• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Cake

NickV

My aunt has a great recipe that I lost and I've been trying to get it out of her again for awhile. I'll try harder. It was always my favorite at the family potluck as a child.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Here's a simple one from another rum company that's pretty good.

One box yellow cake mix

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 small package instant vanilla pudding

4 eggs

1/2 cup cold water

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup dark rum

Cake:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan. Mix all cake ingredients together for 3-4 minutes with electric mixer. Pour batter over nuts in pan. Bake about one hour or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool on rack for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto serving platter. Prick the top of cake all over with a skewer, then drizzle and brush glaze evenly over top and sides of cake.

Glaze:

1/4 pound butter

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

1/2 cup dark rum

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minute stirring constantly.

Stir in rum.

Edited by Matsu (log)

Just a hint. I make my rum cakes in a bundt pan. For the glaze I let the cake cool slightly in the pan, poke holes in what will eventually be the bottom of the cake and pour 3/4 of the glaze into the cake. Let the glaze soak in for a while, maybe 15 minutes, then turn the cake out onto a serving plate. Then brush the remaining 1/4 of the glaze onto the cake with a pastry brush. This technique ensures that most of the glaze gets soaked into the cake rather than oozing onto the plate.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Would you be willing to share the recipe? Please please please :unsure:

Yes of course. I have it a work.........will post tonight or tommarrow.

Just a quick note: If you baste your cake in the pan as Cusina does (I do too sometimes)........I find it best to first completely unmold that cake so theres no chance of it sticking in the pan. THEN- put it back in the pan and soak it.

I last made pound cake in the Spring (dividing the batter into 4 loaf pans, each about 3½- x 7-inches). After baking, allow the pound cake(s) to rest in the pan(s) for about 5 minutes; then, using a slender wooden skewer, perforate the top(s) all over w/ 1-inch holes. Immediately pour a liqueur-spiked simple syrup over the surface(s). Besides rum, you can flavour the syrup w/ Amaretto or Frangelico liqueur. Also try Orange, Raspberry, or Cherry flavours.

Alternatively, if you opt to have an added rum sensatiion, you may serve any cake you choose w/ an accompaniment of Rum Cream:

2 egg yolks

½ cup granulated sugar

2 cups heavy cream

1 ounce dark rum (such as Appleton Estate or Myers)

In bowl of stand mixer, blend the egg yolks & sugar; set aside. In medium saucepan, bring the cream and rum to a gentle simmer, and pour half of the hot liquid into the eggs-sugar mixture, beating vigorously. Pour this mixture back into the remaining cream, stirring quite vigorously in order to incorporate just to the point of thoroughness. Cook over moderate heat, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, 4-5 minutes. Strain the rum cream into a serving pitcher.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

This is my favorite rum cake recipe. I'm not sure where I got it from anymore I believe it might be from Pillsbury.

They call it "Rum Ring Cake":

2 c. ap flour

1 c. sugar

4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 c. milk

1/4 c. melted butter

1 tsp. vanilla

4 eggs

Mix wet ing. into dry. Bake 350F in a well greased bundt pan. After it's baked while it's still warm, remove from pan-then replace in pan. Pierce cake all over with a screwer and pour the following hot syrup on the warm cake. Cool in pan for about 15 min. then remove or it will stick in pan.

Soaking Syrup:

1 c. sugar

1 c. h20

1/4 c. rum

That's the same recipe I use, received from a co-worker when she brought it in for a birthday celebration. The only difference is that she added a fruit glaze to the top.

So if you want to fancy it up a bit:

GLAZE

1/2 cup apricot preserves

2 cups cut-up fresh fruit

In small saucepan, heat apricot preserves.

Press preserves through strainer into bowl to remove large apricot pieces.

Drizzle glaze over cooled cake.

Just before serving, fill center of cake with cut-up fruit.

Bolo di Rum

On the Dutch island of Curaçao, the word ‘bolo’ can describe either a pudding or a cake. This particular rum cake can be served w/ frosting, sprinkled w/ confectioners’ sugar, or accompanied by a sauce. But, in the Caribbean, it’s traditionally served unadorned. Although I've served it with my own mango ice cream!

4½ ounces sweet butter, softened

2 Tbsps plus 1½ cups all-purpose flour

1 cup granulated sugar (or golden caster would be a delicious substitute)

4 large eggs

2 ounces dark rum

1½ ounces freshly squeezed lime juice, strained

Zest of 1 lime

½ cup yellow cornmeal

2 tsps baking powder

Preheat your oven to 350° F. Spread ½ ounce of butter over bottom & sides of 8-inch springform. Dust pan evenly w/ 2 tbsps flour; tap out excess.

Cream remaining butter. Add the sugar, creaming until light in colour & fluffy in texture. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the rum, the lime juice, the zest, and continue to beat on low speed until the batter is smooth.

Sift together the dry ingredients, then add to the butter mixture ½ cup at a time. Mix until just incorporated. Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake about 50 minutes, or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Allow the cake to cool for a couple of hours before removing the sides of the pan.

Here's a simple one from another rum company that's pretty good.

One box yellow cake mix

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 small package instant vanilla pudding

4 eggs

1/2 cup cold water

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup dark rum

I know a cake mix on Egullet is probaoby sacreligious, but I love this cake, and so has any guest I have ever served it to. No one knows it is a mix unless you tell them.

I NEVER used a cake mix, thought they were unpaletable, until I had this cake.

It must be all that rum! :biggrin:

Life is short, eat dessert first

Store your version of this scruptious cake for a day or two to let the rum flavour mellow.

Cake:

6 oz. softened butter

1½ cups granulated sugar

4 large eggs

3 cups all-purpose flour

¼ tsp salt

4½ tsps baking powder

½ cup dark rum (I use Appleton Estate-Extra 12 yr.)

1 cup whole milk

1 cup Thompson raisins

1 cup chopped pecans

Syrup:

2 oz. butter, melted

2 fl. oz water

1 cup granulated sugar

¼ cup dark rum

Butter 10-inch heavy-guage tube pan; line w/ paper. Preheat oven to 350° F.

Cream butter & sugar on low speed for 10 mins. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.

Combine dry ingredients thoroughly. Add to butter mixture alternately w/ rum & milk, careful to mix only until batter is smooth. Stir in raisins & nuts.

Place halved pecans on bottom of the tube pan. Spread cake batter evenly over the nuts. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until tester come out clean. Turn the cake onto a wire rack to cool, before glazing.

To make glaze: In sm. saucepan, combine butter, & sugar. Place over moderate flame and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add the rum. Using a skewer, pierce holes all over top of the cake. Drizzle the syrup over until it is all absorbed. Store in a sealed container at room temp. Serve w/ vanilla bean ice cream and good Columbian coffee.