• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mela

Suvir Saran

Has anyone been to Mela in Ridgewood?

i've had take-out from Mela.  it didn't come across as notable, but in all fairness i wasn't dining at the restaurant...and it was superbowl sunday, so i was a bit pre-occupied.  do you know anything about it?  from what i've seen, it's a pretty restaurant.

Do you live near Mela Tommy?  Maybe you should give it a try.

I would love to know what you think.

It is attractive.  Or at least was when I was there last, several years back.

They had the best Samosas I had eaten in the US at any restaurant.

Also liked their Chaat Papri ( a street food dish).

I keep coming back to street food all the time. :wink:

Do you live near Mela Tommy?  Maybe you should give it a try.

I would love to know what you think.

It is attractive.  Or at least was when I was there last, several years back.

They had the best Samosas I had eaten in the US at any restaurant.

Also liked their Chaat Papri ( a street food dish).

I keep coming back to street food all the time. :wink:

i shall give it a try on your recommendation.  it is BYO, as far as i know, and that's right up my alley!  

so what wine would you drink at a place like Mela? i generally drink sweeter whites with indian food (reisling, gewurtz), but i always think that i should be ordering something like cabernet franc or even a fruity zin, although those two are almost completely different.  hell, beer usually works just fine.  eck, i'm confused again. :confused:

You seem to know just what to do.  Try Mela.  Tell me what you think of the Samosas.  They used to be very good.

Ask for the owner Bali.  And if he is there, tell him you heard about Mela from me and that I had said how good the Samosas are.

Maybe that would encourage him to make sure t hey are maintained at that level of a few years back.

Tommy, they were so good that a NYC food critic, my partner, a Bollywood celebrity friend of ours, and I, hired a stretch Limo and went to Mela.

They did review Mela and we also saw the movie with our friend's costumes during the car ride, for which he won the best-designer award in NYC at Bollywood Awards that year.  The trip was Kitsch and was a first for this critic to make in NJ for reviewing.  We had fun. Felt tacky in some ways.. But felt we had been very Holly/Bollywood.

Mela was very promising then.  Not sure how t hey have maintained it.

But do give us your feedback.

I like sweeter whites both you mention are good.  I am also able to enjoy Pinot Grigios with Indian food.  

Beer is always safe.  Champagne can be good.

Keep us posted.  I want to hear what the Smart Alec- Tommy has to say. :biggrin: