• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheesetique

I was walking down Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray this weekend and realized a new shop had landed without my noticing.

It's Cheesetique, which promises to be a neighborhood cheese shop opening just a couple blocks from Chez fimbul. It doesn't open till 9/2/2004, but just the idea of a boutique cheese shop in Alexandria is thrilling, though I wonder about the owner's business acumen, if not his/her sense of the quixotic. I have my fingers crossed, though.

Anyone know anything about this?

Anyone?

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

I had put some questions to the owner a couple of weeks ago. Here's the transcript:

What other retailers are you basing your store on?

- Honestly, there's no other retailer that does exactly what I will be

doing, namely, focusing almost exclusively on specialty cheeses. There

is one shop in Chicago that I visited and I would say that is the

closest model. Certainly, the education and experimentation at

Cheesetique is a new thing.

Are you going to have strictly artisanal and specialty cheeses? In

other words, if you can find it at Giant or Harris Teeter, it won't be

anywhere near your door, right?

- Yes, I am focusing on artisanal and specialty cheeses (though some

very fine cheeses are industrial-made in Europe, so there will be some

of those as well). I will pay a lot of attention to American artisanal

and farmstead cheeses. Very exciting stuff! But no, nothing pre-cut and

pre-wrapped. Everything will be cut-to-order.

Are you thinking of doing cheese "courses" (as in learning about

cheese?) like you find so many of the wine folks doing?

- I will offer cheese classes and tastings within the shop - the

schedule will soon be available online. Also, I will be doing private

cheese tastings for parties, etc. I have already done some cheese

courses for local restaurants and I have participated in their wine

dinners - lots of fun. And one of the main ideas at Cheesetique is to

taste before you buy.

Will you be doing your own aging?

- Technically, I will not be aging the cheeses. The facilities required

to do the cheeses justice are just a bit out of my reach for now.

Anyway, my Sept. 2 plan is:

1) Leave work

2) Cheesetique

3) Evening Star

4) Dreamery

5) Smile

This is wonderful, Pick up my wine at the Planet, and my cheese at Cheesetique. I gotta agree, the name is cheesy.... :raz:

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

This is very irritating news!!! Several years ago, I had the idea to quit the rat race of the international consulting field and open a cheese shop in Alexandria, Arlington or Falls Church. I even talked to banks about financing and started to establish a relationship with Neals Yard Dairy in London (if you can call shopping there a lot whenever I was in London and buying a lot of cheese "establishing a relationship...), but my friends all poo-pooed the idea, saying that DC was not the right kind of town for such a shop. I hope that this place does well, though, so perhaps I can open a branch for them!!

I had put some questions to the owner a couple of weeks ago.  Here's the transcript:

Are you going to have strictly artisanal and specialty cheeses?  In

The owner's answer to your second question begs a third question, based on his(her?) answer to your first.

If they're going to be retailing artisanal and high-quality industrial cheeses, cutting them to order, etc., then how is this different than Formaggio Kitchen in Boston or Artisanal in New York?

This is merely a request for clarification, since if this place is anything even close to those two, I'll be darkening their door so often that they may as well begin calling me The Shadow.

Yet it disturbs me that they say they're going to be sourcing the finest cheeses from around the world, but aren't going to be importing them when they're young (and subsequently aging them in-house.) This seems like almost a deal-breaker, and sends up the Red Flag From Hell should they want to compete on the national stage.

Eagerly,

Rocks.

I had put some questions to the owner a couple of weeks ago.  Here's the transcript:

Are you going to have strictly artisanal and specialty cheeses?  In

The owner's answer to your second question begs a third question, based on his(her?) answer to your first.

If they're going to be retailing artisanal and high-quality industrial cheeses, cutting them to order, etc., then how is this different than Formaggio Kitchen in Boston or Artisanal in New York?

This is merely a request for clarification, since if this place is anything even close to those two, I'll be darkening their door so often that they may as well begin calling me The Shadow.

Yet it disturbs me that they say they're going to be sourcing the finest cheeses from around the world, but aren't going to be importing them when they're young (and subsequently aging them in-house.) This seems like almost a deal-breaker, and sends up the Red Flag From Hell should they want to compete on the national stage.

Eagerly,

Rocks.

Don,

It is a she. I think you raise some superb points. But I do believe that she'll need to find that success and support initially to support investment in on-site aging. I don't even know if Dean and Deluca or Arrowine are even doing that locally. Whole Foods surely isn't, and their knowledge is lacking.

But let's say we're talking about the introduction here of a shop like Artisanal (I've not been to FK to comment), is a Del Ray location one that will see enough traffic to support such a high-end operation? I'd think it would be crying out for a location within the District.

Any way you cut the cheese, though, they better have a big door because there will, indeed, be a very large shadow hanging there!

Read a blurb in the Post Sunday Source about this place Cheesetique in the DelRay section of Alexandria. It's on Mt Vernon Ave. Anybody been or heard anything about it?

---

[i merged this in with an existing thread. Rocks.]

Edited by DonRocks (log)

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Read a blurb in the Post  Sunday Source about this place Cheesetique in the DelRay section of Alexandria. It's on Mt Vernon Ave. Anybody been or heard anything about it?

---

[i merged this in with an existing thread.  Rocks.]

It opens tomorrow 9/2.

Edited by mdt (log)
Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

I went in on Thursday, and it was very busy. I find it incredibly appealing to have all within a few blocks a cheese shop, a wine store, a bakery, etc. Then with the DelRay farmers market...... a nice way to shop!

The message below is posted on behalf Jill at Cheesetique, answering some of our questions:

Hello, eGullet members. This is Jill Erber, owner of Cheesetique in Del Ray. First, can I just say how cool it is to see a thread about the shop on eGullet? Second, I’d like to address some of the questions in your posts because they are all things that have been issues for me while designing the store.

This is not so different from Formaggio Kitchen in Boston (except that your commute to Cheesetique is much shorter). In fact, I was just at FK and their selection is lovely – well chosen and beautifully presented. I very much agree with their approach – it is better to have a smaller selection of cheeses that changes frequently that to overwhelm visitors with a selection of 400 cheeses. The most important thing is to offer interesting, hard-to-find selections and teach people how to choose and appreciate them. For those of you that have visited Cheesetique already, you know that our selection is not immense, but it is varied – and will continue to change daily. Also, all of our cheeses are cut and weighed to order (after being tasted by the customer to make sure he/she likes them). Something that does differentiate us from other cheese shops is the level of education that we provide – lots of information in the shop about choosing, serving, storing, etc. Also, our focus is on the cheese – FK offers prepared foods, wines, and a full gourmet market. (this is not a bad thing – their stuff is YUMMY!)

There are a number of reasons that in-house aging is impossible right now. First, the city’s health codes prohibit the storage of cheese at a temperature that is required for aging. Our cheeses must be kept quite cold, which would not allow for proper maturing of the cheeses. Second, even if health codes weren’t an issue, properly aging cheeses is an expensive and equipment-intensive process. As a small, self-funded start-up, such a setup was out of my reach. What I try to do as an alternative is select cheeses that are perfect for serving as they are. For instance, when my UK cheeses arrive from Neal’s Yard in a couple weeks, they will have already been aged to perfection so they are ready to enjoy. Regarding the “national stage”, that hadn’t even crossed my mind yet – I live in Del Ray and my shop is in Del Ray. Any future expansion would require lots of re-thinking on many levels.

But let's say we're talking about the introduction here of a shop like Artisanal (I've not been to FK to comment), is a Del Ray location one that will see enough traffic to support such a high-end operation? I'd think it would be crying out for a location within the District.

My quick answer is: YES! If the first few days are any indication, this is the perfect shop in the perfect location for lots of folks. We have been busy non-stop since the moment the doors opened. In fact, the popularity of the shop has been more than I anticipated (as my currently- low inventory can attest to). I will be fully restocked on Tuesday because I have sold out of so many things and am low on many others. You are correct, though – DC residents would support a shop like this – and they do. Many of my customers so far have come from the DC and Maryland.

Thank you all again for your interest – I hope to see each of you at Cheesetique soon. Just bear with me as I get my footing…

Jill

Try the Culatello-- reminds me a little of the Serrano I had in Spain. Went to Cheesetique on Saturday. Nice shop, friendly folks, and it seemed to be getting some steady business. The "Pete's" bleu from MN is excellent too. I'm waiting for the Taleggio (serious stink factor) to come to room temp for a bite.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I stopped by yesterday and the shop was bustling with activity. Once I got to the front of the line I ended up getting some morbier and 4-star cheddar, both very good. She does take her time with each customer, which I think is great even if it means you have to wait a bit. I wish her well and will be back.

Babka -- She had some Mt. Tam from Cowgirl Creamery that was selling like hotcakes.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Went to Cheesetique today, and got what is surely to become The Big Three that everybody gets: A cheddar, a blue (raw milk, no less...tasty!), and a choice cured ham product. Also the last of their salami, and some Soprasato. Lunch tomorrow is going to be a Thing Of Beauty. Serrano ham is truely the lunch-meat of the gods themselves.

They had a pretty good selection for late in the week, as well as recovering from the initial hit. Word from behind the counter is that the time to be there is Tuesday night, to get the pick of the Monday shipment.

-- C.S.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Bought some Beemster-- a kind of Gouda I believe. I really love this cheese. Also, to my GF's chagrin, I bought some Cabrales. Oh my.

What a great little shop-- and right across the street from Taqueria Poblano where we had a yummy lunch.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I give my highest recommendation to the Chateauguay, a raw milk camembert-style cheese from Quebec. If I could give a higher than highest recommendation, I would do so. Since you can't get real Normandy camembert here, this is a great substitute. You will very much like this cheese.

[since you can't get real Normandy camembert here, this is a great substitute. ]

Says who? I bring in the real raw deal all the time. You just need to know where to look. And it's real easy to get the stuff bastardized by Louis P.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey