• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

trip to France

Patrice X

I think you described it right after all. My French friends often talk about "crise de foie" without ever mentioning any specific symptoms. It really is a drag to have to raise the surrender flag in Europe. I can only recall one time in Turin in about 1980 when I just couldn't eat. I think it was a combination of exhaustion and a minor stomach disorder. I don't think I can do the doubleheaders of my youth when it would be lunch at one three-star and dinner at another, or lunch and dinner at one. Even when I swore I would have a light lunch so I would have a good appetite for dinner, I would still overdue it at noontime. That Southwest cuisine, though, is challenging to the disgestive system, which is why I have  only once or twice ventured beyond Eugenie-les-Bains. Where in Paris will you go?

We've only made three reservations for our six days in Paris. We started making reservations and then changed our arival date. Nevertheless, so far we've booked Hélelen Darroze's more informal Salon, Petrossian and Ducasse for the big treat. Some favorite bistros and some target places may now be impossible, but we've had last minute luck in the past. I never know my mood on arrival and then that will leave All-Saints day and Sunday. Neither are exactly good days to be stuck without a reservation. If worse comes to worse I'll spend a day eating chocolate.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi from France,  I'm now in Bordeaux.  Fro lunch today we will go to Jean-Marie Amat's le ST-James.  We had 2 incredible meals in San sebastian. Both of them were at Matin Berasategui restaurants.  Very imaginative food with fantastic flavors.In 3 days I will be in Paris: Gagnaire, Ducasse and Passard...

Patrice Demers

Hi from France,  I'm now in Bordeaux.  Fro lunch today we will go to Jean-Marie Amat's le ST-James.  We had 2 incredible meals in San sebastian. Both of them were at Matin Berasategui restaurants.  Very imaginative food with fantastic flavors.In 3 days I will be in Paris: Gagnaire, Ducasse and Passard...

Patrice Demers