• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liverwurst

NulloModo

in general , MajorBrands

ConAgra etc

what is the difference between

liverwurst and braunschweiger ?

My father used to eat liverwurst , and it came in a roll

that was about 4 - 5 " thick , 

braunschweiger seems to come in a self contained 

tube , w rounded ends and encased in a wrap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

in general , MajorBrands

ConAgra etc

what is the difference between

liverwurst and braunschweiger ?

My father used to eat liverwurst , and it came in a roll

that was about 4 - 5 " thick , 

braunschweiger seems to come in a self contained 

tube , w rounded ends and encased in a wrap.

I bet @Duvelcould explain the difference. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

this is the sort of liverwurst I remember growing up :

not necessarily that brand , but that form

Unknown-2.jpeg.f22fc93573916956a6fea15f53bb0e18.jpeg

this is the style of braunschweiger

probably available in my area , again , not brand specific.

Unknown-1.jpeg

I did a bit of research and learned that the Braunschweiger is smoked? Not sure that I buy into this story so I’m hoping we’ll still hear from @Duvel.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Instead of reinventing the wheel if you scroll back up-topic esp starting https://forums.egullet.org/topic/49685-liverwurst/?do=findComment&comment=701234  @Peter B Wolf gives some detailed info   Steven Shaw's hope was that eG serve as a reference as well as a discussion - we have some good stuff warehoused ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I did a bit of research and learned that the Braunschweiger is smoked? Not sure that I buy into this story so I’m hoping we’ll still hear from @Duvel.  

In this specific case - the US version - I am not much of help. I explained the two vastly different products in its country of origin here …

NB: There was a bit of discussion on the topic, especially since both have undergone a bit of a sea change. In short, also in Germany the Braunschweiger is smoked, but not based on liver but more of a Mettwurst/Salami subtype, yet spreadable. Liverwurst/Leberwurst can be easily obtained in a more sliceable version - as in the US - or spreadable, and is available unsmoked or smoked.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Duvel said:

In this specific case - the US version - I am not much of help.

Thanks. It might’ve seemed a bit unfair to ask for your input but I still appreciate it. I did want to know how it was viewed in Germany and I appreciate that you were able to answer that. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I like Leberwurst with pieces/slices of caramelized apple (fried in butter and dusted with icing sugar) and/or caramelized onions. Bit of sweet-sour chutney works also (mango is great). Spreadable smoked Leberwurst also goes well with in butter fired sage leaves …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 5

The Euro market down the hill (Alpine Village Market) offers 3 flavors - plain, onion, and mushroom. I am partial to the mushroom which I like with sharp mustard on an ever so slightly sweet egg bread or a farmer's bread they sell. 

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

Could you provide a picture of Leberwurst with mushrooms ? I have not encountered that variety and am very curious, especially if it is a European product …

The best I can offer is this old image. No label - just in the tubes. Assume in-house or locally made. The mushroom bits are pencil eraser size and almost black. Very flavorful. People come from far and wide to shop there. The Leberwurst is sold by 1/2 pound so they just cut off what you want. Freezes well too.

post-52659-0-35462000-1304640010.jpg

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

I know every market has its peculiar demands, but Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Sausage 😱

How did they manage to leave out the sun-dried tomatoes?

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

@Duvel

@Anna N 

""  Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Sausage  "

must help pay the rent , in Los Altos 

and Id bet the rent now days is astronomical 

sun dried tomatoes are in something else

drunk.jpeg.e108230140cefd63b90e60307cb14a63.jpeg

or 

icon_smile_cheers.gif.dba8d9e4184c10cbc457350f883759e3.gif

how ever :

111.thumb.jpg.16ab2ffd14d9979d48786e3bd03df80b.jpg

22.jpg.e771e219975be860d8d5e48cf5acfd98.jpg

so you have to to there 

""   undercover ""

unfortunately 

I think its Unlikely 

in CA to get 

Raw ( but very very fresh )

ground pork 

Onions , OK   many varieties 

its CA 

• Like 3

went down the MB 

prepared meats isle 

and found this :

IMG_1707.jpg.1e00a57d7a88f005bf59258c6fb93bc5.jpg

snapped one up.

right nest to it was this :

L5UG3.jpg.e17622c4fd68e13b0d0248d94c85cca4.jpg

this one is of the diameter I remember my father getting , even the same color of the

' wrapper '

Im looking forward to trying this

but Im guessing in my area os the USA

the tube ( Jones , a much better than average ' processed meat vendor ' )

is not smoked .  rats .

