• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avenues Restaurant To Get 2004 F&W Best New Chef

ChefGEB

Congratulations to Chef Bowles and his team.  In his re-review of Avenues in today's Chicago Tribune, Phil Vettel upgrades Avenues from 3.5 to 4 stars.
Chef de cuisine Graham Elliot Bowles is 28 years old and running out of worlds to conquer. He has worked at Tru and Charlie Trotter's. He garnered a Top Ten New Chefs award from Food & Wine magazine for his work at the Jackson House Inn & Restaurant in Vermont.

Now he has taken Avenues, the luxurious dining room inside the Peninsula Chicago, to the four-star level.

Well deserved, IMO. Congrats and keep up the fantastic work!

I have eaten at Avenues once and I really like to eat somewhere twice before giving an opinion, but I did not have the experience that the board has reported thus far. The first problem was the server really did not have a great command of the english language. He offered us bottled water and I asked what they had and he named four choices that I had never heard of. I told the waiter to bring whatever he thought was best, because by his accent I did not recognize the choices-he brought Evian. I was worried at that point because how could he possibly explain the dishes if we could not understand him. We ordered the Chef's tasting and the dishes came out incredibly slow. The portions were small, even by tasting size standards. I felt the dishes on the whole were "hit and miss", more miss, though the platings were very nice. We ate there on a Saturday night and the Chef left the line for 45 minutes during our meal. I would try it again, but I have no plans to.

Edited by molto e (log)

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Congratulations to Chef Bowles and his team.  In his re-review of Avenues in today's Chicago Tribune, Phil Vettel upgrades Avenues from 3.5 to 4 stars.
Chef de cuisine Graham Elliot Bowles is 28 years old and running out of worlds to conquer. He has worked at Tru and Charlie Trotter's. He garnered a Top Ten New Chefs award from Food & Wine magazine for his work at the Jackson House Inn & Restaurant in Vermont.

Now he has taken Avenues, the luxurious dining room inside the Peninsula Chicago, to the four-star level.

Well deserved, IMO. Congrats and keep up the fantastic work!

I have eaten at Avenues once and I really like to eat somewhere twice before giving an opinion, but I did not have the experience that the board has reported thus far. The first problem was the server really did not have a great command of the english language. He offered us bottled water and I asked what they had and he named four choices that I had never heard of. I told the waiter to bring whatever he thought was best, because by his accent I did not recognize the choices-he brought Evian. I was worried at that point because how could he possibly explain the dishes if we could not understand him. We ordered the Chef's tasting and the dishes came out incredibly slow. The portions were small, even by tasting size standards. I felt the dishes on the whole were "hit and miss", more miss, though the platings were very nice. We ate there on a Saturday night and the Chef left the line for 45 minutes during our meal. I would try it again, but I have no plans to.

[/quo

I was just wondering if people feel better about themselves when they belittel someone during thier time of success.

I had an extraordinary meal at Avenues. Elliot’s food is extremely creative and grounded. He deserves all he has received.

Congratulations to he and his staff

Colby Garrelts

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

I was just wondering if people feel better about themselves when they belittel someone during thier time of success.

I had an extraordinary meal at Avenues. Elliot’s food is extremely creative and grounded. He deserves all he has received.

Congratulations to he and his staff

Colby Garrelts

I think the negative opinions stated upthread -- which are backed up with specific examples -- are perfectly valid. The fact that the thread was bumped recently is a reasonable trigger for members to post on it. Perhaps they may have otherwise not bothered with it or not even known about the thread.

It's also reasonable to suppose that the effusive praise in Mr. Vettel's recent review was in such contrast to a given member's experience at Avenues, that the review itself inspired that member's post. I don't think we should have any problem with that around here.

While I haven't seen many of them, I have seen some negative comments about Avenues . . . and Charlie Trotter's and Alinea, etc. Let's face it, no restaurant is going to be loved 100% across the board. Chef Bowles is enjoying now only a small portion of the success he is likely to achieve over the course of his career (the guy's only 28 years old!!). And, as successful as he is destined to become, there will always be some who simply do not care for his work. Such is life and the nature of opinions.

Let's please try to appreciate the diversity of opinions presented on this forum instead of pointing fingers at each other over them.

Thanks,

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Chef Garrelts,

I am sorry that you did not appreciate my comments regarding our experience at Avenues. This was my experience with three other diners. I would have much rather throughly enjoyed my meal at Avenues than not as we all had the Chef's Tasting with wine pairings so this was not some small outing for dinner. I eat out regularly at fine restaurants( Last 12 months Alinea, Arzak, Avec, Avenues, Bastide, Charlie Trotters, Chinois, El Bulli, Fat Duck, Le Francais, Maple Drive, Mary Elaine's, Moto, Pierre Ganaire, Sea Saw, Spago Beverly Hills to name some of the best) so I feel that I have a right and a perspective as to what I feel is a good restaurant experience. I look forward to trying your restaurant if I am in KC-your food looks great. Ronnie S is correct, I had not seen this thread before and that prompted my post. In my post, I did say that his platings were nice and I did enjoy some of my courses so this was not some "smear" posting. E-Gullet is an excellent place to read about all facets of a dining experience at a particular restaurant good and bad. If and when I try Avenues again I will be happy to update my post-hoping for the best.

Good Eating,

Molto E

Edited by molto e (log)

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Chef Garrelts,

I am sorry that you did not appreciate my comments regarding our experience at Avenues. This was my experience with three other diners. I would have much rather throughly enjoyed my meal at Avenues than not as we all had the Chef's Tasting with wine pairings so this was not some small outing for dinner. I eat out regularly at fine restaurants( Last 12 months Alinea, Arzak, Avec, Avenues, Bastide, Charlie Trotters, Chinois, El Bulli, Fat Duck, Le Francais, Maple Drive, Mary Elaine's, Moto, Pierre Ganaire, Sea Saw, Spago Beverly Hills to name some of the best) so I feel that I have a right and a perspective as to what I feel is a good restaurant experience. I look forward to trying your restaurant if I am in KC-your food looks great. Ronnie S is correct, I had not seen this thread before and that prompted my post. In my post, I did say that his platings were nice and I did enjoy some of my courses so this was not some "smear" posting. E-Gullet is an excellent place to read about all facets of a dining experience at a particular restaurant good and bad. If and when I try Avenues again I will be happy to update my post-hoping for the best.

Good Eating,

Molto E

Well, I do apologize if I came off harsh to your original reply.

Elliot is a good friend.

As to my opinion on your post, I would just like to add that there are a great many young men in this profession that live and die by their jobs.

I completely respect your opinion. Your experience was what it was. My point was only that people are so quick to keep people down in a time of success. I just felt the timing could have been better.

As for your credentials, you are very privileged to eat as well as you do. Not all of us are as fortunate.

I would love to continue this topic but I had better get back to the kitchen. Keeping up with diners “perspective of a good dining experience” is a lot of work!!

:wink:

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

• 3 months later...

A bit more than a year ago chef Graham Elliot Bowles and I met here. On this very thread, he’d announced his impending arrival in Chicago -- he’d been hired as chef at Avenues in the Peninsula Hotel. A few weeks later he officially took the helm, and in the months which have followed, he and his crew have taken Avenues from relative obscurity to a place of national prominence on the culinary map.

Chef Bowles is often categorized with a couple other highly successful Chicago chefs but I’m not sure that the comparisons necessarily apply. Sure he’s young, immensely talented and innovative but there’s no mistaking chef Bowles’ food for anyone else’s. Rather than fit into any illusory Chicago Avant-Garde style, it is chef Bowles’ mere presence in Chicago which, I think, draws the comparisons. He’s great, he’s young and he’s here. Beyond that, I don’t think the comparisons are even worth trying to make.

We dined at Avenues last month and my wife and I delighted in the chef’s “his and hers” Chef’s Palate menus. We were each served 12 different courses and sommelier Aaron Elliot (formerly of Tru) deftly paired each of those courses with its own companion from the still-evolving wine list, for which he is only partially responsible. He’s still working through a relatively large stock which he “inherited” when he took the job. It mattered not. The pairings were thoughtful and provocative.

