• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

If you keep up this Moore Bros. business on this thread, Deirdre and her colleagues at the LCB might start stationing some of their undercover agents in the parking lot to watch for PA license plates.

Many of the wines mentioned at Moore Brothers are available in PA via the SLO system. This sounded like more of an immediate purchase emergency for this weekend so sometimes you have to bend the rules a bit. I think the numbers of folks now coming *in* to PA to avail themselves of the wonderful Chairman's Selections program has reversed the tide of "border bleed" that used to be so prevalent.

And finding PA license plates in NJ wine shop parking lots is hardly a news flash. Really no telling where and when you're planning to drink the wine so I think the days of "Big Brother" are over. PLCB "undercover" agents are more about looking for bars that are sserving to minors, etc. Local law enforcement (used to) handle what you're talking about. They'd have to follow you over the bridge to arrest you, and that might bring up issues of being out of their jurisdiction. I sincerely beleive that the PLCB's time is more valuable than that and that from the sounds of it, there might be some Customer Service issues that deserve more immediate attention.

Edited to remove vague movie reference.........

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

If you keep up this Moore Bros. business on this thread, Deirdre and her colleagues at the LCB might start stationing some of their undercover agents in the parking lot to watch for PA license plates.

Many of the wines mentioned at Moore Brothers are available in PA via the SLO system. This sounded like more of an immediate purchase emergency for this weekend so sometimes you have to bend the rules a bit. I think the numbers of folks now coming *in* to PA to avail themselves of the wonderful Chairman's Selections program has reversed the tide of "border bleed" that used to be so prevalent.

And finding PA license plates in NJ wine shop parking lots is hardly a news flash. Really no telling where and when you're planning to drink the wine so I think the days of "Big Brother" are over. PLCB "undercover" agents are more about looking for bars that are sserving to minors, etc. Local law enforcement (used to) handle what you're talking about. They'd have to follow you over the bridge to arrest you, and that might bring up issues of being out of their jurisdiction. I sincerely beleive that the PLCB's time is more valuable than that and that from the sounds of it, there might be some Customer Service issues that deserve more immediate attention.

My prior post was not intended to be taken literally. Rather it was intended to suggest that the thread was on a bit of a detour. Actually, several years ago, liquor stores just across the state line in Maryland were occasionally under surveillance by the authorities and people who had tried to save a few cents by giving those establishments their custom found themselved facing the strict letter of the law when they returned home. I don't know if that form of law enforcement continues.

And to get back on topic...

Here's a PLCB bargain. FREE SHIPPING! Ends on October 9, 2005.

Clickety

I just put a sizeable dent in my wallet for a mixed case of goodies. Turns out that through the website, there's still some of that yummy 1996 Campillo Reserva left at the ridiculous price of $14.99. Now that I've paid for my half case I can spread the joy. :biggrin: Also picked up a couple of bottles of 2000 Geyser Peak Reserve Shiraz also at $14.99, an absurd savings of $31 per bottle! 4_6_4.gif

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i opened a bottle of 1995 campillo reserva that i'd bought at the state had sitting around for a few years just a couple of weeks ago. with all the big 'international style' wines i've been having recently, i'd forgotten how totally pleasant an old rioja is. i'ma have to jump on that and pick up a few.

Just picked myself up a bottle of 2005 Two Hands Brilliant Disguise Barossa Valley Moscato. I've had this wine once before and it's really lovely. Cost is $11.99 for a 500 ml bottle. Very light (low alcohol of like 6.5%) and refreshing with a pretty floral character and a light fizz. Great aperitif or a nice dessert wine that's less heavy than port or the usual sticky suspects.

I might have to try make a moscato float!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this email from the PLCB. I am so glad this is happening! Who'd of thunk it would actually come together? Cool! :biggrin:

Evan

Please join Greg Salisbury and Ross Essner of Rx Restaurant,

Along With

Jonathan Newman, Chairman of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board,

for an evening of discovery at the first ever Bring Your Own Chairman's Tasting

event November 1, 2005, 6:30 pm at Rx Restaurant.

Discover the American style cuisine of Rx, the restaurant that features fresh, organic, seasonal foods from the local area, at this special event.

Discover how Jonathan Newman, creator of the Chairman¹s Selection program, is able to accomplish bringing some of the top wines in the world to Pennsylvania at exceptionally low prices.

To fully enjoy this culinary experience the following wines should be purchased at a local Premium Collection Wine and Spirits Store to bring to this unique event!

St. Francis Chardonnay Behler Vineyard 2003

Montes Alpha Syrah 2003

Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon Bosche Vineyard 2000

To find stores in your area with the selection of these wines click here

This Specially Priced Four Course Dinner Menu $40.00

(excluding tax, gratuity, and wine)

Rx Restaurant

4443 Spruce St.! ,

&nb sp;Philadelphia

215-222-9590

Reservations Required

(seating is limited)

Dough can sense fear.

I'm sipping a glass of 2001 Gloria Ferrer Carneros Merlot. I bought it online, but the Product Search shows about 5 cases available at 12th & Chestnut. I don't think I've ever tasted a wine that tastes more like blueberries! It's delicious. A bit of leather and spice as well. Very much in the mold of California Jolly Rancher Merlot flavor, but nonetheless a very pleasant quaff. Even more so at $12.99. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

not even that blueberry wine we had at the tomater festival?

Oh Criminy! I'd completely forgotten about that.

Let's just say this was good blueberry flavors and smells in "real" wine vs. "blueberry wine" which is a totally different thing. Tasty, but different.

Lest we not forget they also had tomato wine. 23_3_64.gif

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been so busy lately that I feel like I've neglected you. Thought I would let you know about this wine alert!! I happened to notice that an incredible Chairman's Selection appeared on pawineandspirits.com on Friday, so if it is not in your stores this week it should be there next week for sure. The IL Colombaio di Cencio Il Futuro is an unbelievable deal for $18 I used this in our wine club a few month's back and thought I negotiated great deal to get this wine at $50. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that the Chairman's Price...believe me when I say that it takes a lot to floor me. This price floored me! Quoted at $85 Selling for $18... Let me know what you think on this deal. I pulled my wine club notes to tell you a little about this baby: "Because of this wine youth we decanted this wine about two hours before tasting, even then the wine seemed a little tight but opened up nicely as the tasting went on. Made with Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot. The wine has a deep purple color, big tannins, good dark fruits with spice and licorice beautiful finish and a delightful wine."

I wanted to mention that the Rx dinner for Tuesday night is almost sold out! Don't wait if you are interested in joining in on the fun. Evan posted the information earlier (by the way Evan you set a record posting the e-mail you received I think you posted the information within minutes :biggrin: ) I'll just repeat the phone number to call: 215-222-9590

Deidre

Hello all, 

I've been so busy lately that I feel like I've neglected you.  Thought I would let you know about this wine alert!!  I happened to notice that an incredible Chairman's Selection appeared on pawineandspirits.com on Friday, so if it is not in your stores this week it should be there next week for sure.  The IL Colombaio di Cencio Il Futuro is an unbelievable deal for $18 I used this in our wine club a few month's back and thought I negotiated great deal to get this wine at $50.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that the Chairman's Price...believe me when I say that it takes a lot to floor me.  This price floored me!  Quoted at $85 Selling for $18... Let me know what you think on this deal.  I pulled my wine club notes to tell you a little about this baby:  "Because of this wine youth we decanted this wine about two hours before tasting, even then the wine seemed a little tight but opened up nicely as the tasting went on.  Made with Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot.  The wine has a deep purple color, big tannins, good dark fruits with spice and licorice beautiful finish and a delightful wine."

I wanted to mention that the Rx dinner for Tuesday night is almost sold out!  Don't wait if you are interested in joining in on the fun.  Evan posted the information earlier (by the way Evan you set a record posting the e-mail you received I think you posted the information within minutes  :biggrin: )  I'll just repeat the phone number to call:  215-222-9590

Deidre

Hello Deidre, I was thinking about you, wondering where you've been. So I've been waiting since I first saw the upcoming Chairmans selections for this Super Tuscan. What an unbeleivable price point for this wine. If you can believe, I was in France for almost 2 weeks drinking great Cote du Rhones amoung other wines and I was wondering when my Newtown store was getting this in. I was told just now they don't know but I'll be there tomorrow at 9:00 sharp and back on Thursday and if need be Friday to score some of this stuff.

