• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Los Angeles area

mrsadm

I will be visiting the Anaheim Convention Center next week and, since I live in a rural area in the northeast, I am interested in finding a good shop for cookware. I can find Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma over the net, but I wonder if there is a place that those of you who live in the area could recommend? Is there anyplace that carries interesting stuff like a Mexican molcajete?

thanks!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Surfas, in Culver City, is in the L.A. area, but about an hour from Anaheim. It is a wonderland of spices, sauces and edible goodies, as well as well-priced tools and toys. (They had molcajetes , and also tortilla presses, last time I was there...as well as lots of woks and wok accessories, paella pans in many sizes, and lots of other fun stuff.)

Their chief business is restaurant design and supply, but don't let that put you off, as lots of their stuff is great for home cooks.

Their website seems to be down at the moment (or at least, I can't seem to link to it) but I believe it is www.surfasonline.com (it's not a great site, but will give you the address and phone, and maybe driving directions.)

Happy shopping!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

One of my favorite cooking stores in the South Bay area is CookinStuff. They carry just about everything. Address is 22217 Palos Verdes Blvd. in Torrance. They are on the corner of Sepulveda and Palos Verdes Blvd. Website is www.cookinstuff.com

I agree cookin stuff is awesome...but its prettty expensive, but I guess if you gotta have something and they have it....its gonna cost you. On the other hand I just got 2 of the Jamie Oliver T-Fal pans on sale yesterday at Linen and things...Nice pans too!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Here's another nod for Cookinstuff if you happen to be in the South Bay...they may not be the cheapest, but they tend to run a lot of coupons in the local flyers. I don't know about the Anaheim/Orange County area, though.

So, where are you going to eat when you're in So. Cal???

I gotta admit, when I lived a mile away from Cookinstuff, I STILL went to Surfas. Cookinstuff was just the local place to get things for me and Surfas was where I went for specialty cookware.

I think, though, because mrsadm is looking for a molcajete, some of the Hispanic markets would be a better place to look. Although it might be easier to simply mail order it instead of trying to carry something so heavy with you during travelling!

As much as I love Surfas, that's quite a drive from Anaheim for a molcajete. There should be someplace much closer if that's the only thing you're looking for. I'll try to get a name of a store that's closer for you.

Internet might be a good option also, but the shipping would probably cost as much or more than the item.

However, if you are going for the overall food/equipment shopping, Surfas would probably be worth it. I can easily spend an hour or two there, and I'm there 2 or 3 times a month.

I will be visiting the Anaheim Convention Center next week and, since I live in a rural area in the northeast, I am interested in finding a good shop for cookware. I can find Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma over the net, but I wonder if there is a place that those of you who live in the area could recommend? Is there anyplace that carries interesting stuff like a Mexican molcajete?

thanks!

Anaheim is pretty close to Santa Ana, which is the epicenter of Mexican stuff in OC. You can get a mocajete for about $6-7 at practically any Mexican market here. One you can try is Northgate Gonzalez Market (if you search on Google you might try searching on "Northgate Santa Ana")

It's on Harbor and I think First (1st?).

My parents like Superior Market, but I forget what the street is.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I'm getting my map out now to plan routes to these places.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"