With the 12-course menu there simply were no “duds” but I did have my favorites. My first course was an absolutely delectable combination of yellowtail toro, Matsutake mushrooms and Matsutake mushroom panacotta. From there, we traveled the world, enjoying everything from Chef Bowles signature foie gras with “pop rocks” to melt in the mouth Kangaroo with eucalyptus and savory oatmeal, which was hearty and satisfying. Pheasant with pecan, cornbread, black-eye peas and collards -- for which Chef Bowles gave the credit to his crew -- also blew me away. The unconventional risotto with grenouilles, cipollini and truffle was rich and satisfying. Another course which was absolutely decadent and truly memorable was the Sturgeon with caraway, sauerkraut and caviar. The crown jewel of my menu, however, was the Bison with sassafras, grits and cranberry. I cannot remember ever eating a more satisfying piece of meat in my life. The bison was cooked en sous vide, then (IIRC) coated and grilled. OMFG! I tried several of the dishes my wife was served and they were all wonderful as well. I especially enjoyed the deconstructed versions of caesar salad and bouillabaisse. Her venison dish was wonderfully tender and tasty. The beef dish, a very close rival to the bison.

The only criticism I have of Avenues is that the elegantly old-fashioned room doesn’t even come close to matching chef Bowles’ boldness of style. He is, for all intents and purposes, a bull in a china shop at Avenues. And it almost feels like the hotel is holding back on making changes until they’re certain that he’s their guy. Well, if it were up to me, I’d give the man whatever he wants because he’s clearly worthy of it. Same goes for the wine list. A little more lattitude provided to both chef and sommelier will crystalize Avenues’ place among the top restaurants in town. And there is absolutely no one who could draw diners into Avenues more successfully than chef Bowles. Message to the Peninsula: Get it done before it’s no longer an option.

Service was outstanding. From the hostess who greeted us all the way down the line, we were treated wonderfully. I’ve already mentioned sommelier Aaron Elliot whose enthusiasm just bursts out of him. But also our captain,William Talbott, went WAY out of his way to make us feel extra special. And our server, Jose, took care of our every need -- many times without us even noticing. It was a level of service which was just perfect for us. As with many of my favorite restaurants, the performance of the staff was impeccable but the attitude was friendly, good-humored and laid back. One dish -- I cannot remember which -- was served with a variety of utensils. I was told to simply use whichever ones were most comfortable for me. I loved that moment. It was a truly reflective snapshot of our experience at Avenues.

Running a top-tier restaurant is an elusive enough task with a set of perfect tools but doing so out of a hotel is an even more challenging gig. At Avenues, not only is traffic somewhat limited because of the room’s location 5 floors up from the street but also because of union rules, they don’t enjoy the same flexibility as other places in town which can take on stagieres, unpaid apprentices, etc. Of course, Chef Bowles would never mention any of this. He just does his thing, deftly. But it’s clear that he’s doing more at Avenues with fewer resources than many other chefs in town who enjoy kitchens full of upwardly mobile chefs. Don't miss Avenues. It's a genuine jewel.

=R=

I originally missed it but there was a fun piece about the "Chef's Bar" at Avenues in last Friday's Chicago Sun-Times:

Along with the scrumptious [22-course] meal, diners (there's room for about eight people at the Chef's Bar) also get to talk, watch and learn from the chef and his cook. The bar is at the edge of the kitchen, and everything that gets prepared for the restaurant takes place in front of the guests sitting at the bar. The chef will explain just about every dish, and you'll be able to see how it gets plated and ready to serve.

Gotta try it: Cooking up entertainment

=R=

Nice article. Hopefully I can close the restaurant on a tuesday so I can eat there. After knowing Elliot for all these years I feel like a nitwit not experiencing his vision in food yet. Everything I have seen here looks great. Keep it up.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

• 3 weeks later...

Table d'Hote

Freedom can be a curse. Constraint transforms an indulgent fantasy into an object to be shared. While some artists can curb themselves, often their most profound work is that on which others - bosses, backers, distributors, or dealers - make demands. Mel Brooks was never so clever as in those years before he became MEL BROOKS and could do what he wished without the limits that others placed. Compare his tight and tough early work on "The Producers" with his later flabby and self-indulgent "History of the World."

