• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melon Soups

rgruby

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions (well, recipes really) for a nice chilled melon soup? Any preferred melons, or varieties that aren't so good to use?

Thanks,

Geoff Ruby

I think the recipe for the summer melon soups we've been serving at Rouge is pretty simple. Pureed Canteloupe, fresh herbs of choice (usually mint or basil), a bit of fresh lemon juice, sparkling wine and drizzled with thinned yogurt. Quite refreshing.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Not a recipe per se, but from work I recall taking honeydew, pureeing it, mixing in water, salt and pepper, and a little rice wine vinegar; doing the same with canteloupe; then pouring the two into a soup plate for a kind of yin-yang effect, topping with some thinned-out creme fraiche, a few curry-grilled shrimp, and pappadum chips.

Not a recipe per se, but from work I recall taking honeydew, pureeing it, mixing in water, salt and pepper, and a little rice wine vinegar; doing the same with canteloupe; then pouring the two into a soup plate for a kind of yin-yang effect, topping with some thinned-out creme fraiche, a few curry-grilled shrimp, and pappadum chips.

Melon Soup is also nice with a little blob of lump crabmeat or shredded poached chicken in the center.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

One of my friends made this Chilled Cantaloupe Soup this weekend. Despite what the directions say, let it sit for at least 24 hours so the flavors have a chance to meld. It was very refreshing.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

This recipe for Soupe glacée de melon a la tomate off the Oliviers & Co web site is one of the best cold melon soups I have had. I have taken this soup to an egullet Heartland function and it was a major hit.

I chose to use cantaloup as my melon choice. To this recipe I added Verjus plus a very small amount of lemon juice for acid. To add to the soups floral notes I added some pink peppercorns and a drop of honey while cooking. I used roma tomatoes to the base of the soup and used a variety of heirloom tomatoes cut into concasée plus the olive oil I used to make the soup, and fleur de sel for garnish. Now that I think about it I may have used some green tomatoes along with the romas to add some brightness to the soup. Rresults are absolutely awesome especially if you use one of the quality olive oils sold by Oliviers & Co (I used an Andalusian variety).

Enjoy (while the melons and tomatoes are still at their height in flavor)

--Hobbes