• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liverwurst

NulloModo

Actually, when I Was picking up mine at the grocery today, I saw that they had Hatfield brand Low-Salt liverwurst ;).

Son of a gun! I guess nothing is too specalized these days.

Nice to know that there's still some hope! :smile:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

You all are give me cravings. :wub:

I think one of the best things about it is that there is very little reason not to eat it: it is so cheap! Only 3.99 a lb here regular price, and it goes on sale for 1.99 a lbs (for Dietz and Watson no less, not the best I'm sure, but far from bad) all the time.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Gawd. I haven't had liverwurst in ages but used to LOVE it when my Mom would make her liverwurst extravagana: Sturdy pumpernickel, liverwurst, sliced red onion, cream cheese, ripe tomato, S&P.

Now I'm having cravings, too. :smile:

I'm no expert on liverwurst or braunschweiger either, for that matter, as I really don't care for the stuff :shock:

I do have a question, as there are some liver products that I do like.

One of them is called liverwurst, coincidentally, and is found in German butcher shops. It looks like a kielbasa, only has the typical grey-brown liver color. You cook it by placing it in water that has just reached the boiling point and then taking the pot off the stove and letting it sit, covered, for about 20 minutes. Then you slit open the skin, remove and eat the contents, which are like a coarse pudding in consistency, and throw away the skin. It's very similar to blood sausage, if any of you are familiar with that.

Does anyone know more about this kind of liverwurst and why the term liverwurst refers to so many different kinds of products in this country? (If you look over the websites of several of the midwestern German butchers you will see what I mean by the variety of items that are called liverwurst and liver sausage.)

i vowed I wouldn't contribute to this post, cause i knew that all i would tap in was the way i used to love liverwurst, and really how interesting is that for other people to read.

but i can't help myself, reading how you all love it this way and that......

a million years ago i went into a big liverwurst passion, and had to have this sandwich, or half of this sandwich depending on how i was watching my diet, anyhow i had to have it.....a lot.

whole sprouted grain bread or rye, mayo and mustard (brown preferably, and lots of it), shredded lettuce, onions, and liverwurst. Close it up and press it shut. Cut it in half and bite in......deep breath, happy smile.......nothing exotic but oh so cozy and satisfying.

haven't eaten it since my phase and now i think: better eat it my next trip to usa.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

I do not know for sure whether "Braunschweiger" is supposed to be 'smoked', but "Braunschweiger Leberwurst" in Germany is not as well known as famous 'Thueringer', 'Schlesische', 'Schwarzwaelder' or 'Westfpaelische' and 'Hessische'.

I think in the US the term 'Braunschweiger' was adapted/adopted because 'Liverwurst' being a national German product (Leberwurst).

Now, if any and all can tell me what brands do YOU prefer, plus where they are available, I will stop lecturing and start eating (even without Onions).

But on real Rye Bread from this source:

Berkshire Mountain Bakery Inc.- Housatonic, Mass; 367 Park Street (Route 183)

P.O. Box 785, Mass. 01236; (owner - Richard Bourdon); (413) 274-3412; fax: (413) 274-6124

(M-F 9-6, S 11-5, S 11-6)

Mass Pike (I-90) from Springfield, Exit # 1, south on Rt-41 for 5.5 miles, turn left on Main Street for ¼ mile, turn right on Pleasant Street (Jacks Grill on the Corner), go on Pleasant for about ½ mile (turns into Park Street after river), go to # 367

Peter

Now, if any and all can tell me what brands do YOU prefer.....

Peter..... I had always been partial the Mother Goose brand of liverwurst. I haven't eaten any in a long time, but used to find it in delis and supermarkets in NY and CT.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I'm no expert on liverwurst or braunschweiger either, for that matter, as I really don't care for the stuff :shock:

I do have a question, as there are some liver products that I do like.

One of them is called liverwurst, coincidentally, and is found in German butcher shops. It looks like a kielbasa, only has the typical grey-brown liver color. You cook it by placing it in water that has just reached the boiling point and then taking the pot off the stove and letting it sit, covered, for about 20 minutes. Then you slit open the skin, remove and eat the contents, which are like a coarse pudding in consistency, and throw away the skin. It's very similar to blood sausage, if any of you are familiar with that.

