blend and am considering it for a by-the-glass pour at Rouge in the near future. I've met the winemaker at Two Hands and he's a nice fellow. Does wonderful things with grape juice too! :smile: The Two Hands Angel's Share Shiraz is one of my very favorites. I picked up a bottle of the Lucky GSM (Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre) at my run to the 12th Street store on my way home from work last night. In addition I picked up some of the 2000 vintages of the Burgess wines including the Cabernet ($12.99), Syrah($9.99) and the Zinfandel which is on sale for the truly astonishing price of $7.99. I had the Zin with my steak dinner last night and it was excellent! Possibly the tastiest $8 bottle I've had in some time. I'm going to pick up a whole mess of that as my "house wine" for the foreseeable future. It's a total no brainer. And it's REAL Russian River Zin, even at that price. It's never going to compete with Turley, but for $8 it is varietally true and quite lovely. It smells of all kinds of blue/black fruits like plums and blueberries and blackberries and has a nice level of spiciness and smooth edges from oak aging. Good fruit intensity and full body (14.4% alcohol). These sorts of characteristics are generally completely unavailable at that price point. Good Stuff!!!

Katie,

While wondering around my local store on Saturday I saw the Burgess Zinfandel and I was flumoxed by the price! I took home a couple and opened one Sunday with beef stew I made and this was wonderful. Pennsylvania state store have changed so much for the better. They had a good bit of it and I will be back for more. I will try the Syrah as well. I can still remember when you went to the state store and you had to go up to the counter and tell them what you wanted and they went into the back and brought it out. My store has good selection and people who know from wine. I really never thought I would see it happen in PA.

Katie,

While wondering around my local store on Saturday I saw the Burgess  Zinfandel and I was flumoxed by the price!  I took home a couple and opened one Sunday with beef stew I made and this was wonderful.  Pennsylvania state store have changed so much for the better.  They had a good bit of it and I will be back for more.  I will try the Syrah as well.  I can still remember when you went to the state store and you had to go up to the counter and tell them what you wanted and they went into the back and brought it out.  My store has good selection and people who know from wine.  I really never thought I would see it happen in PA.

Mike:

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm tellin' 'ya - that's gotta be the most luscious zin I've had in awhile at virtually any price. The fact that it's only $8 is a BIG bonus! I tried the Burgess Syrah a few nights ago and it was really good too. More like cocoa dusted bacon on the nose but really high quality as well. Tried the 2000 Cabernet with dinner at Branzino on Monday evening (writeup to follow later this week when I have time!) and again - a winner!!

Go buy the Burgess wines folks!!! They're all good and all have an incredibly high price-value quotient. I love it when I stumble on stuff like this!

Mike - I too, remember the days of "Combat Zone" PLCB stores where you'd walk up to the thick bullet-proof window and ask for what you wanted. It made you feel like you were doing something vaguely unsavory. Bleah! I'm glad that the Chairman is a wine lover - he's definitely improved things to the point where it's almost like free enterprise retail in any other state.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Ehhhxcellent!

Deidre wins most valuable new player award!  :cool:

Katie,

While we are glad to have Deidre amongst us, please don't sell yourself short !! You have been bestowing wonderful advice and tips upon us for quite some time and we hope that it will continue :wink:

Ehhhxcellent!

Deidre wins most valuable new player award!  :cool:

Katie,

While we are glad to have Deidre amongst us, please don't sell yourself short !! You have been bestowing wonderful advice and tips upon us for quite some time and we hope that it will continue :wink:

:blush:

I'm trying my best. I feel responsible as the Mistress of Potables to make sure you're all drinking well, and frugally whenever possible. :smile:

So I guess that makes me a simultaneous bad influence and good influence. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

12th & Chestnut superstore was all sold out of the Burgess Zin yesterday afternoon... problem with great $8 wines in limited quantities is that folks buy them by the case and there's nothing left over for us bottle-at-a-timers! More like this, please, PLCB!

I wound up with an $8 liter jug of surprisingly good California Zinfandel from Three Thieves... love it when whimsy is backed up by tastiness.

12th & Chestnut superstore was all sold out of the Burgess Zin yesterday afternoon... problem with great $8 wines in limited quantities is that folks buy them by the case and there's nothing left over for us bottle-at-a-timers!  More like this, please, PLCB!

I wound up with an $8 liter jug of surprisingly good California Zinfandel from Three Thieves... love it when whimsy is backed up by tastiness.

