• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avenues Restaurant To Get 2004 F&W Best New Chef

ChefGEB

Elliot, you know I wish you all the best. You know I'd be in those stands cheering you on in person if I could make it! Mr. blue corn and chipotle ain't got nothin' on you (no offense, Bobby). Can't wait to hear all the behind-the-scenes juice when I'm sittin' at your bar next!!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I called Avenues today to enquire about their current prices in preparation for a family trip in decmber. I was told that the chef's palate was $145 which I had expected to be in that ballpark. I proceeded to enquire about the wine pairings and was told that the chef's palate with pairings was $290.

I was a bit thrown off in that I have found many restaurants such as Alinea, Moto, and TRU use the 1/2-2/3 of the menu philosophy for price of wine pairings. Am I wrong in being surprised that the cost of pairings should equal the cost of the menu? Perhaps this is just not something I have come across in my relatively young gastronomic career, but who knows?

I called Avenues today to enquire about their current prices in preparation for a family trip in decmber.  I was told that the chef's palate was $145 which I had expected to be in that ballpark.  I proceeded to enquire about the wine pairings and was told that the chef's palate with pairings was $290.

I was a bit thrown off in that I have found many restaurants such as Alinea, Moto, and TRU use the 1/2-2/3  of the menu philosophy for price of wine pairings.  Am I wrong in being surprised that the cost of pairings should equal the cost of the menu?  Perhaps this is just not something I have come across in my relatively young gastronomic career, but who knows?

It's not unprecedented in this respect -- the upgraded pairings at Alinea are usually priced at around the same level as the Tour. But I always considered that a special circumstance. I'm guessing this means that pairings designed to accompany the Chef's Palate at Avenues are particularly excellent.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I don't have my menus to hand, but I have to chime in. I too blanched at the cost of the pairings, and opted not to- but largely due to needing to be bright eyed and bushy tailed in meetings the next morning. The pairings themselves are above and beyond any other I've seen at any other restaurant, including Alinea- truly wines and liquors I do not expect to see 'by the glass'. Once I sat there and thought about it, given what they were serving, the cost made perfect sense.

The staff at Avenues is more than happy to recommend a couple of other glasses, if you don't want to do a full pairing.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

I don't have my menus to hand, but I have to chime in.  I too blanched at the cost of the pairings, and opted not to- but largely due to needing to be bright eyed and bushy tailed in meetings the next morning.  The pairings themselves are above and beyond any other I've seen at any other restaurant, including Alinea- truly wines and liquors I do not expect to see 'by the glass'.  Once I sat there and thought about it, given what they were serving, the cost made perfect sense.

The staff at Avenues is more than happy to recommend a couple of other glasses, if you don't want to do a full pairing.

What she said. Although I don't drink, the last time I did Bowle's chef's tasting my two friends did do the pairings and they were quite impressed with the pairings. I did the non-alcoholic pairings, and they were an exquisite experience all to themselves.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 weeks later...

Avenues has been added to AAA's list of 5-Diamond rated Chicago restaurants. This now brings to 7, the number of 5-Diamond rated restaurants in Chicago -- more than any other city . . .

Making their debut on the 2007 Five Diamond restaurant list, Alinea in Lincoln Park is becoming known around the country for its innovative tasting menu and Avenues, located in the Peninsula Chicago, is well known for its exquisite menu.

"AAA is thrilled to add these two impeccable restaurants to the Five Diamond rated properties," said Brad Roeber, Regional President, AAA Illinois/Indiana. "All recipients undergo rigorous review and meet the highest standards in quality and service to earn AAA's exclusive, top Diamond rating."

Chicago's 2007 Five Diamond rated restaurants: Alinea (1 year), Arun's (5 years), Avenues (in The Peninsula) (1 year), Charlie Trotters (13 years), Everest (11 years), Seasons Restaurant (in the Four Seasons Hotel) (7 years), Tru (7 years).

Chicago Is Now the Leading Destination for AAA Five Diamond Dining

=R=

That's great news, and obviously well deserved. 

But Arun's?  I don't know about that one.

Bingo!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

doc,

i've also been to five out of the seven... and arun's isn't one of them. so, i can't say... but, from what i know, it does seem to be the odd one out.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

doc,

i've also been to five out of the seven... and arun's isn't one of them.  so, i can't say... but, from what i know, it does seem to be the odd one out.

u.e.