Does anyone know more about this kind of liverwurst and why the term liverwurst refers to so many different kinds of products in this country? (If you look over the websites of several of the midwestern German butchers you will see what I mean by the variety of items that are called liverwurst and liver sausage.)

I do love that type of "cook and eat" liverwurst as well. The only distinction we made really was to call the "coldcut" liverwurst, "liverwurst" and the other, that you refer to, as "liverwurst sausage".

(I'm not positive of this, but I don't think the ambiguity comes only from it being a translation-- I think over there, people would know what is meant by context. Hopefully some German or Austrian will jump in).

I would think most people that like liverwurst on sandwiches would also like liverwurst sausage. (It's actually my favorite Austrian/German sausage). It's worth searching out in German/Austrian butcher shops. They may sell it fresh or frozen.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hello, first post,hope I do it right! Born and raised in Norway,now living in Georgia/USA. Lever postei( liver pate) was a childhood favorite on home baked bread with pickled BEETS on top. Nothing else added. The sweet/tart and saltiness,yummmm. Have found some Wisconsin liver pate and pickled beets(Nelly) at the local Krogar. Will have to do until my mom sends her "care package"

Welcome, norsk.

Liverwurst and beets. Nice.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Might be like some of the McDonald's in Maine, where they serve lobster rolls, but the corporate website does not offer that detail.

Yes they serve them, but they haven't yet learned how to make them. :wink:

So true. One might say that about their burgers, too, though... :shock:

(Sorry to slide off-thread, this was too good a chance to resist! :raz: )

Tonight dinner was:

Flax/pumpernickel roll with liverwurst, tomato, onion, pickles, mayo, mustard, hot pepper spread, provolone, and pickled okra. One crazy sandwhich, but darn tasty. I will have to start putting pickled okra on more things.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

I do love that type of "cook and eat" liverwurst as well. The only distinction we made really was to call the "coldcut" liverwurst, "liverwurst" and the other, that you refer to, as "liverwurst sausage".

(I'm not positive of this, but I don't think the ambiguity comes only from it being a translation-- I think over there, people would know what is meant by context. Hopefully some German or Austrian will jump in).

I would think most people that like liverwurst on sandwiches would also like liverwurst sausage. (It's actually my favorite Austrian/German sausage). It's worth searching out in German/Austrian butcher shops. They may sell it fresh or frozen.

Ok, here is the "Kraut" speaking;

'Wurst' is 'Wurst' is Sausage' is 'Wurst'

The German word for all and every kind of sausage is Wurst.

Generally speaking, all 'cold cuts' are 'Wurst', excluding solid pieces of meat such as 'ham' and other 'cooked/roasted' meats such as beef, turkey, pork etc.

There are the 'cooked' type: Leberwurst, Blutwurst, Wiener, Frankfurter, Bologna, Kielbasa and yes Mortadella also.

The 'dried, smoked, raw' type: including Salamis and alike, Landjaeger, Chorizo.

Some German Wurst, you might find in jars vs. casings. It's just a matter of preservation. No single Wurst need ever be cooked (at home) all can be consumed as bought. Again, a matter of taste is the heating of certain kinds.

There are very few 'true' German butchers in the US.

The ones that came in the twenties and founded companies here had often to adjust to other then German tastes, changing old world recipes. An example is American Liverwurst, you will seldom find 'sliceable' Leberwurst in Germany.

A few of the US companies like Schaller & Weber, Usinger's, Stiegelmeyer and others are very good and also truely represent the German Wurst market.

Oskar Mayer, though a German/Yiddisch name, makes the lousiest 'Braunschweiger' in the US, maybe that is the reason: Braunschweig (the German City) has/is never been known as a 'quality' Leberwurst maker.

Now the one, someone referred to as being eaten heated in the morning it is made, is called "Weisswurst" and is a typical Muenchner/Munich 'tradition', contains no liver, but is made of veal (reason for light [weiss] color).

The 'skinning' at table is almost a ritual, and a true Muenchner will immediately know who a stranger is when they eat.

Hope to answer some.

I still like to know more/other purveyors of good German Liverwurst here in the US. Someone mentioned 'Mother Goose Brand', not bad taste (slightly smoked) but too firm, no spreading possible, a real and true chracteristic of Leberwurst.

