• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

food trucks in new jersey

glenn

Someone wants to know...

the real lowdown on operating a food truck, like a hot dog truck, only it'll be upscale sandwiches and stuff. And a bus would be used so all the equipment and prep (no cooking) can be done on the bus. Anyone know someone in the biz? Don't need info on the legalities and permits and stuff, just the reality of it.

Don't know any of them personally, but there's a solid base of trucks at Rutgers in New Brunswick! Down there, they're known as the Grease Trucks--but many of them have been there for YEARS. Might be worth a ride down to sample some food and chat with the folks who run them...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I went to a Grease Truck in New Brunswick once four years ago and had a sandwich called Fat Budda. I can't remember the location of the trucks (I was driven there) or the contents of the sandwich as it was so long ago. To be totally honest, I really have not felt a need to return .

I didn't say it was GOOD food!!! Just that they've been there a long time. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I went to a Grease Truck in New Brunswick once four years ago and had a sandwich called Fat Budda. I can't remember the location of the trucks (I was driven there) or the contents of the sandwich as it was so long ago. To be totally honest, I really have not felt a need to return .

The Grease Trucks, once parked along College Avenue in front of Scott Hall (one of the main classroom buildings on the Main Campus), are now parked in the parking lot across the street. This is all at the intersection of College Avenue and Hamilton Street.

The Fat Darnell was recently named "Best Sandwich" by Maxim magazine. Maybe it's from the same truck?

The Fat Darnell was recently named "Best Sandwich" by Maxim magazine.  Maybe it's from the same truck?

Yup--it was featured on Good Morning America just the other day!! It had EVERYTHING on it...iirc, chicken fingers, mozz sticks, lettuce, tomato, and who knows what else...

I must admit that in four years at RU, I only hit the Grease Trucks ONCE. And it was a very late night visit... :raz:

Grease truck food was (and probably still is) best consumed after 2 AM as you stagger home from Old Queens, or so I've been told :raz::raz:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I must admit that in four years at RU, I only hit the Grease Trucks ONCE. And it was a very late night visit... :raz:

During undergrad my best friend went to RU. She lived right on College Ave. a block or two from the grease trucks. Second semester of my sophmore year I drove down every other weekend. Saturday night/Sunday morning we always ended the evening there.

That was some good grease.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe