• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where are your favorite places to shop in Chicago?

Anko

My wife and I are just about to embark on a week-long vacation in Chicago. She's already filled our itinerary with enough shopping hot-spots to make me consider a nice, relaxing bout of pneumonia. Please, help me balance the scales! What stores can I drag her through while I consider seven different types of stockpot? I already have frequented the chains like Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma; I'm looking for stores of more of the specialty/independent variety, or even huge restaurant supply stores. Any help would be appreciated.

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

Troy McClure, hosting the film, The Meat Council Presents: Meat and You - Partners in Freedom

Here are a couple of places you may want to visit for cookware and food shopping:

Edward Don Restaurant Supply Outlet

2525 N. Elston Ave

Chicago, IL 60647

Phone: (773) 489-7739

The Spice House

1512 N. Wells St

Chicago, IL 60610

Phone: (312) 274-0378

Fox & Obel Food Market

401 E. Illinois St

Chicago, IL 60611

Phone: (312) 410-7301

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I've been wondering the same thing for a while now...........Williams-Sonoma is just too expensive.

edit- spelling

Edited by bentherebfor (log)

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

My wife and I are just about to embark on a week-long vacation in Chicago. She's already filled our itinerary with enough shopping hot-spots to make me consider a nice, relaxing bout of pneumonia. Please, help me balance the scales! What stores can I drag her through while I consider seven different types of stockpot? I already have frequented the chains like Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma; I'm looking for stores of more of the specialty/independent variety, or even huge restaurant supply stores. Any help would be appreciated.

What area of the city will you be in? There are lots of places that will sell retail some more than others. Is there something you are looking for? I might have some places for you to check out.

Living hard will take its toll...

Edward Don, as mentioned by ronnie, is my favorite.  I would also recommend Northwestern Cutlery. They are primarily a cutlery shop but they also have an impressive selection of kitchen supplies and gadgets.

Northwestern Cutlery

810 W. Lake St.,

888-248-4449

Thanks eatchicago. Isn't this the place where many industry professionals in town bring their blades for sharpening?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Isn't this the place where many industry professionals in town bring their blades for sharpening?

Not only pros, but average joes like myself. I have only 2 knives that I use in the kitchen and I take them both to NW Cutlery once a year for a good sharpening. They do it for a couple bucks, while you wait. Also, they carry "Mystery Oil" which my butcher block just loves.

Ditto on what eatchicago said - I've been having my knives sharpened there for a couple years, and they don't flinch too visibly at the quality of knives I bring in. :)

Also amazing is their back room of knives - cheap cleavers, resharpened junk knives, anything you could possible need for a slasher flick on a budget.

--adoxograph

Isn't this the place where many industry professionals in town bring their blades for sharpening?

Not only pros, but average joes like myself. I have only 2 knives that I use in the kitchen and I take them both to NW Cutlery once a year for a good sharpening. They do it for a couple bucks, while you wait. Also, they carry "Mystery Oil" which my butcher block just loves.

Ooh! How much do they charge??

They charge around $3.00 a knife, they will charge more if the knife is damaged and they really have to work on it.

I think they take too much off when they are sharpening on the wheel for chef knives and the like.

We did a test and I had four of my cooks take a brand new cheap 10" chef's knife there over the course of 4 months, 10 visits, by the 10th visit it looked like a slicer.

Don't get me wrong it was razor sharp and we have had even worse results with a sharpening company.

I know its not fair to do that especially with cheap metals needing additional grinding but I was trying to prove a point to my cooks about their expensive knives and why they need to care for them themselves.

I will say that I do take serrated knives there, they charge by the inch (1.50/inch I'm guessing) and they do put an incredible edge on them and re-serrate them. The bread knife is usually sharper than when you bought it. I will give them props for the serrated blades.

It is a candy store for professionals and passionate home cooks alike. I think their customer service has dropped off in the past 7 years, since they've gone on-line. Some of their staff is not as knowledgeable as they should be.

The worst thing about NW Cutlery is that you can never leave without being at least a $100 lighter. :laugh:

Patrick Sheerin

I have nothing but good things to say about NW Cutlery. I used to go to them all the time while still living in Chicago (on my way to the meat district!), and still do business with them online now (just yesterday, as a matter of fact) for my restaurant. I can't speak for their in-house service anymore, but they have always done right by me.

Fox & Obel was my candy store while in Chicago; that, and Paulina Meat Market.

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I think they take too much off when they are sharpening on the wheel for chef knives and the like.

We did a test and I had four of my cooks take a brand new cheap 10" chef's knife there over the course of 4 months, 10 visits, by the 10th visit it looked like a slicer.

Youch. See, this is exactly what I am worried about. I have a Kai santoku knife I got as a gift. The blade is Damascus steel and really distinctive looking, really pretty. It is about as nice a knife as I could ever afford without getting into custom stuff. I also have a Chef's Choice electric sharpener (again, a gift) which I have been really loathe to use on it. While the latter does a good job of sharpening, I always feel like it is taking too much off the blade, and I just don't have enough control over it, even though I try to be really careful. With my WMF knife (I think made by same as Wusthof, only less expensive because of the name), I feel bad but not so bad that I don't sharpen it. But with this other one, ack! I realize my blade's steel is probably better quality and I would be taking it only once a year, but I think a knife should last more than a decade. Am I being naive?

I read the eG course on knife sharpening (actually, that is how I found eG) but I just haven't been able to muster up the courage to try sharpening a knife by hand, without the crutch of an angle guide :sad:

I should probably just bite the bullet, eh? I've been waiting until its time to replace the WMF, then practice on it, poor thing.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

I have a Kai santoku knife I got as a gift. The blade is Damascus steel and really distinctive looking, really pretty.

That's not a knife, it is an extension of you. You need to be the one to take care of it. Re-read the thread on knife sharpening and then look at the Korin Homepage

you'll end up spending a $150 on various stones with different grits but it is a life long pursuit caring for good steel.

I would definitely by a crap knife to practice with first.

I realize my blade's steel is probably better quality and I would be taking it only once a year, but I think a knife should last more than a decade. Am I being naive?

Knives like that are built to last a long time, WITH PROPER CARE. So do your homework first, practice with the other knives (especially with the different grits) and then slowly ease your way into sharpening that one.

Patrick Sheerin

Thanks for everybody's suggestions. I'm definitely hitting the cutlery store; I had no idea where to go for knife sharpening until now. A visit to Fox & Obel's will go nicely right before the free outdoor concert @ Millenium Park on Friday night. Thanks again!

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

Troy McClure, hosting the film, The Meat Council Presents: Meat and You - Partners in Freedom

• 2 years later...
"Edward Don has closed."

As has the Chicago Chef's Catalog outlet.

What other places can you recommend? I've gotten good equipment and larger items on Restaurant row (ie Gold Brothers at 1140 W Madison). I'm looking for bus tubs and bulk coconut oil for soap making. Any suggestions?

There's a place called Krazney's (sp) on Elston Avenue, just a few blocks north of Diversey.

There was another restaurant supply outlet on Milwaukee, by Grand, I believe (maybe another Krazney's, maybe closed).

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you