Im going to try this on my next Turkey Shepherd's Pie.

I might be a decent sub for Mortadella ( USA ) 

which is hard to snag @ 6:30  AM

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

https://www.forestporkstore.com/products-liverwurst.html

And from Schaller & Weber...https://schallerweber.com/product/braunschweiger-liverwurst/

Traditional Braunschweiger has its origin in the German town of Brunswick, or Braunschweig. But by the time it reached the United States, the name was being applied to a variety of smoked pork sausages. Schaller & Weber started with old-world style liverwurst and, using our secret recipe and techniques, made it smoother and easily sliceable.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

Over in the breakfast thread, I mentioned that I recently purchased some liverwurst and started playing around with it.  I suspect the classic combo as seen in the middle of my breakfast plate is likely best. 

IMG_3821.thumb.jpeg.ef81b94d8990ec1a2bfde4c7c44552c8.jpeg

That didn't stop me from exploring other options.  Many rather unfortunate but it was fun looking.  Read on, if you dare! 

For starters, I found a recipe for Mrs. Murry’s Liverwurst Sandwich from A Wrinkle In Time.  Just typing that makes me sound like the Sandwiches of History guy 🤣  I have no memory of this from the book but apparently young Charles Wallace made his mother cream cheese and liverwurst sandwiches as a midnight snack in the very first chapter.  I made one for breakfast, modified to include a smear of Dijon and my cuke slices are somewhat less than thin.

852BB0F2-917A-4ABA-AB92-D5BE52176376_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6afb7292b8317ca9c1d5a65c65dfcff8.jpeg

Better than I expected. 

I'm kinda curious about a recipe for Bacon-wrapped Liverwurst sliders which makes little patties with liverwurst, onion, horseradish and cornflakes, wraps them in bacon and cooks them in the oven.  The link to that recipe is broken but I took it over to the wayback machine and found it.

Here's the link in case anyone else wants to look: https://www.cupofzest.com/bacon-wrapped-liverwurst-sliders/  It appeared on that blog in Aug 2016. 

Food.com offered me Wurst Onion Cups, appetizers that use whomp crescent dinner roll dough to make little cups that get filled with a mix of liverwurst, sour cream, lemon juice and French fried onions before baking.  I can see doing something like that, maybe with mushrooms added, maybe using puff pastry? 

I found a recipe for Hidden Liver Meatballs that are 1:1 liverwurst & ground pork.  Just mixed together pan fried. Kinda seems like there should be something like breadcrumbs or something in there.   

A Pastured Egg & Liver Bowl with celery, avocado and spinach makes me cringe and piques my curiousity. 

Speaking of cringe, a community cookbook from 1979, San Francisco a la Carte offers a recipe for California Deli Quiche that I thought sounded interesting.  Maybe  until I tracked it down.  It features a layer of 3/4 lb liverwurst mixed with small amounts onions, garlic, bread crumbs and nutmeg topped with an egg & heavy cream custard seasoned with cinnamon, grated Parm and sherry.  I found the recipe via Google books and rather wish I had not. I like quiche but NO!

I'll report back if I decide to try any of these - don't be holding your breath waiting, especially on those last two! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'll report back if I decide to try any of these - don't be holding your breath waiting, especially on those last two! 

You’re such a good sport but please don’t. Some of those recipes make me check my supply of Gravol.
 I’d hate to see you turned off liverwurst forever.

I have a couple of small chubs on my shopping list right now and they should arrive before evening. 

It has its place. I happen to think it’s great topped with some pickled beets. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You’re such a good sport but please don’t. Some of those recipes make me check my supply of Gravol.
 I’d hate to see you turned off liverworst forever.

I have a couple of small chubs on my shopping list right now and they should arrive before evening. 

It has its place. I happen to think it’s great topped with some pickled beets. 

Oh no, I think it's quite nice. The stuff I have is spreadable, and like liver pâté, I think it’s great with pickle-y things so I’d be very much on board with pickled beets.

My own cookbooks didn’t offer many options beyond using it to make quick pâtés, as a pâté sub in banh mi sandwiches or as a sub for liver in bolognese-type sauce.  That dearth sparked my I’ll-fated exploration. I think simple is best here!

• Like 1