• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

Alas - the multiple cases of Burgess Cab are the $12.99 2000 vintage. Oh well.

At least there's plenty of that to go around. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The Bad News:

The first round of the 1992 Burgess Library Selection Cabernet at 12th & Chestnut Specialty store was pre-sold, apparently they got 3 cases and ONE person bought all 36 bottles  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: .  I'm told they might be getting more.  Jenkintown and Germantown stores are also already sold out but supposedly getting more next week.

I looked up this wine on the Burgess website.  It's $48 AT THE WINERY!  It's less than half price here in PA.  :wacko:

Befriend ye your local PLCB Wine Manager.  This stuff is FLYING out of the stores, aided no doubt, by the mention in Philadelphia Magazine.

The Good News:

A whole line of the Burgess wines are part of the upcoming Chairman's selections for this month.  I have the list of what's on deck at home.  Will post later.

sorry.in the last post i meant to ask if those burgess '92 cab's were recently released by the winery?

Yes - Burgess tends to hang onto their stuff until they deem it's "ready".

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I wish more winery's did that.I can think of more in Europe that do that than here.

I'm from Wilmington but will be in philly Sunday.Are any of the state stores open on Sunday?

Don't mean to change subjects but I recently had the Terrale Primitivo at a whopping $6.99 a bottle and was pleasantly surprised. Now I know it's not in the same league as the stuff you've all been talking about but what a great bargain for a good everyday drinking kinda wine. I rarely find a wine that good for that cheap. :biggrin:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Let's compare notes on any of these that we are able to locate, OK??

Had the Burgess Zin last night. Very round for a Zin, some of the usual Zin flavors, but not in, say, the Ridge style. Struck me that it would be a very flexible wine. Lots of color and body and fruit,just tannic enough to balance it out for current drinking.At the price, I'm going back for a case.

As much as I love what Newman is doing, he's hell on my bank account.

I wish more winery's did that.I can think of more in Europe that do that than here.

I'm from Wilmington but will be in philly Sunday.Are any of the state stores open on Sunday?

Both the 19th & Chestnut and 12th & Chestnut Center City Specialty shops are open 12PM-5PM Sundays, as is the Franklin Mills store and the Germantown store.

As much as I love what Newman is doing, he's hell on my bank account.

Amen! But it's so much better than the past alternative. I'll probably stop down at the 12th Street store on my way home either tonight or tomorrow night to pick up a few of these gems and start checking them out. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

sorry.in the last post i meant to ask if those burgess '92 cab's were recently released by the winery?

ha, what does that say about the 2000 that's all over? drink now, it says to me.

i picked up three bottles of it tonight, and will report back later. tonight i also picked up my first bottle of decent wine with a screw top, a new zealand sauv blanc which is mighty nice.

ha, what does that say about the 2000 that's all over? drink now, it says to me.

i picked up three bottles of it tonight, and will report back later. tonight i also picked up my first bottle of decent wine with a screw top, a new zealand sauv blanc which is mighty nice.

James:

The aging of the wines at Burgess is more about the "Reserve" level selections like the '92 "Library Selection" than it is about the "Drink Me Now" Napa Valley 2000. I suspect the 1992 has more site specific grape juice in it.

So whose wine is the screw cap Sauv Blanc?? Just curious since I have some limited experience with NZ screw cap wines, but am always curious as to which wineries are going "cork free", as it were.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

So whose wine is the screw cap Sauv Blanc??  Just curious since I have some limited experience with NZ screw cap wines, but am always curious as to which wineries are going "cork free", as it were.

caroline bay. it tastes... like a nz sauv blanc. it was about $12 or 13 if i remember right. truth be told i didn't notice the screw cap until the cashier was putting it in the bag. see, i'm observant like that.

Sorry if this seems a bit off-topic, but when I opend the 1992 Burgees (Library Selection), the cork seemed to have some (shiny crystal-like) mineral sediments on the cork. I have seen this a few times before on some bottles of wine. Can somone please educate me (us) on what these might be?

gallery_21049_162_1098462211.jpg

The picture does not depict this perfectly, but you can somewhat see what I was referring to.

Thanks

Percy

Percy:

Those would be tartaric acid crystals which sometimes will separate out of the wine. Other "sediments" that will separate out and either stick to the cork or fall to the bottom of the last glass you pour can be bits of particulate grape skin, dead yeast cells, etc. This happens over time so this is why older vintage wines are often decanted - both for the aeration and to get the nasty sediments out.

This stuff is nothing harmful, just unpleasant - kinda like waking up face down at the beach! :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Wow -- its so refreshing to read all of these positive comments concerning the PLCB, especially the comments on the Chairman’s Selections! I’m sure I can say that Jonathan Newman is grateful for the overwhelming reception these products have gotten. I had the opportunity to sit in on a tasting of newest round of selections that are starting to come in and heard him speak about the ‘Buzz’ created not only here in PA but in surrounding states as well as in CA.

I hope you don’t mind that I am posting here since I do work for the PLCB (I handle the selection of products for our e-commerce web site Http://www.pawineandspirits.com ) BTW most Chairman’s Selection are still available online.

I thought I would give you an update for the Burgess 1992. We will be getting another 300 cases. The first shipment is pretty much sold out in the Philadelphia area. Burgess holds onto about 2000 cases to be released 10 years later. So each year they have two vintages in the market.

I will say that having tried the newest round of Chairman’s Selections you won’t be disappointed in any of the selections I picked three of my favorites that I personally liked and I am listing below with my notes. These wines are coming soon:

Domaine Carneros Le Reve Brut 1997: Estate produced Blanc de Blanc, Excellent selection especially for the holidays, yeast and tropical fruit on the nose in the mouth a rich creaminess with honey citrus and toast. Long finish. Regular price $55 Now $27.99

Gainey Sauvignon Blanc Limited Selection 2002: The Gainey can be described as a traditional California Sauvignon Blanc with tropical fruit, lemon and orange-cream on the nose, while in the mouth the roundness adds a softness to the white peach, pear, grapefruit and butter flavors that are rich with a long lingering finish. Regular price $21.49 Now $11.99

Vinas del Monsant Fra Guerau 2001: (Spain) Blend of Syrah, Garnacha, Merlot, Carinena, Cabernet Sauvignon, Tempranillo and Mourvedre. Red fruits on the nose of cherry and raspberry that are carried out on the palate with good intensity with balanced acidity that will work well with grilled chicken or rich seafood stew. My best buy of the tasting at $7.99 this would make for a good house wine. Regular price $18.99

Sincerely, Deidre Costello

P.S. The crystals referred to earlier are also called ‘wine diamonds’ and are considered a sign of a good wine.

WELCOME DEIDRE!!!

Outstanding! Glad you could join us! And thanks for the update on the '92 Burgess. Wow - you might be an even better spy than the folks I've already enlisted! :biggrin:

Where do you live? Are you in Harrisburg? Just curious...

Thanks again for joining us and we look forward to your perspective on things. Your tasting notes are most welcome since I can't taste everything - as valiantly as I might try :wink: , and you're probably tasting it far in advance of it's availability to me. Rock on sister! Help me out here... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

No I'm a local girl...Delaware County to be exact. I just found this web site and I love all the information I've been seeing very cool!! Like I said earlier its so nice to read boards that are so positive and helpful! I'll be checking in often and let you know some insider information when I can.

Welcome Diedre!

Great to have somebody on the inside of the PLCB joining the conversation!

If you're doing the selecting, then you've got the most inside scoop there is. Keep dishing!

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Welcome Diedre!

If you're doing the selecting, then you've got the most inside scoop there is.  Keep dishing!

Just want to clarify I select the Products available through the on line store and for our wine of the month club The Wine Connection.

BTW another tip Lucky Country a 'second' label of Two Hands just arrived in our stores The Lucky Country Shirz/Cab just got 90 points in the Wine Advocate and the Lucky Country GSM got 87 points.

Just want to clarify I select the Products available through the on line store and for our wine of the month club The Wine Connection.

