• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parsippany/E. Hanover area

tkrongold

I always enjoyed Bill & Harry's Chinese on Rt 10 in E. Hanover...nothing wild and crazy, but always good, fresh food. It's on the Eastbound side in a small strip immediately after CompUSA and McDonald's. Haven't been, but somewhere on here is a thread about an Indian restaurant in EH called Saffron...

And if you're going to eat in that area, a minor 9-10 miles away is An American Grill in Randolph (on Rt 10)--THEM'S good eats. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks. I love Bill & Harry's - we go there all the time. A friend just recommended Florentine Grill so I think we'll try that. I just read the thread on it.

And, of course, I love Amer Grille, but we were looking for something a little more casual tonight.

Thanks!

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

BTW Mr. Chu in East Hanover and Noodle Chu in Parsippany is owned by the original partner in Bill and Harry -- Harry Chu. Harry isn't involved in Bill and Harry anymore, though.

Mr. Chu is a very, very good fancy-style American Chinese place with mostly Taiwanese staff and cooks, whereas Noodle Chu is an authentic dim sum and Hong-Kong style restaurant. Both highly reccomended.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I would also reccomend Penang on Route 10 in the shopping plaza with Kam Man Food. Its a very good Malaysian/Chinese restaurant, part of a small chain.

There is also another place in Parsippany on route 46 called Hunan Noodle House (a few miles down the road from Noodle Chu), which is actually Taiwanese. Also really good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 years later...

The Reservoir Tavern in Parsippany, really Boontown, is a blast from the past. We were advised to get off 287 en route from Baltimore to North Adams, Mass, by an old eGullet Society member, to try a place that was quite special, although some web reports were horrible. It’s been in business since 1936, run by the Bevaqua family, Nick being the current reigning presence, and specializes in pizza that has the best crust I’ve ever had in this country or in Italy. The beginning salads were very generous (the radicchio, arugula and other greeny things very fresh and tasty) and the pizza’s topping of garlic and clams a bit too wet for me but not Colette. The bread was incredibly good, especially with some garlic/pepper/rosemary infused olive oil; the salad and bread and the pizza crust ensured that we’ll be on by next year. Our bill = $34.51 with three iced teas and no dessert. This is a local’s place; all the patrons being either old folk, some from Nick’s high school class, or young’uns from the Silicon Valley East companies in the area.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I believe the Reservoir won best pizza in New Jersey a couple years ago, perhaps still maintain it. Like John mentioned, lovely pizza, especially right out of the oven on your table.

Another good bite, is a very small pizzeria right on rt. 10 in hanover, adjacent to a gas station and some office buildings. Had a banner over them saying "voted Morris County's Best". Though the name slips my mind.

P.S. The town's name is Boonton.

Jim