Peter

I had never had liverwurst until I started going out with the current BF. He likes liverwurst on squishy white bread with mayonnaise -- not my favorite. A liverwurst sandwich is on the menu at a local pub Palmer Place, but he hasn't tried it yet.

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

The 'skinning' at table is almost a ritual, and a true Muenchner will immediately know who a stranger is when they eat.

Okay, Peter, I'll bite. What is the correct form?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Okay, Peter, I'll bite. What is the correct form?

That's just it: Don't 'bite' ! (kidding)

The 'Weisswurst', as it is called, is eaten in Munich almost always, at least by 'Muenchnern', before 11:00AM, as it was made that morning. One will have a fork in their left hand and a quite sharp knife in their right hand. Holding the wurst with the fork, without puncturing it, making a cut with the knife 'from end to end', releasing the insides from the casing, and as there is a substantial amount of pressure from the heat inside the casing, plus the casing's natural tendency of 'shrinking', the skin now will curl up and away from the wurst. One now can eat the wurst, but always with fork and knife.

And please, never ever any other wurst but Weisswurst is eaten this way. ( Or you will be punished to drink four one liter 'Humpen' of Oktoberfest Bier).

Peter

Nullo, and All, I thought of you and this thread during the hurricane. I had been craving a liverwurst sandwich since you started the topic, and so I had the makings for them at the top of my hurricane food shopping list last week. Actually, it was one of the first official hurricane meals I ate, even though at that time it hadn't hit, and the weather was still beautiful. I can rationalize almost anything.

gallery_13038_19_1094499778.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Susan, that looks delicious.

Last night, after getting back home from driving straight from Asheville, NC back to Delaware, I fixed myself a new variation: Liverwurst, anchovy, pickle, hot pepper hoagie spread, mustard, stilton. Very pungent, but quite flavorful.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

OK, I've never had liverwurst. Not even tasted it. It's something my mother never bought and I've never even considered. However, all this talk of it and quick pate recipes and stuff makes me interested in trying it. I do like chopped liver, country pate, foie gras, etc., but don't care for most other liver preparations (i.e. where the liver maintains its original form -- liver and onions? blech). So, could someone please help a liverwurst beginner? Please describe what other liver product it most closely resembles in taste and texture. Is it a potted or canned product, or something you order at the deli counter of the market? Also, I can't buy or consume a lot of it at one time, because Jason absolutely freaks about liver -- doesn't want to see or smell it (he won't even taste foie gras when I've sampled it first and it mostly tastes like butter to me, not liver); and there's only so much a girl can eat at one sitting. Thanks.

Rachel -

I think the most tradition prep. is on rye bread, with onion, brown mustard, mayo, and the option of a slice of provolone or swiss. That is pretty easy to live with, has a nice mix of flavors, and should give you an idea if you like the wurst or not by not covering up its flavors too heavily.

To me, it tastes nothing like whole liver. Now, I love a good plate of liver and onions, but liverwurst is much creamier, less organy in flavor, and just has a nice full slightly spicey taste.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Please describe what other liver product it most closely resembles in taste and texture. Is it a potted or canned product, or something you order at the deli counter of the market?

I like mine with tomatoes and onions and mayo on white, so there are lots of options according to whatever else you like.

In taste, texture and appearance, liverwurst/Braunsweiger is far more like a pate than a slab of liver -- to which I see no resemblance. I've never seen it potted or canned although suspect it is available that way. You can always find it in packages and logs in the refrigerator case anywhere you buy other sandwich meats and cold cuts. And yes, you can usually order it at the deli counter.

In fact, since you're just trying it, that's exactly what I'd suggest you do. Go to your deli, or the meat counter in your grocery store and buy a very small portion. Take it home and try it first spread on crackers.

Or, go to your deli and order a liverwurst sandwich with whatever else on it that appeals to you from these posts. If you don't like it, you won't have lost much.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I hate liver, love liverwurst. It's a texture thing. The liverwurst is smooth, creamy, yum, whereas liver is...not.

I'd get it at the deli counter, you don't want your first liverwurst sample to be that Oscar Meyer tripe (although I did eat that as a child).

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope