• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
ronnie_suburban

The Alinea Project - General Discussion

All the best to you and your crew tonight, chefG!!!

Hope you have a ball.

Alinea's foyer.

gallery_15603_1194_11553.jpg

Where do we post for comments on the restaurant from a diners perspective?

Is this the best place?

breathttaking pic, can't wait to see some more.

. . . Where do we post for comments on the restaurant from a diners perspective?

Is this the best place?

Now that it's opened, please post about your experiences at Alinea here.

=R=

Where do we post for comments on the restaurant from a diners perspective?

Is this the best place?

Dude, where are those comments (and pics hopefully). I'm dying here!!! :wacko:

Agreed! The foyer pic is far too tasty an amuse!

Dude, where are those comments (and pics hopefully).  I'm dying here!!!  :wacko:
Please bear with me. I should have an in-depth account in a few hours (read. I am at work). Here is another image to tie you over until then.

Alinea's main stair.

gallery_15603_1194_4271.jpg

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Fabio
      Last year I had dinner at Belcanto in Lisbon and one of the dishes featured a "tomato water snow" or "tomato water cloud" (translated from the original Portuguese: "Nuvem/neve de agua de tomate") that I'm trying to replicate without success. Imagine a thick and solid foam of tomato water that immediately liquefies when you put in your mouth. The cloud was atop smoked fish and olive oil was drizzled over it.

I whipped a mixture of tomato water and albumin powder (2 tsp albumin, 2tbsp tomato water) along with a pinch of cream of tartar, getting to the stiff peaks point after some effort. Trying to dehidrate the foam even as low as 150F didn't work; the foam collapsed. I then tried the savory meringue approach with some sugar and salt. The result was indeed a meringue that tasted like tomato but completely different from what I had at Belcanto. What am I missing? I've attached a photo of the dish so you can see what the cloud looks like.

Thanks!

• By johnathanlee
      Recently I had the unforgettable experience of dining at Andoni Luis Adurizis’s restaurant, Mugaritz and had to buy one of his cookbooks, "Mugaritz".  One of his many innovative recipes is “Edible Stones”.  This makes use of kaolin, an edible clay sometimes sold as “Agalita”.  A slurry is made using Agalita and Lactose to which is added food colouring.  Boiled baby potatoes are skewered, dipped, and allowed to dry in the oven.  They are served with real rocks to maximize what has been described as the culinary equivalent of  trompe-l'œil. Guests of course are not to see the process or the skewered potatoes drying so as not to ruin the surprise. I have attached some pictures showing my results which, although visually not exactly like the real stones, were texturally and by weight,  reasonably convincing. 

Now that I have served them at a dinner party, I am left with a large amount of Agalita!  I am hoping there are some modernist chefs out there with more ideas for my remaining Kaolin.

• By ProfessionalHobbit
      I had completely forgotten about our dinner there in December. 

Anyone who is a serious eater here on eGullet needs to come here soon. Highly recommended. @MetsFan5 - here is one place you might love over Gary Danko. You too @rancho_gordo.

I'll let the pix speak for themselves...

Horchata - Koshihikari rice, almonds, black cardamom, cinnamon.

Scallop chicharrón, scallop ceviche, crème fraîche.

Jicama empanada, shiso, pumpkin, salmon roe.

Smoked mushroom taco with pickled wild mushrooms.

Dungeness crab tostada, sour orange segments, sour orange-habanero salsa, Castelfranco radicchio, tarragon.

Pineapple guava sorbet

Fuyu persimmon, habanero honey, tarragon

Tasmanian trout ceviche, dashi, Granny Smith apple

Aguachile, parsnip, red bell pepper

Black bean tamales steamed in banana leaves, with salsa on the side

Smoked squab broth, pomegranate seeds, cilantro flowers

Tres frijoles with sturgeon caviar, shallots and edible gold leaf

Black cod, salsa verde, green grapes

Wagyu beef, pickled onion

Smoked squab breast served with spiced cranberry sauce, quince simmered in cranberry juice, pickled Japanese turnips and charred scallion, and sourdough flour tortillas

Yes, it's the same squab from which the broth was made.

And now the desserts:

Foie gras churro, with foie gras mousse, cinnamon sugar, served with hot milk chocolate infused with cinnamon, Lustau sherry and coffee.

By the time I remembered to take a pic, I'd eaten half of the churro. Dunk the churro into the chocolate.

Dulce de leche spooned atop pear sorbet with chunks of Asian pear, macadamia nut butter

Pecan ice cream, candied pecans, shortbread cookie, apples, clarified butter

The cookie was on top of the apples. Break the cookie and spoon everything over.

Cherry extract digestif, vermouth, sweet Mexican lime

We'll definitely return. I'm an instant fan.

Prepaid tix were $230 per person, plus there were additional charges due to wine pairings. It's worth every cent you'll spend.

Californios
      3115 22nd Street (South Van Ness)
      Mission District

• By benjamin163
      Hello,
      I love cooking my pulses and beans and have used a pressure cooker, slow cooker and top stove to do so.
      However, the results often vary due to my carelessness.
      I enjoy the results of sous vide and wonder whether cooking beans and pulses sous vide would make them deliciously tender without falling apart and going mushy.
      I have looked up a few recipes but the temperatures vary enormously.
      I'm wondering if there's a more scientific approach. Like, at what temperature do the walls of a pulse break down without breaking apart? 
      And does the amount of water the pulses are steeped in matter?
      I'm gathering that pre-soaking is no longer the necessity it once seemed.
      So I'd love an understanding of the optimum temperature to get fluffy, unctuous beans without the mush.
      Any help or opinions greatly received.
    • By ElsieD
      I got an e-mail this morning about the Modernist team's next project - pizza! 

Modernist Pizza is Underway!
      After taking on the world of bread, we’re thrilled to announce the topic of our next book: pizza. Modernist Pizza will explore the science, history, equipment, technology, and people that have made pizza so beloved.

Authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya, with the Modernist Cuisine team, are currently at work conducting extensive research and testing long-held pizza-making beliefs; this quest for knowledge has already taken them to cities across the United States, Italy, and beyond. The result of their work will be a multivolume cookbook that includes both traditional and innovative recipes for pizzas found around the globe along with techniques that will help you make pizza the way you like it.

Modernist Pizza is in its early stages, and although we’ve begun to dig in, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Although we can’t guarantee when it will arrive at your door just yet, we can promise that this book will deliver the complete story of pizza as it’s never been told before.

In the meantime, we would love to hear from you as we continue to research pizza from around the world. Contact pizza@modernistcuisine.com to tell us about your favorite pizzerias and their pizza. Connect with us on social media to get all the latest Modernist Pizza updates.