• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookware Stores in Vancouver

There is a great new online cookware store based in Vancouver called City Chef. They have Scanpan, Kuhn Rikon, Mauviel, Le Creuset and many other interesting kitchenware products. Their website is www.citychef.ca

Definitely worth checking out.

I could not find out who the parent company is...Way to much inventory to be a stand-alone company. I purchased The Handi, for curry service, this morning. I will post when it is delivered.

Nice find, Mogelgaard!

Edited by Chef Fowke (log)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

If I remember correctly, citychef is owned by an egullet member.

I doubt she'd want that posted either.

Oh and if you have any friends in the states, you can always order from amazon and have it sent there. I really love the circulon I have and the prices were fab. Ive also bought some wonderful calphalon from amazon too.

The best deal was a sitram fry pan off ebay for 32 bucks.

Ouch! it's public/private data, but...I wouldn't necessarily want it posted thus here if I were he...

My apologies if public data about a website offended some - apparently enough for the post to be deleted.

Just in case you are curious about the source of the data. You can find the owner of websites in Canada (.ca) by entering the domain name at:

Cira Whois

which gave the ownership info for citychef.ca. I was just trying to respond to Chef's inquiry about the ownership of the company.

Cheers!

i don't understand why who owns a store would be considered private data?

It wasn't the who, it was the address and telephone number of the website registrant. Which may or may not have been a business address/number.

Perhaps I'm extra-sensitive about this, being a single female website registrant. :hmmm: ...the information is available to anyone with an internet connection, but that doesn't mean I'd want it posted on a message board.

*shrug* I didn't report the post, but I can see why they removed it.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Yeesh. I get it. :angry:

Every once in a while when checking the stats for my site I see that someone has done a "who is" search on me. It makes me a little nervous to see how easy it is. It lists everything, down to my home address (I just moved so all the freaks are free to torment the new tenants :biggrin: ), phone, et cetera. As to how they got the info about my drooling problem is beyond me. I'm pretty sure my mom told them about my penchant for yoda underoos.

Out of curiosity, can I send these "who is" people an e-mail telling them to buzz off or is my identity public domain and there's nothing I can do about it?

I wouldn't want this cookware thread to veer even farther from the kitchen so please PM me if you've got some inside dope on how it all works. Thanks.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

• 3 months later...

After 15 years with the same old pots, I'm ready to invest in some good cookware. After reading a number of egullet discussions, I've settled on Falk Culinair - at least one good sauciere to start. Is there a place in Vancouver that supplies it? I know that the online Falk Culinair site will ship it here, but I figure with shipping + border fees, it's probably easier to find a local store. Help please!

Also planning to buy a Staub "cocotte" even though I love my Le Creuset just because I've read enough in the braising forum to be very curious. Is there a place in town that sells Staub?

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

I've never seen it in stores. Seems to be mail order only.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

After buying a brand new EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener off of E-Bay I want to say, "Don't write off mail order". I saved $50 even though Canada Post takes their $8 - $9 cut delivering it. I like supporting local businesses, but I also like to look out for number 1, me. Check E-Bay, it's easy to do.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Try Puddifoot's

They have a store in Kerrisdale but also a restaurant supply in South GRanvill area.

Jason Puddifoot is the owner and he would know the best. The # is 604-263-0971

Thanks, I'll call them.

T

• 2 weeks later...

They do deliver to Canada, but I would be responsible for the duty once it hit the border and, in past experiences, the duty has sometimes added up to more than half the cost of the item purchased. It just seems easier to find it locally where the price quoted is the final price - no surprises.