• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to shop for Kitchen Supplies in Sydney

I like Peters of Kensington for big budget, higher end items (knives, good pots etc) but I really want to discover a place that has middle price, no-nonsense high quality wares. Stuff like pots & pans that can take a beating or miscellaneous bits of kitchen doodads. What are some of the places you've found?

PS: The Kitchen Supply store on George St is rubbish, old, moulding stock at ridiculous prices. I found a Lodge Pro Logic pan there selling for $90 when Amazon.com has it for $16 USD :o.

PS: I am a guy.

It's sometimes a bit random, and best if you can get there in an off time when it's quiet as the store is totally claustraphobic, but I like Victoria's Basement in the Queen Victoria Building. Also, once you're in that part of town, it's a short walk to Chinatown where you can find all sorts of useful (and cheap) kitchen gear. Also, I just posted on the Mortar and Pestle thread about my new mortar and pestle - a huge granite job that cost $AUS36 in the fantastic Lucky Thai Grocery on Campbell St (just up from the Capitol Theatre).

Places we like are:

The essential ingredient in camperdown.

Accoutrement in Mosman

Victorias Basement in the QVB

Kitchen Kapers in Crows Nest

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
I know the Sydney is the center of the universe but what about Melbourne?

This forum mostly avoids cheap Sydney-Melbourne jibes, so as your first post you probably don't need to contribute one, eh? This particular thread is, after all, specifically asking about Sydney shops.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

I usually go to chefs warehouse or essential ingredient (which is now in Crows Nest) for basics. For frou-frou kitchenware (good quality, good looks, but a bit more expensive), I like Accoutrement in Mosman.

A heads up for any non industry people:

When you are shopping at any sort of commercially orientated kitchen supply shop, ask them if they have "industry discount" (they all do).

Tell them you are a dish pig at some restaurant or you own some other restaurant (make one up even) and you'll cop around 10% at most places.

Sydney:

Chefs Warehouse 111 Albion street

The Hospitality Store 191 Parramatta Road, Camperdown

Melbourne:

Whilst in Melbourne recently I found this awesome little place, excellent selection of knives. Can't remember what it was called but it was on Elizabeth Street right near here: http://www.outregallery.com/

Any Melbournians able to remind me of the name?

Also Essential Ingredient in Prahan Market was good. Great book selection for any other cook book freaks out there.

Off topic but best Cook Book junkie supply in Australia is: http://www.booksforcooks.com.au/

CHEF JOBS UPDATE - September 07 !!

Latest global Chef jobs listing and news now available!

Take a look online here:

http://www.hostec.com.au/newsletters/chef/sep07/

Melbourne:

Whilst in Melbourne recently I found this awesome little place, excellent selection of knives. Can't remember what it was called but it was on Elizabeth Street right near here: http://www.outregallery.com/

Any Melbournians able to remind me of the name?

That would be Cuisine World. Further up towards the Queen Victoria Markets is London and American Stores. Service at both can be less than friendly at times, but the latter seems less snooty. There's also Chef's Hat (http://www.chefshat.com.au/ in South Melbourne. I think there's another supplier in South Melbourne and one on Nicholson Street in Carlton/Brunswick.

But my favourite place is the cookware shop in the Queen Vic Markets: one of the permanent shops in "F shed" (the lane of fixed shops with a mix of clothing, hardware, hot food and things), towards the Peel Street end of the lane.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

• 7 months later...