What is true for directors is equally true for chefs. The chef with too little oversight is prone to forget that variation on tradition surpasses variation without tradition every time. This is the challenge that those prominent chefs who are attempting to amaze diners with their Technocuisine often ignore.

This came to mind at a very satisfying second meal at Avenues. Avenues is the lead restaurant at the Peninsula Hotel on Chicago's Magnificent Mile, currently overseen by Chef Graham Elliott Bowles. Bowles, along with Grant Achatz of Alinea and Homero Cantu of Moto, are reconstructing American cuisine in Chicago with nods to Ferran Aria's El Bulli or Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck -- and now Wylie Dufresne's WD-50 in New York. Yet, Chef Bowles has an odd advantage that these other chefs lack - a bureaucratic structure that grants some leeway, but demands that his creativity appeals to a broader audience. He must work within the bounds of corporate capitalism. Bowles's stage, pleasant though it is with a lovely view of the Chicago skyline, is hotel-generic. The scene is the comforting one of traditional high-end dining; the setting gives no clue that Bowles' work is outside the Hilton/Hyatt ambit.

Many fellow eaters, especially those who embrace an auteur theory of culinary production, would suspect that the presence of an international bureaucracy is less than a boon, but it is a curative for gustatory excess. Chef Bowles must please not only truculent gourmets who search out the new-new thing, but must satisfy hotel customers who choose The Peninsula and wish to dine avoiding the gusts of Michigan Avenue. Not only must he produce dishes that satisfy those gourmets looking to be astonished, but satisfy financial masters who demand a assigned food cost without dibbles of red ink stretching far into the future. Whether Chef Bowles can bring this off remains to be seen; however, from the standpoint of cuisine, his blend of creativity with pragmatism is a genial success. In these past six months Chef Bowles is developing a distinctive style. In visual terms his dishes meld Jackson Pollack and Morris Louis, thin smears of color combined with an dynamic placement of ingredients, encircled by the action painting of condiments, foams, and sauces. The dishes look like constructions from the zenith of New York Abstract Impressionism.

As for the taste and texture, Bowles draws on those features now become "traditional" (dare we say) in technocuisine - foams, startling ingredients (pop rocks with foie gras in Bowles's signature foie-lipop - an unbeguiling dish I had on my first visit and which will last me a lifetime). What impresses me is how these techniques no longer demand attention, dominating the plate, but rather enrich a classical palette. In contrast to Homero Cantu at Moto and Grant Achatz at Alinea, Bowles has remained loyal to the urbane purity of Charlie Trotter's experimentation. I speculate that some of his choices owe some to institutional demands.

Having eaten quite a bit recently in New York City, I was pleased to see that Chef Bowles stood by the display kitchen, actually checking each plate. All too often New York celebrity chefs need a map to get to their restaurants. Even Gabrielle Hamilton arrived at Prune after we started our meal and left before dessert. During my first meal at WD-50 (but not during the second) Chef Dufresne was chowing down in Berkshire at The Fat Duck. One is more likely to see Chef Vongerichten at JFK than at Jean-Georges. So, it is nice that in Chicago, chefs, even well-regarded ones, are kitchen-bound. Perhaps the best news of the Chicago fall was the collapse of Charlie Trotter's plans to clone himself at the Time-Warner Center.

At my first meal at Avenues last spring my wife and I selected the Chef's Palate Menu, consisting of twelve courses. In those heady pre-blog days, I did not keep tasting notes, but I recall an ecstatic lobster dish, flavored with celeriac and verbena, and a fine hamachi with soy, yuzu and radish. There were a number of disappointments, notably the half-frozen foie-lipop. If we must torture ducks, let them die for a noble cause, not to become a Tootsie Roll on a stick.

Here we ordered the six course tasting menu: I ordered the game menu (with a substitution for the foie gras) and my wife the vegetable menu. Unlike Charlie Trotter's where the Vegetable Menu outshown the Grand Menu, at Avenues, the vegetarian dishes were less well-conceptualized, although in several cases excellent in execution. At times the vegetarian dishes mimicked the meat dishes with an offending ingredient absent. This night I was not jealous of her choice.

