• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coming Attractions

Bond Girl

With only a few weeks to fall, the NYC restaurant scene is starting to buzz. Here is what New Yorkers can expect when they get back in town:

BLT Fish

After the success BLT Steak, Laurent Tourondel is opening BLT Fish in the Flatiron neighborhood. The place will have the similar "Craft-like" concept as BLT Steak, except that it will be completely devoted to Fish and Seafood. For us downtowners, this may be the newest place to get our fix of Lobster Rolls and Fried Clams. Watch out for it in November 2004. By the way, if you that you discover you love BLT Fish. Laurent Tourondel is coming out with a new cook book called "Go Fish"

Sapa

If you love French-Vietnamese food but find Indochine too trendy or too passe (depending on who you are and who you talk to), then you can look forward to Sapa, another Flatiron restaurant named after the ancient Vietnamese city. Bought to you by the former Food and Beverage director of the Soho and Tribeca Grand, this will probably up your trendy factor to be seen in it. The ETA is October 2004.

Fornino

Those of you living in the Outer Boroughs will now smile smugly at the fact that your Manhattanite friends may have to come to your neighborhood to have Pizza. Michael Ayoub of Cucina in Park Slope will open Fornino in Williamsburg, serving brick oven pizzas. The draw here? He makes his own cheese, gorws his own vegetable toppings, and even blows his own glass elements. This definitely gives new definition to fresh food. A full menu of antipastos is also available. Hey Pizza Club, we'll be looking for a full report in Fall 2004.

BLT Fish

21 West 17th Street

New York, NY

Sapa

43 West 23rd Street

New York, NY

Fornino

187 Bedford Ave.

Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

(718)384-6004

Source: press release from Bullfrog and Baum

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

What about Cafe Gray?

Is this the appropriate place to ask if the rumors are indeed true that he's opening in a couple weeks?

Time past and time future

What might have been and what has been

Point to one end, which is always present.

- T.S. Eliot

What about Cafe Gray?

Is this the appropriate place to ask if the rumors are indeed true that he's opening in a couple weeks?

Andrea Strong's blog, the Strong Buzz, reports this week:

Jean Georges, Masa, and Thomas Keller are finally getting that downstairs neighbor they have been hearing about. Gray Kunz, the four star chef and creator of Lespinasse, will make his long awaited return to the New York dining scene, opening Café Gray—a sprawling tribute to the cafes of Vienna, Budapest and Prague—during the first week in September....

A feature I wrote on Gray will be in Time Out New York’s fall preview issue, hitting newsstands on September 9th. I hope you will check it out, if you can.

As the story's in Time Out New York, I'd assume the opening is for real this time.

Edited by oakapple (log)

• 3 weeks later...
what about Batali's new place?

Here is the scoop from New York Metro, Batali's new place Bistro Du Vent is expected to open in October. The chef there is David Pasternack from Esca. Bistro Du Vent is located at 411 west 42nd Street. Here is the link

Also much anticipated is Modern in the Museum of Modern Art-another jewel in the Danny Meyer empire. Gabriel Kreuther of former Atlas fame will head up the kitchen. Modern opens in late November.

source: NY Metro.com from September 13 issue

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Actually, I'm guessing the question wasn't about Bistro du Vent -- which seems like just another neighborhoody bistro but rather Batali's planned "white tablecloth" Italian restaurant (perhaps his attempt at a four-star place?) which will open in the Spring on the lower west side.

And don't forget the following:

SAM DE MARCO has closed FIRST, his 10-year-old restaurant at 87 First Avenue (Fifth Street). He will be the consulting chef at MOVIDA, a nightclub and lounge opening soon at 28 Seventh Avenue South (Leroy Street), and at PLATE, 264 Elizabeth Street (Houston Street), opening in October with a Chinese-Latino menu.

Bits and Pieces (Florence Fabricant) (from the NYTimes DIGEST update for Wednesday, 8 September 2004.)

Soba

Actually, I'm guessing the question wasn't about Bistro du Vent -- which seems like just another neighborhoody bistro but rather Batali's planned "white tablecloth" Italian restaurant (perhaps his attempt at a four-star place?) which will open in the Spring on the lower west side.

It is to be called Il Posto, I believe.

Beyond that, I know little.

Time past and time future

What might have been and what has been

Point to one end, which is always present.

- T.S. Eliot