• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Astrance

StuDudley

I just called L'Astrance earlier this week. They will be closed from Jan 1st-5th, and they're already full for NY's eve. As of Monday they had space on Dec. 23rd, 29th and 30th (when I'll be going for dinner ).

They're offering a 4 plats prix-fixe at 85euros, and a 6 plats ("plus surprises") for 105euros.

When are you going??

I just called L'Astrance earlier this week. They will be closed from Jan 1st-5th, and they're already full for NY's eve. As of Monday they had space on Dec. 23rd, 29th and 30th (when I'll be going for dinner ).

They're offering a 4 plats prix-fixe at 85euros, and a 6 plats ("plus surprises") for 105euros.

When are you going??

Won't be going now,

over for weekend of 13/14 december.

so disappointed they changed their weekend policy, as I had had it in my diary to call precisely 1 month before...

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

• 3 months later...

Not to revive a thread that has been "asleep" for too long, but I want to let everyone know that I made a reservation for L'Astrance in early April when I'll be visiting Paris... I will post my results when I get back in mid-April...

FYI, I called at 10AM Paris time and spoke to the reservationist and formally stated that I wanted a table for dinner on my designated day. He got my information, put me on hold for maybe 30 seconds, and came back and told me that I was all set. I called back today (about a week later) to confirm the reservation and he pulled it up and said "yes, you are confirmed".

We'll see...

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to get a reservation at L'Astrance for almost 2 years now. They claim they take them 1 month out so I call that morning and am always told they are complet! I speak French, not great but well enough...can anyone help?

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

See the other discussion about Taillevent v. Grand Vefour for BackwardsHat's technique -- he got into 6 3-stars in Paris during a recent two-week visit. I usually have to try a number of different restaurants in order to get just 1 that has a table available during my trips there, which tend to be rather short. My current technique is to send a fax to the restaurant, in French, asking if they have a table available on one of a number of dates and not being picky about the time. I provide my e-mail address, phone and fax numbers for the restaurant to contact me about their availability. And I also say in my fax that if there is a waiting list, I'd like to be put on it. This has generally worked very well, and saves a lot of time on the phone. I haven't tried Astrance, but I have a reservation at Guy Savoy in 2 weeks, which I am looking forward to.

Once, I got lucky when I was walking by L'Ambroisie around 11:30 am with a couple of friends, and we decided to ask if they had any tables available for lunch that day. They were very friendly and after checking the book, they said yes, and told us to come back at noon. That was a really memorable meal.

Good luck.

Nobody is ever complètement complet. This has happened to me numerous times at restaurants with those kind of time-sensitive booking policies - including l'Ambroisie - and I've always eventually gotten a table. You just have to be creative and persistent, and yes, it helps to speak French and have a local phone number (even a hotel).

So depending on your situation (i.e. if you are based in Europe, and/or how easy it is for you to get there on short notice) here are a few suggestions:

1) keep calling and asking if they've had any cancellations, if you are in a position to, say you'll take anything.

2) if you feel your French is good enough to develop a brief 'rapport', play the flattery/sympathy/'special event card. Say that you've been trying for two years and always seem to miss their "deadline", but that you've heard such great things and it's your dream to eat there (flattery will get you far) that you are going to be in Paris for a special anniversary/birthday /whatever, just make something up.

3) Call the day before the 31 day window and if they say they aren't accepting them *yet*, say you know this but explain what has happened to you in the past, and ask if they would accept a fax from you or an email in anticipation of the reservations book opening, and say you are happy to call to confirm etc.

4) If you are in Paris, stop by the restaurant in person (or if you aren't, have a friend do this) and try to sweet-talk someone then. It shows commitment that you just came in off the street.

If you can't get in for dinner, why don't you try for lunch.

I'm going next Thursday :biggrin: and it was not difficult at all to get the reservation.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

you are in france not montreal ,michelin never tell when they come!

Michelin may never tell when they come, but Michelin is unusual in that respect. I've been told that French reviewers make a great point of announcing their appearance and expecting favors. The professional "ethic," or so I've been told, is not what it is in the US, not that a sense of ethic necessarily trickles down very far from the most respected professionals in the filed here either all the time.

A distiller of very fine eaux-de-vie once told me of his great respect for Patricia Wells because she came to his distillerie, bought bottles of eaux-de-vie and then featured his place and products in her Food Lover's Guide to France. In fact, from that experience alone he had great respect for the American ethic. According to him the M.O. for a Frenchman writing a similar guide to good food, would have been to announce he was writing the guide and ask for samples.

Sacrificing your first born is always a possibility. It's worked for me to some extent as has having someone make personal contact or introduction for you. My reservation there was procured before it became so difficult and it was made in person by a culinary journalist with, and for, whom my first born had worked, on a day she was dining at l'Astrance. It didn't hurt that we were dining with our first born either. I'm just relieved that I didn't have to use the fact that my first born's spouse met the chef of l'Astrance in a French kitchen in NY. There's always a next time.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

you are in france not montreal ,michelin never tell when they come!

