• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Japanese" Japanese in NJ

mascarpone

My girlfriend is from Tokyo. I am going to avoid the convention next week by hanging out at her place in New Brunswick. We are interested in very good Japanese food. From searching the New Jersey site it seems that Sagami in Collingswood and Fugi in Cinnaminson are the best in the state for Sushi. Is this correct or am I missing the ball?

My girlfriend is from Tokyo. I am going to avoid the convention next week by hanging out at her place in New Brunswick. We are interested in very good Japanese food. From searching the New Jersey site it seems that Sagami in Collingswood and Fugi in Cinnaminson are the best in the state for Sushi. Is this correct or am I missing the ball?

I took a Japanese friend to Fuji and she was quite impressed. Sagami tends to be less hospitable and less creative. More of a rush to get you out than to allow you to savor your meal.

Make your reservations for AT THE SUSHI BAR ITSELF. You'll have far better service and the evening is much more entertaining when you can chat with Chef Matt Ito or his couterparts behind the bar. Fuji is BYOB so pick up some wine or sake to enjoy with your dinner.

Feel free to PM me if I can assist you with your plans.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

asajehi in princeton is at that level, filled with japanese patrons every day and night, and much closer to New Brunswick!

Thanks Kim WB, I am interested--I hate to schlep. Could you let me know some details such as Street address/cross Street and telephone number possibly. I looked up asahegi on Google and City Search and did not have any luck.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

• 3 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I ended up going to Fugi in Cinamonsin. It was a very pleasant meal. I ordered a great Sunomono appetizer and she got a very good Nuta which consisted of sugar, wasabi, miso, and vinegar over tuna, scallion and cucumber as an ornament. As a main course I had the Sushi Deluxe that came with a great roll whose name I can't remember; but on the inside there was Hamachi, Gobo ( a pickle that resembles a carrot), Tobuko (read caviar) on the outside. All of the fish, particularly the Salmon was fantastic. The individual sushi size was a bit smaller that what I am used to as I frequent Tomoe in Manhattan. However, the quality was as high as I am used to in Manhattan. My girlfriend had Chirashi that was very good. She remarked that the Chef (Matt) was extremely fast in preparing the fish and that he could probably work in a Manahattan restuarant. As a chef, Matt was extremely personable. He talked about his frequent visits and his knowlege of all the sushi restuarants in New York. He said he was particularly interested to see what the new Nobu restaurant next to Carnegie Hall will do for the Sushi scene in New York. Matt is a real master at his work.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

I love Fuji too. The eel there is so good and the sashimi too. The sushi chef there knows what he is doing and you're right, the quality is comparable to manhattan. I'm sad it's so far from me in Morris County. Haven't found much although Fujiyama in Hackettstown has great fish and a good chef.

I love Fuji too. The eel there is so good and the sashimi too. The sushi chef there knows what he is doing and you're right, the quality is comparable to manhattan. I'm sad it's so far from me in Morris County. Haven't found much although Fujiyama in Hackettstown has great fish and a good chef.

Thanks for reminding me of the fantasic eel at Fugi. This is a very distictive and excellent item served by Matt. I can't believe I neglected to mention it as it was such a memorable experience--comparable to eel I ate at an only-eel-restaurant in Nikko, Japan last December.

I'm glad you and your friend enjoyed my favorite sushi spot. Matt is indeed an artist, a personable host and a most humble master chef.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

Ajian on Route 22 in Watchung is very, very good.

I agree. Ajian is very, very good. Daimatsu in Mountainside is really good, too. Both are Japanese owned restaurants. Daimatsu is a block away from Restaurant 89.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891