• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dish or Nectar?

jtphjl

We will be in DC for a Show at the Kennedy Center - On this site I have read great reviews about Nectar- the show starts at 8:00 - (a Friday night) We will be staying at the River Inn, so DISH is easy, but which is better for an early dinner?

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Haven't been to Dish, but Nectar is one of my ten favorite DC restaurants. And definitely shouldn;t be missed. Chef Jamison Blakenship and Sous-chef Alex Lo are two of the most talented chefs around and the wine list is unique (in addition, every wine they have is available by the glass, half-bottle and full bottle). The service is impeccable, although a little pretentious. I'd say that that pretentiousness is my only gripe. But even my dad -- a jeans and steak kind of guy -- loved Nectar. Go there -- its only a block away from The River Inn and you will love it.

Ps. Alex's soups are to die for...:rolleyes: Try whichever one is on the menu in October. Hopefully they will put the Butternut (or pumpkin ?) puree with crispy sweetbreads back on this fall... hint hint.:wink: :wink:

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

Run -- do not walk -- to make reservations at Nectar for whichever night you plan to be in town. Ate there last Friday. Pretty slow (end of August/summer doldrums) and Jarad was in charge of the bar. Had an extraordinary wild Irish salmon fillet served on bed of mixed wild fresh mushrooms. Must be sampled while supplies last! After topping off the numerous glasses of wine I consumed with a glass of both of the Grappas on hand, I made the serious mistake of stopping off at Harry's Tap Room where the bar was wall-to-wall and SRO. Don't remember much of the trip home afterwards, but it seems I made it back ok (must have taken a cab -- hope I didn't overtip :unsure: ).

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I am marking my calendar now, Nectar takes reservations 28 days in advance!

Thanks for the insight!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Thanks for the insight!

Jan

- Elaine Boosler

When we went to the Kennedy Center, we went to Nectar for dinner (which was easily one of the best meals in DC), saw our show (at 7:30), and then came back afterwards for desserts (the creme brulee is a MUST!!) and coffee.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Thanks for the insight!

Jan

You will NOT be disappointed! Look forward to your ecstatic reporting on your dining experience.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

• 1 month later...

Nectar it was!

I marked my calendar and on the 18th day before our reservation, I was on the telephone! Ahhhhhhhhhhh

So I began (post bread course...when that basket assortment was carried off I knew I had just lost a good friend) with the crab and my husband had the tuna we agreed to switch half way and I think I actually have black and blues from the nudges reminding me to switch...I didn't care I was sipping a delightful fruity Schmitt Kinder from the sparkling list... Hans had ordered the longest white wine name he could find just to prove he could still speak the language...ahh but switch provided me with the most tender vibrant quads of fresh tuna ...

OK Main course I had the Char, a mild fish filet perched high above a combination that included a thin baccon, Hans had the Halibut and now that I think of it... hmm there was no switching...there were no complaints and those of you who recommended Nectar over Dish are not surprised!

Of course we stuffed in dessert and then waddled over to see On Golden Pond without Leslie Uggams, who cared... Hans was still licking his lips from warm fruit and pound cake and me, the pecan pie -- there was more wine chosen with help and the show, the Night, a delicious blurr and I honestly wonder why did I ever leave DC....

Thank you all again!

- Elaine Boosler