I've been to all except Seasons, and unless something at Arun's has changed dramatically for the better in the last couple years (especially from a service standpoint), it does seem to be a questionable selection, especially considering some other places that were not awarded the highest marks (Carlos' and Spiaggia come to mind immediately).

Edited by Pugman (log)

Is there a good possibility that Michelin will make it's travels to Chicago? To me, it just sounds about right...no other city comes to my mind as far as restaurants go besides Vegas and Atlanta. Congrats to Avenues! The experience is just amazing there.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Is there a good possibility that Michelin will make it's travels to Chicago?

I have it on fairly good authority that they are already here and active.

=R=

I would also like to congratulate ChefGEB and the entire Peninsula Chicago crew for being named the best hotel in the U.S. by Condé Nast Traveler

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

I don't have my menus to hand, but I have to chime in.  I too blanched at the cost of the pairings, and opted not to- but largely due to needing to be bright eyed and bushy tailed in meetings the next morning.  The pairings themselves are above and beyond any other I've seen at any other restaurant, including Alinea- truly wines and liquors I do not expect to see 'by the glass'.  Once I sat there and thought about it, given what they were serving, the cost made perfect sense.

What she said. Although I don't drink, the last time I did Bowle's chef's tasting my two friends did do the pairings and they were quite impressed with the pairings. I did the non-alcoholic pairings, and they were an exquisite experience all to themselves.

u.e.

The most memorable part of our dining at Avenues was seeing Aaron Elliot as our sommelier. He was fabulous at Tru (when were newbies), and again provided spot-on pairings at Avenues. Let him know your concerns and he will take care of you ;)

The most memorable part of our dining at Avenues was seeing Aaron Elliot as our sommelier. He was fabulous at Tru (when were newbies), and again provided spot-on pairings at Avenues. Let him know your concerns and he will take care of you ;)

Unfortunately, Aaron is no longer at Avenues (unless he's returned). When we ate there this past June, he'd been replaced by Michael Muser.

=R=

Just to clarify, Aaron Elliott departed Avenues and The Peninsula Hotel earlier this year. Michael Muser has proved to be an amazing addition to the team, and we are looking forward to his continued success.

Graham Elliot

@grahamelliot

www.grahamelliot.com

Just to clarify, Aaron Elliott departed Avenues and The Peninsula Hotel earlier this year.  Michael Muser has proved to be an amazing addition to the team, and we are looking forward to his continued success.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that Mr. Muser's work was any cause for disappointment. In fact, he took great care of us when we were in. But if you go to Avenues expecting to see Aaron, that's an entirely other matter. :wink:

=R=

• 3 weeks later...
Avenues has been added to AAA's list of 5-Diamond rated Chicago restaurants.  This now brings to 7, the number of 5-Diamond rated restaurants in Chicago -- more than any other city . . .

=R=

:smile: Avenues and Chef Bowles make my heart smile. I visited the kitchen bar not too long ago and was wow-ed. :wub: Avenues deserves the 5-Diamond designation, and I'd highly encourage others to experience it for themselves.

Much thanks to ChefGEB and his team for an exquisite meal and for making the entire experience so wonderful!

• 2 months later...

Just a quick heads up that chef Bowles will be competing against Bobby Flay on this Sunday's episode of Iron Chef on Food Network.

Chef Bowles will also be featured on the Today Show (NBC/WMAQ) this coming Wednesday at 8:48 am CT. He'll be cooking with flowers for Valentine's Day.

It's all-out Bowles media blitz this week!

Congrats, Chef :smile:

=R=

Just a quick heads up that chef Bowles will be competing against Bobby Flay on this Sunday's episode of Iron Chef on Food Network.

Chef Bowles will also be featured on the Today Show (NBC/WMAQ) this coming Wednesday at 8:48 am CT.  He'll be cooking with flowers for Valentine's Day.

It's all-out Bowles media blitz this week!

Congrats, Chef :smile:

=R=

Whee! I wish I could see the cooking with flowers thing. Congrats, Chef Bowles

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm happy and proud to be the first to help announce and congratulate the birth of Mylo Ignatius Bowles!

Looks like the next generation of foodie-rock stars have a new darling to dote on! :wink:

Cheers to you and yours, Elliot.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account