I look forward to seeing you at RX Tuesday night!

Jeff

Shared a bottle this evening of the Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc 2003 with a friend. I'd bought it online, but a quick search reveals about a case or so each available at Ardmore, Jenkintown, Frankin Mills, 12th & Chestnut and 19th & Chestnut stores. A very nice white Rhone blend. Predominantly Rousanne with a bit of Grenache Blanc and Viognier in the mix. Earthy, yet retaining its fruity character and the lovely floral qualities of the Viognier. Medium to big bodied. A bit of mineral in the background and a long luscious finish. This would be a delicious accompaniment to fish and seafood dishes with an earthy component like a miso glaze, or nuts or lentils in the preparation. It comes in at $28.99 but is very much worth it.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks to Katie and Dee for a great evening at RX. The food was great, the wines were good, and who'd a thunk the Aussies could make a moscato that nice. But the best part was all the great people who participated--thanks to all.

Best,

Mike

Thanks to Katie and Dee for a great evening at RX. The food was great, the wines were good, and who'd a thunk the Aussies could make a moscato that nice. But the best part was all the great people who participated--thanks to all.

Best,

Mike

I must second Mike's comments and add that I was fortunate enough to position myself next to Jonathan and found the evening most informative. I was particularly interested in how Jonathan negotiates the various Chairmans Selection wines. He explained that he goes to California 4 times a year to buy wine. I was most impressed with his cleverness in making one of those trips coincide with end of fiscal year time when everyone is looking to pump up their numbers. Kudos Jonathan, that is brilliant!

Thanks for hosting such a great event and thanks to Greg and staff for the wonderful food and finally thanks to Katie and Deidre for their expert planning.

I hope we will be able to do these more often.

I’ll echo the thanks for a truly enjoyable night at Rx. Of course, our gratitude to Chairman Newman for giving up his evening to eat and drink with us, and share some amusing and informative stories. At the end of the evening I was even more convinced of his passion for improving the wine experience here in PA, and of his devotion to giving people opportunities to try new and better wines than they might have. It was obvious that he takes a special glee in being able to wangle an excellent bargain, and it is a credit to him and the system in general that those savings are passed on to the consumers. The very fact that he’s willing to come out to these public events, give a talk, and take questions, bodes well for the future of the wine scene here in PA.

Thanks are due also to Deirdre Costello for getting this organized, under constantly changing conditions. Tracking the availability of wines, and Chairman Newman himself, was a challenge, and we appreciate the work she put into it.

…and to Katie for her part in getting all the parties coordinated, and to Evan for getting this whole concept going to start with!

And of course, huge thanks to Greg Salisbury and Russ Essner of Rx for a wonderful meal and the perfect setting for this event.

So, enough of the love fest, what did we think of the food and wine? My (usually) trusty Pentax is in the shop, so I’ll leave it to Evan to post some pics the two of us took with his camera.

Dijon/Lemon marinated Spanish Mackerel, Potato-garlic Skordalia, crispy capers.

This was a very assertive first course: the fish had a strong flavor and the skordalia packed a punch, the smooth potatoes heavy with raw garlic and salty with capers. The first bite of each of these items felt a little over-the-top, but once that introduction was made, I found I liked both the fish and the potatoes, and the two together even more. I ultimately really enjoyed the crisp crunch of the fried fish and the skordalia was a worthy match, although the garlic was hanging on my palate a bit as I was trying to transition into the next flavors.

The St Francis Chardonnay was a good solid partner for this course, a bit of oak and smoke to stand up to the bold food, but overall clean and refreshing.

Handmade Fiorentine pasta, oxtail shortrib ragout, wilted chard, roasted tomatoes, Reggiano

Montes Alpha Syrah 2003

I loved the falling-apart tenderness of both the oxtail and shortribs, the extremely flavorful stewed meats creating a lovely sauce for the tender pasta.

The Syrah was good, but not knocking our socks off at our end of the table, so we jumped ahead and popped the Freemark Cab/Merlot, which we liked a bit more with this course.

