• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Life is short

Andre

We only live once. That thought may cross our mind on several occasions; Birthdays could be one of them.

Friday night and my wife is troubled with the issue of going out. Friday is the one night I hate to go out in. Weekend drivers, overbooked restaurants and noise are things I wished to avoid and that night, I managed.

A beautiful Mediterranean weather reigned that night. A light breeze hissed through the recently planted garden and the smell of seawater made it all the way from the beautiful Haifa bay.

Brothers and friends speaking four different languages gathered around a table filled with love, French, Italian, Israeli and Irish cheeses. Hand made bread, Cold meats, sliced vegetables and fruits completed the soon to be perfect scene.

Riesling Rheingau Spatlese Trocken Weingut Robert Weil 1994. What a start. Aside from being fairly young, a wonderful acidity backs – up a medium to full-bodied wine rich in minerals, citrus fruits and just the amount of Petrol expected from a 10-year-old Riesling. The wine was consumed without showing the slightest sign of loosing its concentration.

Drink 2006-20012.

Pinot Noir Valley Oaks California, Fetzer 1999.A well made wine focusing on the fine balance between rich ripe red concentrated fruits and medium toasted oak. The Santa Barbara climate may have affected the ability of the wine to match the Che’vre cheeses but the cold meats and the aged Irish and Italian sheep cheese proved a fine match.

Porto Quinta do Estanho 30 Anos.

Sweet talk and lead me on….

Fine six to 10 months aged cheese counterbalanced this amazingly complex wine. Nothing short of a masterpiece, this wine kept on gaining complexity and texture for as long as the bottle lasted.

The amazing Irish Cashel Blue, overshadowed whatever the French and Italians had to offer. Memories may have added the Brits as well. Simply a perfect match with Estanho’s 30 year old effort dropped any murmuring about diets or fat percentage. [ party poopers are everywhere I guess ], just sit back and enjoy the metaphysical ride.

A young Moroccan singer was adding to the already perfect harmony in multilingual Arabic, Spanish and Indian cultural expressions.

Isn’t the world a perfect place?

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Sounds like a beautiful evening: friends, family, good food, good wine. I wish I was there.

You are SO right that life is short and that you only live once. I believe I will go get myself another beer!

Cheers!

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

You are SO right that life is short and that you only live once. I believe I will go get myself another beer!

Cheers!

LMAO !

Still smiling and always welcome.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.