• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme? Bah! Give me Chick-fil-a.

Won't be their first DC-area store, but the others are either on university campuses (Howard, AU and UMD) or in godforsaken wastelands like Ballston Common. (I keed, I keed!) By far the best fast-food sandwiches and salads out there, but don't take my word for it. They were interviewing prospective hires outside the mostly-finished SS shop front a few weeks ago, so should be up and frying soon.

We usually end up stopping in at the Bowie location next to the Baysox' stadium for a road food treat when escaping town for the beach on Route 50. Last time, I forgot it was Sunday and they were, in line with their founder's convictions, closed up tight observing the day of rest. I honestly thought my hungry and hormonal wife was going to cry. :sad:

(There was a happy ending. We made it to The Boatyard in Eastport where the fish and chips restored her spirits and the beer they batter it in restored mine.)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

iamthestretch, I love Chick-Fil-A!

On my annual trips back home to the States, I live in Alexandria and one of the first places I head for is Landmark Mall for a chicken sandwich.

Mmmm, I'd like to have one now. :sad:

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

All right, the new Chick-fil-a in Silver Spring is open and cooking. I went in for a chargrilled chicken sandwich today and continue to maintain it kicks about as much ass as a fast food sandwich can reasonably be expected to kick. Fresh, whole-grain bun; two slices of tomato, not squishy or mealy; one lettuce leaf, not limp; one grilled chicken breast, tender and juicy if not wildly flavorful. Add small sachet of honey roasted BBQ sauce and eat in five bites or less. My waffle fries, I have to say, were lousy -- even before I put sugar on them by mistake instead of salt. The place is so new it still smells more of long-chain plastic polymers than of grease, but I'm sure time will take care of that small imperfection.

(Edited to add: Since you asked, it's at 825 Ellsworth Drive. Take first right off Colesville Rd after the intersection with Georgia Ave, then second left. Must be my day for directions.)

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Crack-Fil-A is the best fast food joint.

Perhaps, the strongest testament to Chik-Fil-A's power is that I will actually travel to find it. And I almost NEVER leave DC. For a while, it was the main reason to visit Annapolis Mall. Now that there is one in Bowie, I am more willing to leave the city to visit my parents. And on a trip to Pennsyltucky for a wedding, my date and I kept searching (in vain) for a Chik-Fil-A to stop at. Damn.

What is it about this stuff? The butter on the bun? The sugar in the crust? The warm pickle slices?

I think there is another more sinister explanation: it's not the Colonel with his wee beady eyes we need fear. It's the bible thumper who owns Chik-Fil-A. That guy is the one who puts a highly addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly.

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam; spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam. "

All right, the new Chick-fil-a in Silver Spring is open and cooking. I went in for a chargrilled chicken sandwich today and continue to maintain it kicks about as much ass as a fast food sandwich can reasonably be expected to kick. Fresh, whole-grain bun; two slices of tomato, not squishy or mealy; one lettuce leaf, not limp; one grilled chicken breast, tender and juicy if not wildly flavorful. Add small sachet of honey roasted BBQ sauce and eat in five bites or less. My waffle fries, I have to say, were lousy -- even before I put sugar on them by mistake instead of salt. The place is so new it still smells more of long-chain plastic polymers than of grease, but I'm sure time will take care of that small imperfection.

(Edited to add: Since you asked, it's at 825 Ellsworth Drive. Take first right off Colesville Rd after the intersection with Georgia Ave, then second left. Must be my day for directions.)

Grilled?

Grilled?

Grilled?

No Grilled. Fried. It's what Chick-Fil-A is famous for. Bad for you, good tasting. :raz:

Ah, whatever. The Grilled there isn't bad either. It's just not the reason to specifically seek CFA out!

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I have to admit that I hate the new chargrilled chicken sandwich recipe. The marinade literally makes me sick, which is sad because the chargrilled chicken sandwich was my default "I don't know what to have for lunch" lunch, since I work over by Ballston Common.

I wish they would open a Krusty Burger. I want my Twisty Lard®!

In light of the fact there probably won't be a Krusty Burger opened in the DC area anytime soon, I'm more than happy with Chick-fil-a fries, but as mentioned, don't make the mistake of longing for it on a Sunday...

• 4 weeks later...

I found myself in Laurel the other day in need of food and stopped at the Chick-fil-a. I've been to them quite a few times, but just don't understand the raving about it. Even my grandmother (who could cook some amazing chicken dishes) used to rave about Chick-fil-a, asking me to take her there when she could no longer drive (and she hated fast food!). So I'm thinking this time I'll finally understand.... Nope-- it just a somewhat dry, fairly flavorless fried chicken sandwich (with those weird pickles). I can make a better chicken sandwich (seriously!)

Them waffle fries ain't bad, though...

Chris Sadler