• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tindoray/Karela recipe

RupenRao

Rupen,

Here’s my super simple recipe:

Chop ends of Tindora and slit into 4 lengthwise. Heat a little oil – give tadka with curry leaves, mustard and cumin seeds. Add some turmeric pd (optional) and then some chopped chillies and onions; when onions are golden add tindora and salt. Cook covered on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes (you may need to sprinkle a bit of water but normally the steam is enough). Garnish with lots of coriander and grated coconut and serve…

I HATE Karela :wacko: so I'll leave others to expand that topic for you .

Hi:

I have some tindoray and karela at home, does anyone have a simple/easy/fast recipe for making these two veggies. Non-curry recipes would be fine.

Edward: You made tindoray gujarati style right?

Lemme know.

Rupen

Rupen,

Gujurati-style....I dont remeber that. I just cut them lengthwise into 4 slices. Once in half and then those halves in half so that you have equal size pieces (like bague25) . Then I just cook them in oil or ghee with the typical powdered masalas....turmeric, chili powder and coriander. You can add cumin also, seeds or ground.

The thing is to make sure you cook them enough. After their initial tossing in the hot oil and after you add the masalas cook them on a med-low heat covered, stirring now and then, until very tender and browning, up to 15 minutes. Any excess moisture can be stir-fried off at the end. I usually salt these at the end too...

Try it this way and bague25's way (which I want to do as well) and see how it goes.

I LOVE karela, but dont cook it often because hardly anyone else around me does. So, I usually end up buying a small one, slicing it thin and then rubbing it with turmeric, salt and chili powder and frying it in small amount of good mustard oil until brown and crisp......remember only eat karela at lunch :biggrin:

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

I have a karela recipe, for some odd reason I have always loved karela, even as a kid.

1. Wash and peel the karelas but keep the peel.

2. Slit them in half so you have pocket like things. Scoop put seeds if there are some tough ones. Sprinkle some salt on the karelas and let it sit for a while. It will leave some water content, this will reduce the bitterness a bit.

3. Sprinkle the peels with some salt and let it sit as well. After a while, sueeze out the juice using your hands and discard the water.

4. In a small wok heat oil. Add finely chopped onions, dhaniya(coriander powder), red chili powder, turmeric. Now add the peels and saute this mix for a while, it should be pretty dry. Add some coarsely groung saunf(anise seed?). Add amchur powder (raw mango powder) and take it off the heat.

5. Squeeze some of the juices out of the slit karelas and discard all juice. Stuff the karelas witht he mix and tie some string to ensure it doesnt spill.

6. Use a realtively flat pan and heat soem oil/ghee in it. Shallow fry the karelas at low heat for a while till it auires a nice color. Cook on low heat for a while. If the karelas are exceptionally tough, you can cover the pan for a while. But cook it uncovered for the last 5 minutes so it acuires a crispness about it.

7. enjoy with hot rotis.

ITS EASIER THAN IT SEEMS.

Hi guys,

Thanks for both the recipes. I just made Tindoray according to bague25, they were awesome!

I have never put coriander, coconut powder and curry leaves in my tindoray, it was nice. Thanks!

In a couple of days, I will try karela, have been pretty busy lately hunting for an AFFORDABLE RENTAL PLACE :)

Rupen

I have a karela recipe, for some odd reason I have always loved karela, even as a kid.

1. Wash and peel the karelas but keep the peel.

2. Slit them in half so you have pocket like things. Scoop put seeds if there are some tough ones. Sprinkle some salt on the karelas and let it sit for a while. It will leave some water content, this will reduce the bitterness a bit.

3. Sprinkle the peels with some salt and let it sit as well. After a while, sueeze out the juice using your hands and discard the water.

4. In a small wok heat oil. Add finely chopped onions, dhaniya(coriander powder), red chili powder, turmeric. Now add the peels and saute this mix for a while, it should be pretty dry. Add some coarsely groung saunf(anise seed?). Add amchur powder (raw mango powder) and take it off the heat.

5. Squeeze some of the juices out of the slit karelas and discard all juice. Stuff the karelas witht he mix and tie some string to ensure it doesnt spill.

6. Use a realtively flat pan and heat soem oil/ghee in it. Shallow fry the karelas at low heat for a while till it auires a nice color. Cook on low heat for a while. If the karelas are exceptionally tough, you can cover the pan for a while. But cook it uncovered for the last 5 minutes so it acuires a crispness about it.

7. enjoy with hot rotis.

ITS EASIER THAN IT SEEMS.

My mom makes somehting similar except instead of salt we almost soak the karelas in yogurt to remove the bitterness and then wash them before stuffing

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice