• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smallish Leméac review and a question ...

Thesorus

( just recently registered to this forum ... and I think I like it very much !!!! )

Good evening,

Just came back from an early "solo" dinner at Leméac, which is one of the restaurant I prefer in Montréal for a early ( or late ) dinner.

Quite a nice meal, had the sweetbreads as the main course, delicious, I'm not an expert in sweetbreads, but they were juicy, tender and quite tasty, and the sauce diable complemented them nicely.

For the entrée, I had the calamari, very tender, not at all rubberry.

They have a bottle of La Vieille Prune from Louis Roque, aged in oak barrels, and is a lot more enjoyable than ordinary white prune alcool, more rounded. The bottle they have is also quite impressive, 1.5L !!

And for the question.

I often eat out alone and I have a couple of places that I know I won't feel "singled out", Leméac is one of them, l'express and the "Au Pied de Cochon", and some other Sushi bar.

Any other "single" restaurant where I can eat at a table or a bar, and not feel like I'm alone and taking the place of 2 persons ?

Thanks.

Max.

Just about any place with a bar is going to be hospitable. In addition to APDC, Leméac (tho' they've always seated me at a table) and sushi bars, I've enjoyed solo dinners at Café Ferreira Trattoria, L'Express and Casa Tapas. Globe, Rosalie and Brunoise have bars too, but I can't vouch for the barstool experience there (however, Brunoise's Zach recently told me that they now accept reservations for the bar). A Chowhounder has suggested Aux Cépages in Old Montreal, somewhere I've never been. The other strategy is to dine outside of peak periods: early, late or on Sundays through Wednesdays.

Thanks for the tip about La Veille Prune. I love that stuff.

Yeah I agree Le Lemeac is always a sure bet, and the staff is always there for you.

At the bar the vibe is so cool, maybe there is a lack of mirrors(express is better mirror wise...) when you are alone but the barman makes you feel good.

La vieille prune always come in this format i think. They had it at l'express before.