Grilled Lamb Loin, Caramelized Brussels Sprouts, Bosc Pear-Parsnip Gratin, reduction of tonight’s wine

Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon Bosché Vineyard 2000

The lamb was very nicely cooked, tender, juicy, and drizzled with an intense reduction of one of these wines… But in the end it’s a loin cut: tender, luxurious, but a little safe. Raves all around for the Brussels Sprouts, sweet and creamy from their internal sugars caramelizing over high heat, nudged along by a quick hit of maple syrup. Even lifelong sprout-haters were converted by these! And the gratin was a stealthy little side, looking for all the world like another boring potato dish, but instead it showed a lovely mellow sweetness from both the fruit and the root. It played a perfect supporting role to the lamb, and was pretty darn tasty on its own.

The Freemark Bosché went pretty well with this dish, until some troublemaker opened a bottle of the Freemark Sycamore, which quietly blew the doors of the Bosché. And I actually ended up backtracking to the Syrah, often enjoying that grape with Lamb, and indeed that was a good partnership as well. I think the Sycamore was the winner here.

Although, there was a back-door challenge being mounted from another direction altogether: a bottle of Latour Beaune had made its way around the table as well, almost causing a fistfight mid-table. Peacekeepers were called in, parachuting-in some extra glassware, and nobody was hurt. After the dust settled, that fruity red Burgundy was quite a hit, going nicely with almost anything. Be warned, Capaneus is making a concerted attempt to buy ALL of it, so you’d better get to the state store, like, now…

Lancaster County Five Apple Cobbler, Cider Syrup, Vanilla Ice Cream.

This was a very nice fall dessert, with thinly-sliced apples, crunchy crumbles and a very rich vanilla ice cream. It was quite delicious as served, but Katie was passing around a bottle of Two-Hands Moscato, daring us to disassemble our desserts and make moscato floats with the ice cream. And it was freaking awesome! That moscato was light and fizzy and flowery, with a big fruity nose that, after a few coin-flips, we decided was white peachy. That bottle is a STEAL at $15 for a 500ml. Go get some. Now. Trust us.

We were also generously provisioned with another dessert wine, and I’m ashamed to say I’m not even sure whose largess to credit. I was thinking it was the folks at the PLCB, but it could have been Greg… In any case, thanks! I kept missing the bottle, so I never saw exactly what it was. It was a much bigger, thicker, stickier drink, that picked-up on the apple in the dessert very nicely. It was a good match, and I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn’t fallen helplessly in love with the Two-Hands.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable meal, good wines, and great company. It was really cool to meet some more eGulleteers, and share a few glasses with some of the regular posse as well. Thanks again to everyone who got it together, I thought it was a great success.

(And just to head off any nasty rumors, NONE of us went to Capogiro afterward. That would have been sheer gluttony. )

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I’ll echo the thanks for a truly enjoyable night at Rx. Of course, our gratitude to Chairman Newman for giving up his evening to eat and drink with us, and share some amusing and informative stories.  At the end of the evening I was even more convinced of his passion for improving the wine experience here in PA, and of his devotion to giving people opportunities to try new and better wines than they might have.  It was obvious that he takes a special glee in being able to wangle an excellent bargain, and it is a credit to him and the system in general that those savings are passed on to the consumers.  The very fact that he’s willing to come out to these public events, give a talk, and take questions, bodes well for the future of the wine scene here in PA. 

Thanks are due also to Deirdre Costello for getting this organized, under constantly changing conditions. Tracking the availability of wines, and Chairman Newman himself, was a challenge, and we appreciate the work she put into it.

…and to Katie for her part in getting all the parties coordinated, and to Evan for getting this whole concept going to start with!

And of course, huge thanks to Greg Salisbury and Russ Essner of Rx for a wonderful meal and the perfect setting for this event.

So, enough of the love fest, what did we think of the food and wine?  My (usually) trusty Pentax is in the shop, so I’ll leave it to Evan to post some pics the two of us took with his camera.

