• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat near Pilot Pen

Scargo

This is my third year to attend the Pilot Pen in New Haven. Also, my third year to be disappointed in the food. Eating their fare for a week is too much! The $25.75 they want for the buffet in the only "inside eating" place is also outrageous!

This year I have a parking pass that allows us to come and go. But where can we eat that doesn't take two hours?

Is there anything closeby for dinner? On Orange, Derby, etc., that doesn't require driving downtown New Haven? I might settle for a Subway.....

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

I'll be the first to suggest New Haven pizza. Check out any of the eateries on Wooster Street--Pepe's and <arrgh, I can't remember the other one> come to mind. There are some long threads here about them.

Other than that, there are some decent things in the Yale area, but you may have to pass through downtown to get there.

Hot Tomato's has decent steaks.

I can't think of anything else right now....

Best,

Brad

As far as the Pizza goes there's also Modern Pizza and I think some place called Sally's. If I'm in New Haven for Pizza I usually go to Modern, Pepe's is always ridiculously crowded as well as Pepe's "The Spot."

If you're still hungry after pizza try coffe and pastries at Libby's, they also have gelato.

I guess I should have been clearer. We live in the area, and generally, we know the food available "intown". At the tennis food court, I have eaten the Pizza and Caeser Salad at "Modern's" booth till I am sick of it. I don't care for the "crepe" booth food and chicken sandwiches get old, fast.

I do not understand what seems to be an obsession people here have about pizza. Granted, it is very good in a couple of places in New Haven, but there are other, healthier foods. I get to feeling bad about what I am sticking into my body when I eat pizza more than once a week.... Modern's booth offers a plain cheese/tomato pizza and a pepperoni pizza--that's it!

It is 2.5 miles to Wooster Street, where there is the wonderful Italian food at Tre Scalini, but I do not want to go 2.5 miles through the heart of town to get there. We could go to The Rusty Scupper but we don't have all day.

I /we remembered 500 Blake Street and ate there yesterday evening. Was very good but not as good as usual. My frog legs were scrumptous and my son's veal saltimboca was good and the very reliable Chicken Dijon was succulent, but the scallops were overcooked and heading towards tough and the sauce and vegetable medley, which included old mushrooms, was pretty tasteless. Service was good, and fast, so we were able to get back for the evening tennis and missed only one game.

Any thoughts about what else might be a quick drive from the Yale Sports complex would be appreciated. Any diners or cafes that serve dinner? Whithout driving around the area, I have not come up with much. I want to avoid the slow driving/traffic/parking issues of going into downtown and back.

Thanks

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

• 2 months later...
I guess I should have been clearer.  We live in the area, and generally, we know the food available "intown". At the tennis food court, I have eaten the Pizza and Caeser Salad at "Modern's" booth till I am sick of it. I don't care for the "crepe" booth food and chicken sandwiches get old, fast.

I do not understand what seems to be an obsession people here have about pizza.  Granted, it is very good in a couple of places in New Haven, but there are other, healthier foods. I get to feeling bad about what I am sticking into my body when I eat pizza more than once a week.... Modern's booth offers a plain cheese/tomato pizza and a pepperoni pizza--that's it!

It is 2.5 miles to Wooster Street, where there is the wonderful Italian food at Tre Scalini, but I do not want to go 2.5 miles through the heart of town to get there. We could go to The Rusty Scupper but we don't have all day.

I /we remembered 500 Blake Street and ate there yesterday evening.  Was very good but not as good as usual.  My frog legs were scrumptous and my son's veal saltimboca was good and the very reliable Chicken Dijon was succulent, but the scallops were overcooked and heading towards tough and the sauce and vegetable medley, which included old mushrooms, was pretty tasteless. Service was good, and fast, so we were able to get back for the evening tennis and missed only one game.

Any thoughts about what else might be a quick drive from the Yale Sports complex would be appreciated. Any diners or cafes that serve dinner?  Whithout driving around the area, I have not come up with much. I want to avoid the slow driving/traffic/parking issues of going into downtown and back.

Thanks

Scargo: I know this reply is extremely outdated, but I can tell you for next year that the River Restaurant and Fortune Pavilion, both located in Wal-Mart Plaza down Route 34 in Derby are very decent dining establishments for a quick dinner during the game. I agree that Blake Street has really gone down hill. IF you head right on Forest Road to Whalley Avenue/Westville and go North on Whalley beyond the entrance to 15, there is a terrific Chinese buffet place and a good jewish deli in the plaza. I am not a Japanese fan, but the place right on Route 34 in West Haven next to the Nissan dealership also gets very very good reviews--it is practically across from the Pilot parking area. Finally if you head left on Forest Road and follow Campbell Avenue all the way south to the West Haven Beaches and left on Ocean, you can dine outdoors at Chips for delicious soft shell crabs. If you head toward Derby on Route 34 and make a left on Racebrook road out to Route 1 in Orange, you could take a left on Route 1 and dine at Bajas (excellent CA-style Mexican) across from Staples; you could take a right on Route 1 and eat at Gabrielle's next to Namco or Jacob Marleys in the bar for decent pub food.

• 9 months later...

Well, It's time again to ask the perennial question: Where can I eat while at the Pilot Pen, besides the food court (burp :wacko: ) or the overpriced and mundane (one) restaurant across from the food court?

I tried Golden Seafood on Whalley recently. It is just beyond the light at Highway 122 (really a street). It was fantastic! We had soft-shelled crab, vegetable pot stickers and a seafood mix. Service was good.

I want to try the Tex-Mex place "Pancho's Cantina", across the street from The Racquet Koop, but haven't yet. Since I am a native Texan, I think I may be disappointed though "The Menu" says it's decent fare. Anyone been there? :unsure:

500 Blake Street is not open for lunch, anymore.....

I am going to try others (as derived from those in "The Menu"- which are in "Westville") in the few remaining day and I will report back....

Can anyone recommend others or any that are in a different direction and yet as close to the Pilot Pen??

Additionally, has anyone tried "tailgating" whle there? I know you can't bring food and drinks in but what about out in the parking lot?

Edited by Scargo (log)

• 1 month later...

I can report back that Pancho's Cantina was a big hit. Pretty damn good food for being so far from Texas! We must have eaten there five times while attending th Pilot Pen.

Also good, in the Westville area, was Golden Seafood. The manager, who very often waited on us, or at least took our orders/makes suggestions was superb in recommendations and quick service. The food was excellent. I had soft-shell crab one day and whole sea bass another day. The calamari was as good as I have ever had. Cooked to perfection-so it was not tough! Portions were large.

We also went down to Tandoor for Indian food several times. It turned out not to take that long and they have parking in the back.

We ate once in the food court, when time was too tight between matches we wanted to see! I can take that :)