• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the last shoe has finally dropped! red eye gravy

Tell him, tryska that you've got our permission to doctor his lyin' tongue up. Jaymes is absolutely authentic, and we used to have some knock-down, drag-outs when it came to any marrows.

oh i sorted him out mabelline - altho i did stretch the truth and tell him it was called red-eye cuz it had coffee in it. i told him without the coffee it's jsut plain old ham gravy. he thought about that for a minute and then dropped the subject. :raz:

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely nothing like good red-eyed gravy to dress up grits. You knew it was Sunday, when my dad fried up ham slices and made red-eyed gravy. These were hams he cured himself, rubbed down in salt, pepper, and saltpeter, then placed in a brown paper sack and hung in the barn. He used to delight in telling people, "there's only two places you can get country ham these days." Anyone care to guess where those two places are?

He used to delight in telling people, "there's only two places you can get country ham these days." Anyone care to guess where those two places are?

Newsom's Country Hams ... might this be one of them? :rolleyes: but I am betting that this really is awaiting the punchline of a joke .... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

How right you are Gifted. Where are those two places? Why, on either side of a hog's a*s!

I knew there was a "hidden punchline" just waiting to escape! Thanks for the followup details because now I will not have to spend any more anxiety-filled, sleepless nights!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 1 month later...

I use the dripping from my country ham that I roast with cloves and stronge old coffee. I add ketchup and a dash of cayenne pepper, simmer till thickens. I have a pot of this in the refrigerator always, and a ziplock bag in the freezer. My mother, from Louisville, taught me that this and bacon drippin' are always near the stove. Red-eye is great on pan-fried rabbit, but my son would eat it on his ceral if I would let him.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

Hmm, being a good Yankee, I don't typically eat grits.

But, being a member of the US Army, there always seems to be some in the dining halls. Perhaps red eye gravy would make that *ahem* stuff edible.

Sorry, kids, I just don't understand grits.

Red-eye gravy, though, made with honest-to-goodness ham... wow. Old, cold, strong coffee is imperative to make it. No question about it. There's magic in that there old pot.

Red eye gravy is quite respectable on wild pheasant.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.