Gabe:

I think the 5th Street store may have a little of the Zin still in stock. Franklin Mills had lots last Sunday. I'd call first to any of these stores just so not to waste a trip.

I saw the Three Thieves and thought the jug was a marketing gimmick. Clearly it is, but if the wine is good it's worth a try.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Greetings!

Just got around to reading this thread and noted someone mentioned a screw top Sauvignon Blanc. Last night Tom & I really enjoyed the Kim Crawford 2004 Screw Top. I believe it is a Chairman's Selection. I grabbed it whilst perusing the aisles looking for something that wasn't Chardonnay. Very crispy and nice. Would be a good cheese and apple wine IMHO. Thanks to Katie I knew how to open the screw top with aplomb - didn't even notice it was a screw top until I tried to take my foil cutter to it. Really like the screw top on whites because they fit in the refrigerator door nicely!

Cheers!

------------

CASETTA

"selling fame in fifteen second increments for pints of beer "

The St. Supery hit the shelves today so I'll post a TN s soon as I open one. Collegeville didn't get any of the Hanna Cab at all so we'll wait on that one. We still have some of the Burgess Zin left if anyone is interested.

Best,

Mike

Thanks to Katie I knew how to open the screw top with aplomb - didn't even notice it was a screw top until I tried to take my foil cutter to it. Cheers!

Do tell!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Thanks to Katie I knew how to open the screw top with aplomb - didn't even notice it was a screw top until I tried to take my foil cutter to it.

Cheers!

Do tell!

The gentleman that taught me this neat trick, Stuart Devine of Villa Maria Wines New Zealand, will begin participating in a "Chat with Stuart Devine" thread in the wine forum starting this week. All of Villa Maria's wines are Stelvin capped (screw top) so asking him about proper tableside opening procedures would be a great question. The thread should be started by this evening at the latest. Any other questions you have about the NZ wine industry or winemaking practices would also be welcome. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Gabe I see that the Burgess Zin is back in at both 19th and Chestnut and 1218 Chestnut. 

It also looks like the Trilogy has hit the Phila area stores again...

BTW Katie thanks for hosting Stuart Devine!

D:

Thanks for the heads up! I just snagged a case of the Burgess Zin for myself. It's going to be my "house wine" for the foreseeable future.

Please go ask Stuart some questions in the Wine Forum! He's a super interesting guy, has a wide background and he'll be with us through the week. Should be interesting for everyone, I hope!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Tried the Vinas del Monsant Fra Guerau 2001 tonight and at first I thought it was unbelievable for $7.99 but it has a sour aftertaste that is rather offputting, at least to me. Your mileage may vary.

We also tried the St. Supery and its worth every bit of the $23 they're asking for it. If you can find it, buy a few bottles.

The Hanna cab still isn't in at the Collegeville Store.

Wednesday night we tried the 2001 Sette Ponte Oreno (in the state stores for six hours in August). I lucked out and got 5 bottles while somebody was buying out the state in Philly. Even at $43 this was :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: .

Best,

Mike

Tried the Vinas del Monsant Fra Guerau 2001 tonight and at first I thought it was unbelievable for $7.99 but it has a sour aftertaste that is rather offputting, at least to me. Your mileage may vary.

We also tried the St. Supery and its worth every bit of the $23 they're asking for it. If you can find it, buy a few bottles.

The Hanna cab still isn't in at the Collegeville Store.

Wednesday night we tried the 2001 Sette Ponte Oreno (in the state stores for six hours in August). I lucked out and got 5 bottles while somebody was buying out the state in Philly. Even at $43 this was  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin: .

Best,

Mike

Mike:

I tried a bottle of the Vinas del Monsant Fra Guerau 2001 earlier this week. I thought the first sip was really tightly wound and unpleasant, but after it sat in the glass for a short while and I swirled it around a bit, it opened up and became quite pleasant and fruity. Not unlike an inexpensive Rhone blend - perfectly pleasant for an easy quaff at $7.99.

Im looking for the St. Supery too. Looking forward to trying that when I get a bottle.

The Sette Ponte Oreno sounds really yummy! :wub: You were lucky to snag a little bit of that while you could. You need to find out who the guy is that bought it all up, if they're a private collector. Or maybe it was a restaurant?? :hmmm: If we can convince Diedre to cyber-stalk the collectors we'll be able to consistently beat them to the hard to find and heavily allocated wines. {just kidding about the stalking, of course :biggrin: }

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie,

The Collegeville store has the 2000 Sette Ponte for $39, but it wasn't rated nearly as well as the 2001 so I didn't buy any.

