• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Free Lunch!

birder53

I received this email from SHR today.

Hi Everyone:

Good news, the stage house restaurant is reopening for lunch in two week, and we have a great promotion to kick off our reopening. Please take a look at the promotion and all the details listed below and get ready to dial the phone this Wednesday morning at 10:00am.

As always you can not reply to this e-mail so call us at (908) 322-4224 x 3

who says there's

no such thing as a

free lunch?

here's how it works:

for the 10 weeks between september 20th and november 24th

1 day a week at random

lunch is on us!

the 10 mystery days will be selected at random prior to the start of the promotion,

so some weeks may not have a free day and some weeks may have 2 or 3 free lunches.

the 4 rules of the promotion:

1. you must arrive or have made reservation before noon on the selected day,

therefore, we suggest you make reservations.

2. the free lunch promotion will also apply to those who dine at the bar if they arrive before noon

or make reservations for the bar.

3. unfortunately the free lunch promotion does not include alcohol, sales tax (ABC law) or gratuity.

4. tell everyone you know about the promotion and your dining experience at the stage house restaurant!!

to kick off the promotion the first 100 people for each day, who reserve a table during the week we re-open (september 7th - 10th) will recieve free lunch. (thats right all four days)

free lunch does not include alcohol, tax or gratuity.

in order to give as many people as possible an opportunity to take advantage of the free lunch promotion, we are limiting reservations to 6 people or less

we will open the phones for reservation at 10:00 am on wednesday, august 25. so plan on calling early so you don't miss out, we expect to fill up quickly.

the stage house restaurant

366 park ave.

scotch plains, nj 07076

908-322-4224 x 3

Stage House Restaurant and Wine Bar is located at:

366 Park Avenue

Scotch Plains NJ 07076

Phone: 908.322.4224 Fax: 908.322.4225

Did you know that you can make reservations for Stage House Restaurant and Wine Bar at

www.OpenTable.comed this email today.

KathyM

JUST made a reservation for 6 on Tues 9/7...and was asked how I heard about the promo. He laughed when I told him it was on eG and said, "Great! Spread the word!" There are still openings on all four days...

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

Have a Noon reservation today...anyone else going? If so, we need to come up with a secret signal or something so we can say hi!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Four of us availed ourselves of this generous offer today at Noon. While I appreciate the generosity of the restaurant, I have to be honest--I'm glad it was on their dime. It was just okay. :hmmm:

The bottom line is that we were truly underwhelmed by the food, and outright shocked by how mediocre our waitress was. Overall, service was friendly, but certainly not efficient. When 3 requests are made for glasses of wine before they arrive, I think there are some basic issues to be worked out on the service end of things.

I’m sure that many will say "Why did you go on the first day they were open for lunch?" or "Well, what did you expect?" The answers to those questions are 1) Because that's when my schedule allowed and 2) A restaurant that resembled the web site I looked at.

I'll anxiously await reviews from other folks here, that's for sure!

Four of us availed ourselves of this generous offer today at Noon.  While I appreciate the generosity of the restaurant, I have to be honest--I'm glad it was on their dime.  It was just okay:hmmm:

The bottom line is that we were truly underwhelmed by the food, and outright shocked by how mediocre our waitress was.  Overall, service was friendly, but certainly not efficient.  When 3 requests are made for glasses of wine before they arrive, I think there are some basic issues to be worked out on the service end of things.

I’m sure that many will say "Why did you go on the first day they were open for lunch?" or "Well, what did you expect?"  The answers to those questions are 1) Because that's when my schedule allowed and 2) A restaurant that resembled the web site I looked at. 

I'll anxiously await reviews from other folks here, that's for sure!

Obviously, I'm not posting correctly...sorry!

Just wanted to respond to Curlz. Our group of four had just the opposite experience from yours. All raved about the food, presentation, and service. It couldn't have been better.

Our visitor from Buffalo really enjoyed her mussel appetizer, b-i-l said his trout salad was especially tasty, and my friend and I both enjoyed our salads with warm goat cheese.

We both had the tuna, done well as we like it, and it was perfect. "Best salmon I ever had" was the comment from my b-i-l, and our visitor enjoyed her burger.

Desserts were also superb...two chocolate cakes, one bread pudding, and I had sorbet. All excellent.

There was a bit of a time lag before taking our wine order, but that was really not a problem. We were in no hurry and enjoyed our leisurely lunch in a pleasant setting.

Looking forward to a return visit in the near future. Sorry your experience wasn't as pleasant as ours.

Sorry your experience wasn't as pleasant as ours.

Fwiw, we had a very pleasant lunch--but that didn't have much to do with the restaurant--it was because we were a fun group!

Did anyone go today?