• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liverwurst

NulloModo

I may have mentioned it before, but I think I get the prize for most revolting liverwurst creation.    Newly married, rather empty fridge one night -> liverwurst pizza.    Sawdust texture and funky taste vied for "which is most vile" title.    It has become a 60 year old joke that we use as a standard of how bad a plate can be.    I've never surpassed it as a low point.

• Haha 6

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 11:28 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Here's the link in case anyone else wants to look: https://www.cupofzest.com/bacon-wrapped-liverwurst-sliders/  It appeared on that blog in Aug 2016.

That link takes me to a "404 page not found" notice. I can go to the Home page and see the website is still alive, but even a search doesn't turn up that particular recipe. I might be willing to try that one, if I can see what she does. Got any more clues?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That link takes me to a "404 page not found" notice. I can go to the Home page and see the website is still alive, but even a search doesn't turn up that particular recipe. I might be willing to try that one, if I can see what she does. Got any more clues?

I'd consider trying that one, too!
To find it, I went to the wayback machine, entered that link and chose a date in Sept 2106 to view an archived version of the page. If that doesn’t work for you, let me know and I can send you the screen cap that I saved. 

She credits the recipe to a 1952 pamphlet, “Meat Recipes You'll Talk About” produced by the National Livestock & Meat Board, Chicago and apparently distributed through local butchers or meat sellers, and made some minor adjustments. 

• Thanks 2

I need to express my utter surprise on this whole subject: as a German I do not fully grasp the necessity to augment a slice of sourdough rye, buttered and topped with a thick smear of Leberwurst with anything …

I understand there might be some things that could complement a liver product (such as fried apples, caramelized onions, mango chutney), but only if the Leberwurst lacks something from the beginning …

I think I buy some tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

but only if the Leberwurst lacks something from the beginning …

And that may well be the reason. For myself I could not imagine eating it without a little something something. I’m happy with onions, raw or cooked, tomatoes, or pickled beets. Perhaps if I were introduced to a German version of leberwurst I too you might consider this a criminal act. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I need to express my utter surprise on this whole subject: as a German I do not fully grasp the necessity to augment a slice of sourdough rye, buttered and topped with a thick smear of Leberwurst with anything …

I understand there might be some things that could complement a liver product (such as fried apples, caramelized onions, mango chutney), but only if the Leberwurst lacks something from the beginning …

I think I buy some tomorrow.

You can blame me for the direction of the discussion.  I bought myself a jar of liverwurst from my farmers market German sausage peeps.  Tried it with the some of the accoutrement previously mentioned in this thread and quite liked it.  For me, even on sourdough rye, the richness calls for an acidic condiment of some sort - mustard, or something pickle-y and the chewy bread and smooth sausage benefits from the crispness of those pickles or fresh onions.  Like @Anna N, perhaps I would not feel the same if I'd had proper German Leberwurst or maybe I just have no taste!

Having enjoyed the basics, I was curious if there were other things I should try with the jar in my fridge and I decided to share what I found, some of it quite regrettable.  I apologize for offending purists who know much more than I do!

• Like 3