• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hominy?!

lmarshal1

My daughter-in-law made us this dish (thick soup, stew even) using hominy:

Tortilla Soup (with chicken, hominy and corn)

Cube a pound of chicken breasts and saute in oil in a large skillet or dutch oven. Dice a medium onion and a sweet bell pepper and add to the chicken. Cook till chicken is no longer pink. Add 1/2 cup Bisquick. Add a can of corn (drained), a can of hominy (drained), a can of diced tomatoes (undrained), a packet of taco seasoning, a teaspoon (or more) of chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon (or more) of ground cumin. Add water till soupy. Simmer. Pour over broken tortilla chips in large soup bowls/mugs. Top with shredded cheese. Soup will be quite thick and quite tasty. (The canned items above are each 16 ounces.) lkm

Edited by lmarshal1 (log)

Undrained tinned corn and hominy? I don't think that's a good thing to do.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I understand the need to use canned hominy at times but making it yourself is like comparing supermarket tomatoes to a ripe heirloom. It's not hard at all but it does take some time. It freezes well and the frozen pozole is still better than the canned. You will be surprised to learn that the rubber texture is exclusive to the canned product, not the actual hominy.

Southwestern/American Indian-style hominy (like the kind I sell! Surprise! Surprise!) is already slaked and a lot easier to make than the Mexican, which requires soaking with cal and removing the skin. The Mexican kernels tend to be bigger.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I agree with RG that the uncanned is best. For yours, torakris, I would tell you that pozole done from this takes anywhere from 2-4 hours of simmering time. The frozen is my favorite, as it's taste is so stellar.

I fully agree with Jinmyo; if your hominy is canned, it really needs not just draining, but a cold water bath to remove that liquor that's in the can. The taste will spark up, for sure. And, you want to taste the hominy, not the canning by-product.

Undrained tinned corn and hominy? I don't think that's a good thing to do.

I don't agree with the need to drain for a soup or stew. I think it has a nice, mild corn flavor. It's salty, but that just means I add less, if any salt to the final product. I used to drain it off, then I began adding more and more of the liquid back (instead of stock or water) until I just stopped draining.

Edited by mike k (log)

I like to fry up a couple of pork chops, and then cook the canned hominy in the pork chop pan, with the pan drippings. Salt and lotsa pepper.

Yum; that sounds good.

A interesting recipe is Winter Squash and Hominy soup

Cook a squash like pumpkin or butternut and puree. Sautee onions in butter and than add chicken broth and hominy. Add squash puree and cook until just before the boil. Season with red chile and salt.

One of my favorite dishes is New Mexican Posole though, with pork and either green or red chile.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I made pork and hominy stew in the pressure cooker using a recipe from Lorna Sass' book "Pressure Perfect." Ingredients were hominy, onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, zucchini, pork, chicken broth, tomato paste, cumin seed, oregano, sage, cilantro. I might have forgotten something. It was very good. lmarshal, if you want the recipe, I will PM it to you.

It was the first time I put a jalapeno in anything, so I removed all the ribs and seeds because I thought it might be too hot. Then I was disappointed that there was absolutely no spicy heat in the stew. Next time I will leave the ribs, at least. Or maybe I will use a chipotle instead and add some of the adobo sauce from the can.

It was also my first time using a pressure cooker, and although there was a point where I panicked thinking I had done it wrong and it was about to blow, dinner and cook escaped unharmed. :rolleyes:

Rachel Sincere

I've been a fan of hominy ever since my mom made me try it as a wee lad :) We're the only ones that I know of who like it, though, so it can be difficult incorporating into my cooking. One recipe that has been successful is a white-bean chili I make with black eye peas, small white beans and hominy. I can send the recipe if anyone would like it!

Bryan Ochalla, a.k.a. "Techno Foodie"

http://technofoodie.blogspot.com/

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

Orson Welles (1915 - 1985)