Deidre,

Welcome to the forum and as a member of the wine of the month club, I look forward to your insight :cool:. For what it is worth, I moved to PA about 3 years ago (to the week) after having lived in many "wine friendly" states (and countries) and have seen the PLCB evolve (for the better), keep up the good work !!

Katie and Deidre, thanks for the info on the "wine diamonds". I did not decant the '92 Burgees as there was no visible sediment. Aeration took place in an oversized Cab/Bordeaux wine glass :raz:

Welcome Diedre!

If you're doing the selecting, then you've got the most inside scoop there is.  Keep dishing!

BTW another tip Lucky Country a 'second' label of Two Hands just arrived in our stores The Lucky Country Shirz/Cab just got 90 points in the Wine Advocate and the Lucky Country GSM got 87 points.

I'm very fond of the Lucky Country blend and am considering it for a by-the-glass pour at Rouge in the near future. I've met the winemaker at Two Hands and he's a nice fellow. Does wonderful things with grape juice too! :smile: The Two Hands Angel's Share Shiraz is one of my very favorites. I picked up a bottle of the Lucky GSM (Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre) at my run to the 12th Street store on my way home from work last night. In addition I picked up some of the 2000 vintages of the Burgess wines including the Cabernet ($12.99), Syrah($9.99) and the Zinfandel which is on sale for the truly astonishing price of $7.99. I had the Zin with my steak dinner last night and it was excellent! Possibly the tastiest $8 bottle I've had in some time. I'm going to pick up a whole mess of that as my "house wine" for the foreseeable future. It's a total no brainer. And it's REAL Russian River Zin, even at that price. It's never going to compete with Turley, but for $8 it is varietally true and quite lovely. It smells of all kinds of blue/black fruits like plums and blueberries and blackberries and has a nice level of spiciness and smooth edges from oak aging. Good fruit intensity and full body (14.4% alcohol). These sorts of characteristics are generally completely unavailable at that price point. Good Stuff!!!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

No I'm a local girl...Delaware County to be exact.  I just found this web site and I love all the information I've been seeing very cool!!  Like I said earlier its so nice to read boards that are so positive and helpful!  I'll be checking in often and let you know some insider information when I can.

Welcome Deidre-where at in Delco?moved to Delaware originally from Ridley

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

Percyn: Glad to hear from a member of the wine club! Hope you enjoy the selections so far. I said earlier that when I found this site I thought it was cool, got to ditto that again! :smile:

Dave S.: I'm in Aston.

Katie: I left my tasting notes at the office, but if I recall correctly the Burgess Syrah was another winner I just got some more of this one. This is what I recall concerning this wine. Nose of Bacon on the palate smoked fruit flavors I want to try this one again with sausage. At Thanksgiving I make a Sausage and Sage stuffing that I think will work well with the Burgess Syrah I want to play around a bit I like offering different Reds and Whites so that there is a nice match up for everyone. Anyway I will check my notes tomorrow and if I see anything different than what I recall I'll post again.

Percyn: Glad to hear from a member of the wine club!  Hope you enjoy the selections so far.  I said earlier that when I found this site I thought it was cool, got to ditto that again! :smile:

Dave S.: I'm in Aston.

Katie:  I left my tasting notes at the office, but if I recall correctly the Burgess Syrah was another winner I just got some more of this one.  This is what I recall concerning this wine.  Nose of Bacon on the palate smoked fruit flavors I want to try this one again with sausage.  At Thanksgiving I make a Sausage and Sage stuffing that I think will work well with the Burgess Syrah I want to play around a bit I like offering different Reds and Whites so that there is a nice match up for everyone.  Anyway I will check my notes tomorrow and if I see anything different than what I recall I'll post again.

The Syrah is probably the next bottle I'll open. Maybe even tonight. I'll post notes too if that's the case.

That Sausage and Sage stuffing sounds divine! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Welcome Diedre,

We will be happy to take all the inside information we can get. BTW, maybe its just my browser, but your link to pa wine and spirits didn't work.

Best,

Mike

Mike,

Try http://www.pawineandspirits.com/ (Diedre's link seems to have an extra "http://" by accident).