We begin with a lovely amuse with a cauliflower puree with apple essence, micro-argula, and dots of salmon caviar (the vegetarian amuse excised caviar). The puree was a tribute to a Cuisine of Essences: pure cauliflower, with a bit of apple tartness and roe saltiness. A robust and mature start.

My opening dish of pheasant in a boudin noir smear with an oxtail confit and (again) sauteed argula was as fine an appetizer as I could have wished. Until the multiple course meals, a six course tasting menu permits the chef to work on a larger canvas and permits the diner to experience food over time, mixing the main ingredients with sauces in various combinations. I like the bravery of mixing pheasant with boudin and with oxtail (game, pork, and beef) in the same dish, and found that this dish - not exactly a stew but a buffet - had the solidity that a game dish demanded.

My wife's deconstructed Caesar salad, was a clever retooling of this classic dish. Large squares of brioche were filled with dressing, and a cleverly designed floweret of romaine was coated with a Parmesan mix. I don't know that the taste of a perfectly made Caesar was much improved, but the agape factor was high.

My second course was a highpoint of the meal, a surprising mix of scallops, pumpkin, eggnog, and endive. The pumpkin surprisingly did add to the scallop, not overwhelming it, and the endive was suitable to mix and match. I had worried about the sweetness of the eggnog, but it was a heady foam that could be added or avoided at will. This is the kind of thoughtful and unexpected linkage that characterize the best of Chicago cuisine.

My wife's Matsutake with Radish and Cilantro (with Togarashi spices - a Japanese spice mix) was unexceptionable as a salad dish, but reminded me of a very high end coleslaw.

As a third course, we both were served Risotto with cipollini onions. Mine had frog legs, hers did not. Les grenouilles tasted, well, like chicken, and rather stringy chicken. In the case, less was more. The menu lists truffle on the description of these dishes, and perhaps there was truffle in the risotto, but we were offered grated truffle as "a supplement," perhaps not the wisest strategy to keep happy diners, although perhaps a come on for the bottom line. We declined.

My fourth course was another grand success: tender-roasted bison covered with sassafras with grits and chard. I loved the mix of the bison - nearly a pot roast - with the properly prepared grits. At our previous meal we were served buffalo with grits, chard, and barbecue, but the sassafras lent a more classical and subtle edge to the dish than the somewhat overpowering sauce. Whether buffalo and bison are - at Avenues - the same animal, I can't tell, although each had its own spot on the Ark.

My wife's pumpkin with eggnog, spice and vanilla included a prettily displayed small squash, more beautiful than powerfully flavored, although a nice addition to the vegetarian menu.

My final main course consisted of several squares of venison surrounded by various accompaniments, including Irish Steel-Cut Oatmeal, Spinach (I think, although, who knows, perhaps it was sauteed argula!), and Yam "Tatar Tots" with cocoa and juniper sauce. The venison served as shards of bread - to mop up other ingredients. None of which made a huge impression, although the dish was not discordant. The tater tots may have been too cute (they were really more like a Yorkshire pudding), not bad, but less than memorable.

On the vegetarian menu, the choice was potato with kale and huckleberry. Having only a small taste, I can't express a firm opinion, but again this dish seemed less conceptualized than the dishes on the other menus - more a sop to those who don't eat meat than part of a philosopher's plan.

For the desserts, the vegetarian choice was superior. My wife was served a yogurt panna cotta perched in a tart-sweet cranberry soup. It was lovely in design and in execution. My dessert had its points as well - Avenue's cheese tray: Roquefort cheese, spiced walnuts, essence of pear, and still more micro-arugula. This conclusion was not shocking - conventional with a twist - but I did envy my wife's luscious soup.

Chef Bowles deserves much credit: in part, as Woody Allen notes, because showing up is most of life, but also because he has learned to prepare dishes that appeal to multiple audiences. The foams, deconstructions, and shot-gun marriages were shrewd and occasional, allowing the chef to demonstrate that he could apply classical techniques with finesse. Whether his supervisors - those necessary monsters with the green eyeshades - will agree only time will tell.

Avenues

The Peninsula Chicago

308 East Superior Street

Chicago

312-573-6754

My Webpage: Vealcheeks

• 1 month later...