This was a very assertive first course: the fish had a strong flavor and the skordalia packed a punch, the smooth potatoes heavy with raw garlic and salty with capers. The first bite of each of these items felt a little over-the-top, but once that introduction was made, I found I liked both the fish and the potatoes, and the two together even more. I ultimately really enjoyed the crisp crunch of the fried fish and the skordalia was a worthy match, although the garlic was hanging on my palate a bit as I was trying to transition into the next flavors.

The St Francis Chardonnay was a good solid partner for this course, a bit of oak and smoke to stand up to the bold food, but overall clean and refreshing.

Handmade  Fiorentine pasta, oxtail shortrib ragout, wilted chard, roasted tomatoes, Reggiano

Montes Alpha Syrah 2003

I loved the falling-apart tenderness of both the oxtail and shortribs, the extremely flavorful stewed meats creating a lovely sauce for the tender pasta.

The Syrah was good, but not knocking our socks off at our end of the table, so we jumped ahead and popped the Freemark Cab/Merlot, which we liked a bit more with this course.

Grilled Lamb Loin, Caramelized Brussels Sprouts, Bosc Pear-Parsnip Gratin, reduction of tonight’s wine

The lamb was very nicely cooked, tender, juicy, and drizzled with an intense reduction of one of these wines… But in the end it’s a loin cut: tender, luxurious, but a little safe. Raves all around for the Brussels Sprouts, sweet and creamy from their internal sugars caramelizing over high heat, nudged along by a quick hit of maple syrup. Even lifelong sprout-haters were converted by these! And the gratin was a stealthy little side, looking for all the world like another boring potato dish, but instead it showed a lovely mellow sweetness from both the fruit and the root. It played a perfect supporting role to the lamb, and was pretty darn tasty on its own.

The Freemark Bosché went pretty well with this dish, until some troublemaker opened a bottle of the Freemark Sycamore, which quietly blew the doors of the Bosché. And I actually ended up backtracking to the Syrah, often enjoying that grape with Lamb, and indeed that was a good partnership as well. I think the Sycamore was the winner here.

Although, there was a back-door challenge being mounted from another direction altogether: a bottle of Latour Beaune had made its way around the table as well, almost causing a fistfight mid-table. Peacekeepers were called in, parachuting-in some extra glassware, and nobody was hurt. After the dust settled, that fruity red Burgundy was quite a hit, going nicely with almost anything. Be warned, Capaneus is making a concerted attempt to buy ALL of it, so you’d better get to the state store, like, now…

This was a very nice fall dessert, with thinly-sliced apples, crunchy crumbles and a very rich vanilla ice cream. It was quite delicious as served, but Katie was passing around a bottle of Two-Hands Moscato, daring us to disassemble our desserts and make moscato floats with the ice cream. And it was freaking awesome! That moscato was light and fizzy and flowery, with a big fruity nose that, after a few coin-flips, we decided was white peachy. That bottle is a STEAL at $15 for a 500ml. Go get some. Now. Trust us.

We were also generously provisioned with another dessert wine, and I’m ashamed to say I’m not even sure whose largess to credit. I was thinking it was the folks at the PLCB, but it could have been Greg…  In any case, thanks!  I kept missing the bottle, so I never saw exactly what it was. It was a much bigger, thicker, stickier drink, that picked-up on the apple in the dessert very nicely. It was a good match, and I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn’t fallen helplessly in love with the Two-Hands. 

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable meal, good wines, and great company. It was really cool to meet some more eGulleteers, and share a few glasses with some of the regular posse as well. Thanks again to everyone who got it together, I thought it was a great success.

(And just to head off any nasty rumors, NONE of us went to Capogiro afterward. That would have been sheer gluttony. )

OK I can also swear that none of us went to Copogiro after the meal. Not Capaneus, Katie, Diann, Philadining or I went.

I've said all along that I much prefer the Sycamore to the Bosce and it's nice to see some others agree.

I too would love to know the dessert wine that I believe Greg provided. It tasted like a nice port to me. Can anyone find out

Say no more..... here are the photo accompaniments. Let me add my thanks to Greg, Katie, Deidre and of course Jonathan Newman for a great night. It was nice to finally meet you. You know if the wife came along, it had to be special! Now many of you doubters know she actually exists.

I look forward to more of these BYO dinners!

Let me add my vote for Sycamore over Bosche. Also, some of these upcoming selections sound great - esp. the Inniskillin Riesling icewine......

