• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sparkling Shiraz

carswell

I was aware of slightly fizzy French and Italian Reds; but, apparently the Australians (and some Californians) have gotten it into their heads to add fizz to some fairly serious red wines.

Anyone tried these or have opinions?

"The best Australian sparkling red wines can be astonishing to Americans who expect grape soda pop. First of all, they're dry. And they're not frothy lightweights. They have the character of the varietal from which they're made -- most often Shiraz -- and also the terroir where they're grown. They can be earthy, rich and complex, with long finishes, yet the bubbles make them more food-friendly than a still wine made from the same grapes."

Yes I have, but don't go cheap on the sparkling Shiraz: the higher-end stuff like the Elderton Sparkling Shiraz is quite the experience and very different cold and warm. This was discussed earlier but I haven't had time to dig up the thread.

I had one from d'Arrenberg, I think, last year and although it was tasty it didn't excite me as much as it did others in the room.

Mind you I'm not a huge bubble kind of guy, except Salon. Now that is a fine wine.

Hard to find though. In my market antways.

slowfood/slowwine

• 9 months later...

I realize this is an oldish thread.

I have enjoyed reading this thread and Reds in the 'fridge.

I found these threads because I had an OK lambrusco recently at Aroma (K&W). I realized with the temperatures warming up that a better example might be wonderful on a warm spring evening. Does anyone have any more to say about sparking shiraz? ...and does anyone have any suggestions for Sparkling Red Italian?

I'm a big fan of sparkling Shiraz. We usually have it at Xmas with the turkey, roast kamb, and duck. We enjoy it also during the summer with anything of the bbq. These wines may seem a curiousity to many North Americans but they are a truly unique tasting experience. We enjoy Fox Creek, E&E, and the Seppelt. Serve them cold in a flute and enjoy :biggrin:

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver, Canada

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

When I was invited to tour the vineyards of Australia, the best Sparkling Black Shiraz was reputed to be from Rockford in Barossa Valley. It sells out immediately at the vineyard and is not exported. I did get to taste the next vintage which was outstanding while at the cellar door and then scoured every wine shop in Adelaide and Sydney until a bottle was unearthed. It was not cheap and none of the others I have tasted have come close in quality. It is resting in my cave until an appropriate time to celebrate.

I was told by several sommeliers in Sydney that it was the best and saw it on the list at Tetsurya and Luke Magnan's restaurants.