• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookware Stores in Vancouver

Does anyone know where I can find a good quality, basic set of cookware (perhaps 8 pcs?) I'm looking for something that can last me for a few years, and I'm just a beginner hobby cook so I don't need anything that fancy. I'm hoping to spend under $300. The Bay had Circulon sets for 50% off yesterday, and I think they are selling the T-Fals with the red dot for 70% off starting today. Are these brands worth considering?

(btw: I made my first major cooking investment today--I bought a Global G2 Chef's knife! :biggrin: )

Motiv on Granville, owned by Ming Wo brings in discontinued Calphalon and blows it out during the Christmas shopping season. I got two great pieces left over from the sale. My advise is to buy one piece at a time. I have mixed and matched together some All-Clad, Calphalon, Cuisinart and le Cruset over the years. It seems eclectic, but is actually very much more functional.

I need non stick for eggs, but you can't use non stick if you are making a pan sauce because the fond does not develop aunless it sticks to the pan. I need cast iron for braising and aluminum for blanching. It also has to look good. I am very vain.

BTW copper looks very serious, but is a pain in the ass to keep clean. Stainless Steel is easy to keep clean but doesn't conduct heat well. So some type of composite works the best.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

There's a (or at least used to be) a Calaphon outlet in that super crappy outlet mall just over the border 5-6 miles down the I-5. We slowly accumulated a full set a piece at a time from there when we were first married, still using it, although the frying pans are almost ready to go to frying pan heaven.

It's in a cafe called the Bluemoon or something similar, half the store devoted to coffee, half to deeply discounted Caphalon. I haven't been there in a couple years at least, so I have no idea if its' still there. Drove past the place going to Seattle last weekend, and noticed there were very few stores still operating there, so it too may be gone. If not some terrific buys can be had.

Hi Ling:

Although it may be a bit of a trek for you, I would suggest checking out HomeSense (Coquitlam or Langley) I've seen some pretty good deals on my travels out there, especially on brand name stuff like Le Creuset and Calphalon.

Good luck,

Scout

Ling,

Ming Wo in Chinatown seems to offer a year round discount on All-Clad - especially if you're buying a couple of pieces. I agree with Coop on the necessary variety of pots and pans to be functional. My cast iron saute pans get a regular work-out and Le Cruset is perfect for braising. All-Clad performs beautifully and cleans up bright & sparkling.

Gourmet Warehouse used to offer a pretty good selection; but I don't know how well-priced.

Good Luck and happy spending!

Rover

Ling ,

I have had "All-Clad" and it has been fine. I have a few new pans that I got from Puddifoot's a couple of years ago. Demeyer is the name I think. I know that only Puddifoot's offered them. They are fantastic. I can't recall how $$ they were as I bought them for the restaurant on a big supply order. We had a handle break off of the All Clad - it was used lots but I have not had a handle brak off of the Demeyer - they actually have stay cool handles which is great.

It might be a few $$ more but you will have them for life.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Keith, The outlet mall in WA is pretty much deserted now. The kitchenware store closed well over a year ago now.

Ling, if you can get down to the States, you can find some really good deals at the Bon/Macy's in Bellis Fair. I have a full set of Circulon that I got 7 years ago and have thrown out one pan and have another on the way out. The non-stick coating does eventually flake off, and if you burn something, it's virtually impossible to get all of it off because of the ridges. I'm not that impressed with it. I did pick up a couple of Belgique pans at the Bon when they were on sale; anywhere from 7.99-19.99USD. They are stainless, really heavy, conduct heat better than some of my really expensive french pans, and have stay cool stainless handles. They seem to always have them on sale, plus their high-end lines are always quite a bit less than they are here. With the dollar as good as it is, it's definitely a savings.

Ling,

I would stay away from the Circulon and T-Fal as I've had to toss them out after a few years as well. I too like the saute and frypans from All-Clad and Calphalon. All were bought during sales events. You may be able find a few pieces of Le Creuset at HomeSense (or even some Winners stores) at a decent price. They are not only nice to look at but cook wonderfully. Keep your eyes open for Lodge or Wagner cast iron frypans. They are economical and will last forever.

Cuisinart and Kitchenaid have both jumped into the pot and pan business with little success. Look for thier products discounted at about half the price of All Clad. The 2 composite Calphalon pans I bought this year (one copper, one stainless) are the equal of my All Clad at about a quarter the price.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Genesis food equipment near powel and vitoria just down from gourmet warehouse, lots of new (and used kitchen equipment) plus a good selction of pots, pans and other usefull( and useless) stuff.

I have had some of my Calphalon pieces for 20 years or so now and they are still giving good service. About 3 years ago I bought some All-Clad pieces and think they are fabulous as well. I was looking at one of the All-Clad non-stick pans at Gourmet Warehouse about a year or so ago and they suggested I try one of their other brands - starts with an R (too lazy to run upstairs and check the name). It was a LOT less expensive and I bought 3 different sizes for less than 1 All-Clad piece. And, you know what? Excellent non-stick. I make my stir frys in the larger pan and I use the largest burner on my gas stove at full throttle and the finish is still decent (I use the Cooks Illustrated Stir-Fry recipe which has you heat the pan for almost 10 minutes at the highest heat). So for the money you can't beat these pans. Suggest you check out the Gourmet Warehouse.

