• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dash and splash help?

kvltrede

Bitters comes in bottles with the plastic insert with the tiny hole. That makes it exceedingly simple to add a dash to a cocktail. But what if I want to add a dash of something in a bottle without the plastic insert? Is there a better way to add a "splash" or a "dash" of an ingredient than covering the bottle-opening with my thumb? I certainly hope so. What's your trick?

Thanks.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

One good way to get a "dash" of a liquid product that doesn't come with a "dasher" top, is to take a long enough straw and dip it into the bottle, then cover one end with your thumb, withdraw the straw, then with the straw over the mixing glass, release your thumb.

-Robert

Hey, now. That's a great idea. Thanks, Robert. Would you say that a dash is roughly equivalent to about a quarter-inch if using a standard drinking straw?

Also, what do you do when the bottle is nearly empty? My bottle of Luxardo is still plenty full for the straw-trick but someday it won't be. I find an emptier bottle easier to manipulate but if you have a different trick for the last third or so of the bottle I'd love to hear it.

Anybody want to chime in as to whether a dash and a splash are equal amounts? Some resources say yes. Others define a "dash" as 1/32 oz and a "splash" as 1/8 oz. I consider a splash to be more than a dash myself.

Thanks again.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

Yeah, I would say that a splash is definitely a larger quantity than a dash. However, I wouldn't get too concerned about it. You probably wouldn't be able to tell too much difference in the finished product.

FWIW, I've never seen a bottle of Luxardo that didn't have a pretty stingy built-in pourer. Should be easy to make that do a dash or a splash.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth