• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookware Stores in Vancouver

I have heard varying pieces of advice about putting All-Clad in the dishwasher so I haven't. What is your advice? Can you put All-Clad in the dishwasher?

I think that the answer to this question depends upon the line of ALL CLAD that you have. To my knowledge the only line that they say you can put in the dishwasher is the stainless steel line.

Life is short, eat dessert first

I just bought 2 Calphalon Commercial items on Ebay--a 2.5 qt. saucepan and a 8 qt. (or is it 8.5 qt.?) pot for braising meats. I'll probably head down to Gourmet Warehouse tomorrow since it's my day off, and I'll post if I find some deals. :smile: Thanks for all the help!

Edited by Ling (log)

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard varying pieces of advice about putting All-Clad in the dishwasher so I haven't. What is your advice? Can you put All-Clad in the dishwasher?

Foodie,

I've placed my All-Clad Masterchef in the diswasher for 20 years with no ill effects. We have discovered that a good dishwasher will do a better job keeping the aluminum looking clean.

Tim

• 2 months later...

ling I hope that you can find your Nordic Ware Cathedral pans, this place has everything a food nut could want in food presentaion, they have some of the best plateware in the city, one can find cheaper places but I do not think??; one could find the same selection and beautiful plates and housewares.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I went to Cookworks, Puddifoot, and Motiv today.

Cookworks had almost the entire line of Nordic Ware pans (both flexible and non-stick) but unfortunately they didn't have the Cathedral one I wanted. The non-stick ones, at 44 dollars each, aren't a very good deal. I bought a ceramic knife sharpener though.

Puddifoot had a very limited selection of bakeware. They don't carry Nordic Ware.

Motiv had one regular bundt pan from Nordic Ware. I bought a Silpat (for 30 dollars, just a little bit more than Gourmet Warehouse if I remember correctly).

No fancy bundt pan for me.

Superstore has the Bavaria Nordic Ware bundt, and the mini bundt pan on sale this week for something like 25 bucks if anyone is interested.

(The kiosk outside the Gap at Pacific Centre has the Rose Nordic Ware bundt for 40 dollars too, but you can find it for a lot cheaper on Ebay.)

Edited by Ling (log)

I have been very lucky on occasion to find WMF cookware at winners. I pop in to the local winners every few weeks to see what they have.

I'd definitely keep your eye on "Home Sense". They are the same company as Winners but feature only housewares. They have great deals on some really nice bakeware. I've seen Nordic Ware, Paderno, Chicago Metallic, etc. Of course their stock is always changing so if you see something you want you have to buy it right then. And if you don't see what you want, try back in a couple weeks. I don't know if they have a store in Vancouver. There's one in Coquitlam just east of Ikea, and one in Langley on the by-pass near Chapters. There's also one coming next spring in Abbotsford which is about 20 minutes from me so I'm pretty excited about that. :)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Greetings,

First time online with you.

Wasted/loved 5 hours today in my bathrobe listening to Duke Ellington and went crazy with joy about this site....(wife and daughter out of town for a few days)

Regarding places to purchase "wares" for the kitchen'

London Drugs.....hahah hey

Paderno set of 3 non stick, heavy based pans set 99.00

1/2 the price of any other store in town.

I purchased a Le Creuset knock-off 8litre made in China for 25 bucks....

I couldn't help it (i'm part scotish)

SPCA Thrift store Alma and tenth

I guess they get the hand me downs from PT Grey and Dunbar

Have collected several iron cast pots , grills and skillets for pennies

as well as a good selection of cookbooks (all under 2 buck ea.)

Winners does from time to time carry Le Creuset at decent prices.

Ming Wo on 4 th was blowing out Le Creuset at 1/2 price for a now discontinued colour

Not sure if they still have any.

From what I have gathered, All Clad's 3 ply format' patten ran out this year.

Therefore you will see a lot more companies offering the same products.

and or you will see All Clad's prices come down.

There are at least 2 new firms offering now, be careful of ones from China

Good luck

Dress British Think Yiddish

First time online with you.

Wasted/loved 5 hours today in my bathrobe listening to Duke Ellington and went crazy with joy about this site....(wife and daughter out of town for a few days)

Welcome keyes! You're in big trouble dude ... wife and kids gone and you discover eGullet? You're getting nothing done while they're gone! :biggrin:

Good suggestion on the Thrift store. My wife goes to second hand stores for clothes in the same area. Great selection!

A.

Ling --

If you REALLY wanted that Nordic Ware cathedral cake pan, I know Williams-Sonoma has them.

Last time I was in Toronto, the manager at Williams-Sonoma on Bloor told me that if I ever wanted anything from there, to just call the store -- said they ship to Vancouver quite regularly.

Don't know how much it would cost to ship, and don't know how quickly they could do it, but I know it's an option if you REALLY REALLY wanted it :)

Xando Head/Katherine

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Thanks, but I just bought a cheaper version of the Rose bundt from Nordic Ware. (It's not the gray, very heavy aluminun one, it's the red non-stick for $16 at Superstore.)

I must say I was very disappointed with the appearance of my lemon pound cake. The cake was nicely and evenly browned, but the rose "petals" ended up looking like uneven lumps (even though the cake released perfectly from the pan). And a brown and lumpy cake just doesn't look too appetizing, if you know what I mean! :angry: I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...so I just ate a piece of cake. At least that was good.

I think I have to wait for the Cathedral pan if I really want it...my bank account has been taking a beating these past few weeks with all my holiday shopping!

• 2 weeks later...

SPCA Thrift store Alma and tenth

I guess they get the hand me downs from PT Grey and Dunbar

Have collected several iron cast pots , grills and skillets for pennies

as well as a good selection of cookbooks (all under 2 buck ea.)

Thanks for the tip, Keyes. I'm equipping my culinary student micro-apartment this week. Just picked up at SPCA a beautiful Japanese 10" cast iron fry pan that someone has thoughtfully spent 30 years seasoning for me. 2 bucks.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, but I just bought a cheaper version of the Rose bundt from Nordic Ware. (It's not the gray, very heavy aluminun one, it's the red non-stick for $16 at Superstore.)

I must say I was very disappointed with the appearance of my lemon pound cake. The cake was nicely and evenly browned, but the rose "petals" ended up looking like uneven lumps (even though the cake released perfectly from the pan). And a brown and lumpy cake just doesn't look too appetizing, if you know what I mean!  :angry: I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...so I just ate a piece of cake. At least that was good.

I think I have to wait for the Cathedral pan if I really want it...my bank account has been taking a beating these past few weeks with all my holiday shopping!

Lorna, I saw your Cathedral pan! at Cookshop in City Square. I'm sorry I didn't notice the price though. Maybe you should get it now, ready for next year :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Ling, you should try Ikea.

When I was buying stuff for our new place I got trapped in their kitchen section. While I'm no authority on cookware, I found and bought some really great items at Ikea prices! This was in the Po Co location.

• 1 month later...