• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

restaurants in aix-en-provence and avignon, quick

eatstrong

Best in Aix is Clos Violette, but try to get out - 45mins by car - to Oustau Beaumaniere in Les Baux.

3* in an idyllic situation

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Yes, Calissons d'Aix are unique and wonderful! I think the secret ingredient is melon paste....

Our favorite place to buy them is Béchard, on 12 Cours Mirabeau. Love the tins in the same shape as the Calissons. While you are there, look in the next block for the apartment building where the sculpture of two men is "holding up" the entrance. My favorite photo of Aix!!

I always think of calissons as an almond paste confection, but there's more melon than almond and at least one recipe calls for 40% almonds to 60% fruit and syrup. The fruit being mostly melon confit. Here's a list of firms in Aix that make calissons. Roy René is probably the largest manufacturer and the one whose product you will most likely find in pastry shops all over France. Béchard, who has the only shop on the Cours Mirabeau, would have been the last place I bought them. As I recall it was quite a nice little shop with plenty of other distractions.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.