I didn't say tell them you're a restaurant critic, I said tell them you're a food writer, a chroniqueur gastronomique, not a critique de restaurant.

I mean, what the hell, it just might work. And if you have to, if your feel guilty or something, find an outlet to write a story about the place, say your local neighborhood paper.

If Astrance is full, they are full. It's not by saying you are a food writer that a table will magically appear...

Try and try again is my advice. I have had a table during a very busy season on a saturday night just by calling and inquiring....

Maybe when they open their new restaurant it will be easier (?)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I've been out to Rungis with the chef/proprietor - Pascal Barbot - a great chef and a gentleman. There is no secret to reservations at L'Astrance - it's just a very small restaurant in great demand. Just call and ask for the next available table - or the next available time to reserve. Ask for the waiting list. They call to confirm dinner reservations by noon or so - so call around 14:00 to ask about cancellations. There's no secret. They don't hold tables for VIPs - there's no room.

What was told to me by phone by L'Astrance is: the reservations start one month in advance at 9.30 in the morning. At 10 the restaurant is fully booked.

So try as early as possible and several times.

And as said before: why don't you try lunch - will be easier perhaps?

If anyone is in Paris on Friday and they feel like joining me for lunch at Astrance I have a table for one booked for 12.30. I sure this could be changed for two if somebody cares to join me.

Table for one could be quite sad, if it were not for the fact that the food at Astrance is so good. But it would still be great to share the experience.

There is no secret to reservations at L'Astrance - it's just a very small restaurant in great demand. Just call and ask for the next available table - or the next available time to reserve.

I agree with Loufood. I just got reservations by calling and asking for the next available and taking them. I did this more than 31 days ahead, so there isn't a deadline on that. I did chat to the host a bit, but he seemed very professional and easy to work with.

Amo Paris

If anyone is in Paris on Friday and they feel like joining me for lunch at Astrance I have a table for one booked for 12.30.  I sure this could be changed for two if somebody cares to join me.

I just wanted to say I really admire this post (unless you forgot a smilie!). In a perfect world anytime any foodlover wanted to have lunch with another gastronome (a technical term for one addicted to gastronomy :wink: ) he/she could just make a great reservation and then send out an invite.

I'll be in Paris for June this year. Post your invites then and I'll show up if I'm not working. Dutch treat but invitee buys the kirs.

Amo Paris

Why eat alone if you can share the pleasure with a fellow gastronome, especially a culinary journey such as Astrance.

Paris in June would be lovely, eating at Astrance twice in one season would be lovelier still. But I think June is going to corsets and curry in Leicester, strictly academic studies of course. :smile:

Off to Paris tomorrow... looking forward to visiting Pierre Herme, before dinner at Zenzan, more macroons at Laduree, then Astrance, then Reglade, then Epi Dupin, then phew i will never fit into anything remotely fashionable so off to a friend's birthday party in Dordogne for the weekend. His family seem to have a big thing about ducks- great pate last time- so perhaps this is not such a good idea for gastro-rehab.

There is no "secret" to getting a reservation... Like saycheese said, read my post in the Taillevent vs Grand Vefour thread... Oh, loufood's response in this thread is accurate, listen to what she has to say... Good luck!

BackwardsHat.com

I just returned from a long lunch at Astrance and thought everyone would be very interested to know that they have changed their reservation policy. I overheard the maitre d telling someone that they now take reservations six weeks in advance instead of one month to the day. Also, my boss asked to make a reservation for the end of August and they took it without a problem and even asked if she would like lunch or dinner. Perhaps this is because we had just eaten lunch. I also heard the Maitre d say that they were now booked through mid June for dinner.

I had thought that the lunch menu was only 29 €, but it is now 45€, which I felt bad about because I had told everyone what a great deal it was for lunch. I’m honestly not even sure if this is the menu we had as I didn’t see the bill. We chose the surprise lunch menu, which consisted of several courses. We began with a very light purée of pea, oregano, and saffron, which was delicious. This was followed by lotte, served with spring onions, whole garlic and baby artichokes with seemed to be served with a very simple sauce of olive oil. Then came crisp roasted chicken with green and white asparagus, fresh peas, and small potatoes. Everything was very light, perfectly cooked and of the best quality. Next was a refreshingly crisp sorbet with pepper and lemongrass. Dessert was a rich chocolate cake with ginger ice cream, a plateful miniature Madelines and fresh fruit. If this was indeed the 45€ the menu, it was a great bargain for everything we had.

It was truly a memorable lunch!

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Try offering them your first born.

Ok, i m so glad that there is still a sense of humor out there, you just made my day.

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

I had thought that the lunch menu was only 29 €, but it is now 45€, which I felt bad about because I had told everyone what a great deal it was for lunch.

45€ is a great deal for lunch at L'astrance...

The "surprise" lunch menu you had is basically a mini version of the "surprise" dinner menu...

As far as I know, they only have one lunch "menu", so it must be the surprise menu you had there...

I could never eat lunch at a place like L'Astrance for the simple reason that I would want to order a huge dinner menu since the food is so light and tasty :biggrin:

BackwardsHat.com