Evan

I’ll echo the thanks for a truly enjoyable night at Rx. Of course, our gratitude to Chairman Newman for giving up his evening to eat and drink with us, and share some amusing and informative stories.  At the end of the evening I was even more convinced of his passion for improving the wine experience here in PA, and of his devotion to giving people opportunities to try new and better wines than they might have.  It was obvious that he takes a special glee in being able to wangle an excellent bargain, and it is a credit to him and the system in general that those savings are passed on to the consumers.  The very fact that he’s willing to come out to these public events, give a talk, and take questions, bodes well for the future of the wine scene here in PA. 

So, enough of the love fest, what did we think of the food and wine?  My (usually) trusty Pentax is in the shop, so I’ll leave it to Evan to post some pics the two of us took with his camera.

gallery_27885_1177_137616.jpg

Handmade  Fiorentine pasta, oxtail shortrib ragout, wilted chard, roasted tomatoes, Reggiano

gallery_27885_1177_247197.jpgMontes Alpha Syrah 2003

gallery_27885_1177_51156.jpg

gallery_27885_1177_183058.jpg

We were also generously provisioned with another dessert wine, and I’m ashamed to say I’m not even sure whose largess to credit. I was thinking it was the folks at the PLCB, but it could have been Greg…  In any case, thanks!  I kept missing the bottle, so I never saw exactly what it was. It was a much bigger, thicker, stickier drink, that picked-up on the apple in the dessert very nicely. It was a good match, and I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn’t fallen helplessly in love with the Two-Hands. 

Dough can sense fear.

It was, I believe, the RL Buller Premium Fine Muscat, PLCB code 11402. A great value at $12.49/375ml.

But not, of course, a Port.

well of course you would be qualified to make that distinction sir. It was most enjoyable and I'll be picking up whatever you don't buy.

Ditto to everything above, specially with thanks to those who made it happen.

I want to note the particular pleasure of sharing good food and wine with people who enjoy enjoying good food and wine.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I tried the Beaune two nights ago, and again last night. I really wanted to like this wine, as the price is certainly outstanding. The bottle I had was very disappointing, very little fruit, nothing off, but just not flavorful. Maybe it was just a bad bottle. I bought a half case and was going back for more, but I'm undecided. And yes, it was open for a couple hours and sampled throughout.

In any event, plenty of it in Lansdale as of Monday (as in multiple cases).

It was a blast. We had as much fun as you guys, except I kept missing snippets of the Chairman's exploits.

Thanks so much to Evan, for the idea, and to Katie and Dee for making it happen.

And I'll be looking for everyone at Django in Djanuary for teh next one, if we can get the Chairman to comit.

And for the record, I did not donate the wine: it was a very generous anonymous donor.

owner, Rx

It was a blast. We had as much fun as you guys, except I kept missing snippets of the Chairman's exploits.

Thanks so much to Evan, for the idea, and to Katie and Dee for making it happen.

And I'll be looking for everyone at Django in Djanuary for teh next one, if we can get the Chairman to comit.

And for the record, I did not donate the wine: it was a very generous anonymous donor.

If you can give us a sneak peek at the date when you know - that'll be just purdy.

Evan

PS - That Buller Muscat just got a Parker 96 so get some now while it is still around. That was good stuff - thanks Greg.

Dough can sense fear.

I tried the Beaune two nights ago, and again last night. I really wanted to like this wine, as the price is certainly outstanding. The bottle I had was very disappointing, very little fruit, nothing off, but just not flavorful. Maybe it was just a bad bottle. I bought a half case and was going back for more, but I'm undecided. And yes, it was open for a couple hours and sampled throughout.

In any event, plenty of it in Lansdale as of Monday (as in multiple cases).

Matter of preference, of course. It was certainly the least fruit-forward wine we had all night. I would describe it as earthy, leathery, terroir-laden Pinot, and bought the first of what will be two cases today. It matched up admirably with both the ragout and the lamb, on Tuesday.

By the bye, I will take this opportunity to add my thanks to all involved in this production, paticularly Greg, Mr. Newman, Katie and Deidre. Forgive if I forgot anyone.