Cheers,

Karole

Repeating some, but here's my two bits:

Don't buy a set, you'll end up paying for stuff you don't want and will never use. You probably need less than you think and if you buy quality now (on sale is best) you will have it for life.

For non-stick frying pans (which you will want for eggs and fish) either buy T-Fal on sale and expect to chuck and replace every couple of years or buy commercial quality. The ones at Gourmet Warehouse recommended by someone else on this thread have worked well for me. Lots of very expensive non-stick does not last any longer than T-Fal and doesn't necessarily offer more functionality (spoken from experience).

You'll want a cast iron frying pan too, they are cheap and last forever. Lodge is good, I think.

Le Creuset is great but very heavy. Think about whether you want to be lugging it around full of food before you buy it.

Cookworks on Hastings has some Calphalon on sale right now. I just bought a stainless 2.5 quart saucepan with lid for $49. I also got an All-Clad saucier there on sale over the summer. Also I've seen Calphalon at Winners. Others have mentioned other spots to check out. All Clad looks beautiful but it is pricey.

I haven't shopped at the commerical suppliers but I would think they are worth checking out.

My experience is you don't need a lot if you choose wisely. Spend money where it counts.

Cheers,

Anne

I would keep my eyes open for internet specials and I frequently find deals on Amazon. I have a very motley collection of cook-ware but I finally feel I've gotten the right collection for all kinds of cooking, even though they're hardly a pretty, matching set. I find online deals with free shipping or closeouts. I go to the thrift stores and have found cast iron and abandoned commercial style pans there.

Any thoughts on Lagostina? It may be pretty pedestrian, but we picked up a set (Costco ... don't shoot me, I'm just there for the cheese :biggrin: ) and it works fine. Granted I'm only talking about one non-stick (everything else is pots), but the bases are heavy, and can handle the flame.

I also have a heavy bottomed stainless-steel pan. EVERYTHING sticks in it, so I rarely use it. However, after reading this and other posts I'm sure it's just my technique (or lack thereof). How best should I use this pan?

It seems there are some "must-haves" as far as pans go. I'm not a professional, nor even an amateur (like Coop), but want a decent selction to handle most situations. What are your "must haves"?

Arne

Daddy-A:

I think Lagostina is fine. My mom has had hers for years and I cook with it all the time and have no complaints except that I like metal handles.

As for essentials, I've attached a link to an article that might help but here is my list:

1 Stock pot - tall and narrow. For stock obviously, but also soup. pasta, corn other large, boiling-type activities.

2. Non stick frying pan - for fish, eggs, fast and easy clean up. All those dark crusty bits that make a great pan sauce won't happen with non-stick though so you really need something else too.

3. A cast iron frying pan is good for holding heat and things you want to start on the stove top and then put in the oven. They are cheap and improve with age. Or get a stainless steel frying pan if you don't like cleaning cast iron which can be a pain in the butt.

4. 2 saucepans/sautee pans one about 2 quarts and high sided, one bigger, but wider and shallower - for vegetables, boiling down liquids for sauces, frying.

After that I think it depends on what you cook a lot. If you do lots of braises and stews then you want a dutch oven kind of thing that can go from stove top to the oven. If you do lots of stove top things then you might want a larger, deeper sautee pan with a lid.

Link: Fine cooking essential pots and pans

Cheers,

Anne

I agree that the Gourmet Warehouse is a great place to buy cookware. I purchased several pieces of All Clad there at prices far below other retail outlets in Canada. I also have purchased new All Clad from EBAY at unbelievably low prices. You have to be patient until something comes up that you want, but that is half the fun. The ALL CLad roaster is fabulous. I don't know how extensive the current selection of ALL CLAD is at the GW. The last few times I was in there they seemed to be carrying less and less of it, but it is worth a look.

If you haven't already ready the egullet piece done by Kinsey http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...17&hl=saucepans , I would suggest you do so. It is a very informative piece and will give you an idea of what fits into your cooking style, budget and time.

I would second the notion not to purchase a "set". Different kitchen applications need different cooking surfaces. Have a good think about the type of cooking you do and purchase good pieces as you can afford them. I love my stainless steel All Clad, but I do not use it for everything. I still regularily use my grandmothers cast iron skillet as well as the ALL CLad non stick pan.

My ALl Clad stainless is by far and away the best of stainless pots/pans I have ever owned. Nothing sticks or burns compared to cheap sets.

I know that stainless steel not as good a heat conductor as copper, but for me it is a trade off between that and dishwasher compatability. My life style is not condusive to the labour instensity that copper demands. Having said that one of these days I will purchase ONE super duper copper pan.

Have fun making your purchase :smile:

PS. I don't know if I posted the link properly as I have never done this before. If it doesn't work perhaps someone with more skills than I can do it again.

Life is short, eat dessert first

I'm looking at some Calphalon Commercial and All-Clad stuff on Ebay. I'll head down to Gourmet Warehouse sometime this week and see what's available.

Thanks, barolo, for the list.

Also, I'm probably going to pick up a slow-cooker. I've seen some (small ones) for only 20 bucks. Do I have to worry about the brand, or are they all basically the same? Does anyone know the difference between a 20 dollar cooker and a pricier one?

I have always bought my pots and pans through the big houses in Vancouver (industrial)...recently I have been shopping for wedding gifts in both the Bay and (yes, stop laughing) Canadian Tire. WOW! Very progressive selection of pans and cook wear.

To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art La Rochefoucauld