• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Vietnamese in Paris?

Jason Perlow

Thanks to David’s suggestion, we went to Le Bambou the other night and loved it. 

Felice - A bit late for this week, but maybe useful info for the future is Thursday-Friday's Le Monde, in which Jean-Claude Ribaut, wrote a long article -Kim Anh, Vietnam in Paris,” about this 30 year old resto, chef’d for 20 of those years by Caroline Kim Anh. It’s at 51, avenue Emile-Zola in the 15th, 01.45.79.40.96, open every night except Monday, gastronomic menu = 34, a la carte about 40 E.

I concur with John,another excellent vietnamese restaurant is Le Banyan,again in the 15th.Around 30 E

• 9 months later...

I’ve been to a few Vietnamese places in the last few months and wanted to update this thread.

First I’ve since been twice to Sông Huong (129 avenue de Choisy) that I first came across as mentioned above on a Vietnamese message board somehow while Googling for Vietnamese restaurants in Paris. It’s a pretty non-descript place but the food was great. Great nem, bo bun and gigantic steaming bowls of all sorts of soup.

I’ve also been twice to La Tokinoise (20 rue Philibert Lucot). The last time I had a wonderful rare beef salad with lemon and cilantro and grilled shrimp and beef served with generous plates of mint, romaine lettuce and parcels of vermicelli noodles.

Just the other night I went to a little place called Bida Saigon in the mall on ave de Choisy. It’s pretty much “a hole in the wall” kind of place and my friends were definitely eyeing me with a lot of suspicion as we followed my directions that I had written down last year after reading about it in Zurban. They looked even more suspect when we saw the place. All was forgiven when we got our food though. Great nems and delicious Pho.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Just the other night I went to a little place called Bida Saigon in the mall on ave de Choisy.  It’s pretty much “a hole in the wall” kind of place and my friends were definitely eyeing me with a lot of suspicion as we followed my directions that I had written down last year after reading about it in Zurban.  They looked even more suspect when we saw the place. All was forgiven when we got our food though.  Great nems and delicious Pho.

There, you've found it! (Actually I'm the one who told Zurban about it.) This is the "best phó in Paris" I was mentioning earlier. Be sure to try the banh cuon (best in Paris too) and the bun cha ha noi.

There, you've found it! (Actually I'm the one who told Zurban about it.) This is the "best phó in Paris" I was mentioning earlier. Be sure to try the banh cuon (best in Paris too) and the bun cha ha noi.

I was wondering if that was the one :smile:

Merci Pitipois, I will definitely go back and to try the banh cuon and the bun cha ha noi.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Anyone been to Le Kok?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Thanks to David’s suggestion, we went to Le Bambou the other night and loved it.  It was a very lively place and the food was well prepared and very fresh.   We especially liked the raw beef salad and shrimp and green papaya salad.  Unfortunately it was a hot summer night, so no one tried the Pho.  The bill came to 25 € each for drinks (several) appetizers, main course, dessert, and coffee, so it was pretty much a bargin as well.   Merci beaucoup!

Well, David and Felice, Gilles Pudlowski has just reviewed it quite well as well in this week's Le Point. Well done.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks to David’s suggestion, we went to Le Bambou the other night and loved it.  It was a very lively place and the food was well prepared and very fresh.   We especially liked the raw beef salad and shrimp and green papaya salad.  Unfortunately it was a hot summer night, so no one tried the Pho.  The bill came to 25 € each for drinks (several) appetizers, main course, dessert, and coffee, so it was pretty much a bargin as well.   Merci beaucoup!

Well, David and Felice, Gilles Pudlowski has just reviewed it quite well as well in this week's Le Point. Well done.

John,

I can't get your link to work???

Well, David and Felice, Gilles Pudlowski has just reviewed it quite well as well in this week's Le Point.  Well done.

John,

I can't get your link to work???

Yes, well, herrumph, that's because it had too many characters in it; try it now.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 2 weeks later...

Vietnamese is my favorite type of food to eat here (in Seattle), and we have a few very good Vietnamese restaurants in which I eat often. This thread has piqued my interest in trying it in Paris, but would this be a "wasted" meal? I mean, are Vietnamese restaurants in Paris going to be so similar to what I eat at home, that it would be a shame to forego a great meal at a Parisian restaurant for this?

Vietnamese is my favorite type of food to eat here (in Seattle), and we have a few very good Vietnamese restaurants in which I eat often. This thread has piqued my interest in trying it in Paris, but would this be a "wasted" meal? I mean, are Vietnamese restaurants in Paris going to be so similar to what I eat at home, that it would be a shame to forego a great meal at a Parisian restaurant for this?

As a fellow Seattle-ite and lover of Paris, my answer would be "yes". If you want to have a non-French meal, I think you would be better off doing something that isn't available or at least isn't anywhere as good in Seattle, such as North African or Senegalese food.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946