I'm guessing that if you didn't find any of the St. Supery its gone. The state only got 200 six bottle cases. What do you think is the deal with all these six bottle cases all of a sudden? Changing a standard?

Glad you liked the Fra G more than I did.

Best,

Mike

I spotted some 2000 Flora Springs Trilogy in the stores again... get them while they last (I have a case already) :biggrin:

Wanted to try some wines from Villa Maria (since Katie is hosting a discussion with Stuart), but I would not find these at my local premium store  :sad:

percyn:

The Villa Maria is definitely SLO in PA. I'm sorry - I absolutely should have mentioned that. I figured Stuart would be a great guest (and he has been) because Villa Maria has enough production to be nationally available, and right off the shelf in most non-monopoly states. I've definitely bought Villa Maria wines at a great price at Canal's Bottlestop just past the Marlton Circle in Marlton. I'm certain they're readily available in DE as well, and they're tax free there! :cool:

The whole line of Villa Maria wines are of excellent quality and value. I was particularly fond of the Riesling myself, and the Sauvignon Blanc was textbook New Zealand flavor profile - all gooseberry and grapefruit and since it's all vinified in stainless steel, very quenching and fresh. The whole line of wines was quite impressive from the quality standpoint, and there are several lines of wines (Private Bin, Cellar Selection, Reserve and Single Vineyard) at various price points to satisfy anyone's wallet or particular circumstance. Worth seeking out to see which ones are your favorite.

edited to add:

Upon further searching, the PLCB Premium Collection section of the website has several of the Villa Maria white wines listed as available in the "Specialty" stores, ranging in price from $13.99 to about $18.49. Perhaps Diedre could provide a bit more insight on which stores might have which wines available.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Hello a few scoops: First Villa Maria wines it looks like we are waiting on the 2004 release. I still show the 2001 VM Private Bin Chard $13.99, 2002 VM Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc $13.99 and the 2003 VM Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc $13.99 on line at www.pawineandspirits.com The Villa Maria Riesling Private Bin 2002 $13.99 is showing a case available in the following stores Chestnut Hill, Bala Cynwyd and Collegeville. The Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc Cellar Selection $18.49 is showing a case in Ardmore. As I said earlier looks like slim pickings until the 2004 is released probably pretty soon.

Here is some quick snooping on a few of the Chairman’s selections

Hanna is due in again this week or next and is going to be well represented in the Phila and surrounding areas (Collegeville too).

St Supery very limited amounts remain at Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Jenkintown and Swede Square (as of Sunday Nov. 7th)

Oreno is still available at 1218 Chestnut, 326 S. 5th, Chestnut Hill, Swede Square, Jenkintown, Bryn Mawr, and West Chester.

The Flora Springs has a pretty good representation in all the Premium Collection stores.

I’m going to buy another few bottles of the Fra Guerau to try again (I did not experience a sour aftertaste that Mike described) I want to see if I get the same reaction as I got when I first posted this note: ‘Red fruits on the nose of cherry and raspberry that are carried out on the palate with good intensity with balanced acidity’ I’ll post again on it after I try it again I do know that the first time I tried it the bottle was opened for about an hour before the tasting.

Mike I also have noticed more and more 750mls being shipped in 6 bottle cases. I’m going to ask some suppliers what the reasoning for that is…I’ll report back on what they are saying when I get more info.

Hopefully I didn’t miss anything that was mentioned. Let me know. -

Deidre,

I understand that it has been a year since the PA Wine Club of the Month was started...Congratulations !! As a patron since day 1, I think it has been a great value and introduced me to wines I would not otherwise have tried.

The cookbook in this month's shipment was an added bonus too...thanks :biggrin:

Thanks Percyn in regards to the wine club I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying it so far!

Just wanted to post that these Chairman Selections are going to be arriving in the near future you may want to keep your eyes open for these:

Cakebread Benchlands 2000 suggested price $90 will be $40

Luce Della Vita Magnum suggested price $150 will be $50

Vision Cellars Pinot Noir 2000 suggested $50 will be $18

Lancaster Proprietary Red (from David Ramey vineyard mgr of Screaming Eagle) 2000 $65 will be $20

The Valdubon Cosecha Ribera Del Duero 2002 is coming back in. This was a big seller especially with the restaurant trade when it first came in earlier this year. The suggested price $17.50 will be $8

I’ll continue to snoop :unsure: around and see what else is on tap. Take Care