I have just posted a podcast (mp3) interview of Chicago Chef Graham Elliot Bowles of Avenues restaurant at:

Hungry Magazine

You can listen to it on the site or download it to any MP3 player. As you may know, Chef Bowles has been a participant on this forum and a Food and Wine best Chef in 2004. He has worked at the Mansion on Turtle Creek, Charlie Trotters, Tru, and the Jackson House Inn. Chef Bowles is bright, ambitious, and well versed on art,music, politics, and food. It was a real treat to talk with him. It turned into a jam session, with Chef Bowles riffing on music, food, art, and politics. We discussed why a chef has to leave his greatest hits behind, the wider accessibility of fine dining, how constraints actually breed creativity in cooking, and the chef’s tattoo collection.

I am doing these interviews weekly, and wondered if anyone had any requests for chefs, food personalities, or topics they would like to see covered.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by MJN (log)

"That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred." Goethe

Great interview, Michael. I love how chef Bowles opened up to you. As much as I've read about him, your chat was filled with new information and insights. Thank you for posting the link and please keep us updated on future features which you believe may be of interest to us.

=R=

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys, had dinner at Avenues with my SO this past saturday, and we were both very impressed by food, service, ambience, and pretty much everything. We had the Chef's palate sans the wine pairing since I had to drive and he just doesnt drink alcohol :smile:

the food was fantastic I can say that all but one were very well executed in presentation and in flavor....I have to rule out the stone crab risotto :sad: wish it had more citrus zing to it, then it would've been perfect for my palate, it was a little too crabby flavored for me.

the service was great, we were very well attended to, my glass of sparkling water was never empty, and very articulate about details ie. she almost poured me regular non carbonated water, then when she was about to she halted and said she was just kidding ( she's just so likeable ) and then went back to get the bubbly kind. everyone was so warm and welcoming.

I'd definitely go back for another nice dinner at Avenues, compliments to ChefGEB>>YOU ROCK!!!

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

heartily second. you may wanna check out my last meal there...

chef bowles is a genius and i really am looking forward to returning soon.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

Moderator Note: This post was moved here from another thread since it poses a question to Chef Bowles.

I just wanted to congratulate Chef Carlson on his being named one of Food & Wine Magazine Best New Chefs for 2006!  I look forward to dining at Schwa in the near future, as I have heard nothing but good things.  The team of Avenues wishes you continued success.

A question for you-I heard a radio interview of you and you mentioned the possibility of opening other restaurants in the future. Would you consider opening a place in Vegas? What's your take on the restaurant scene there?

I love Avenues, but I just wish The Peninsula management/powers-that-be would recognize the talent they have in the kitchen (Chef GEB and crew) and put a little money into redecorating the room so that it better matches the sublime cuisine. The staid "traditional" decor just doesn't do the food, service, or Chef justice.

On that note, I guess now is as good a time as any to let everyone know that Avenues will be closed from July 1-10 for redecorating. Chandeliers, wallpaper, uniforms, carpeting, art, curtains, etc will all be redone to allow the dining room to more closely resemble the cuisine we are doing.

Graham Elliot

@grahamelliot

www.grahamelliot.com

On that note, I guess now is as good a time as any to let everyone know that Avenues will be closed from July 1-10 for redecorating.  Chandeliers, wallpaper, uniforms, carpeting, art, curtains, etc will all be redone to allow the dining room to more closely resemble the cuisine we are doing.

Honestly, ChefGEB's creations are so delicious, I'd eat them in a warehouse sitting on over-turned crates!! :raz:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

On that note, I guess now is as good a time as any to let everyone know that Avenues will be closed from July 1-10 for redecorating.  Chandeliers, wallpaper, uniforms, carpeting, art, curtains, etc will all be redone to allow the dining room to more closely resemble the cuisine we are doing.

Fantastic news, Chef. Thank you for the update. It's great to know that you and your crew are receiving that kind of support. I look forward to experiencing the changes first hand but also sincerely hope that I get back to Avenues at least one more time before they happen.

=R=

Fantastic news, Chef.  ....  I look forward to experiencing the changes first hand but also sincerely hope that I get back to Avenues at least one more time before they happen.

=R=

Ditto!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I love Avenues, but I just wish The Peninsula management/powers-that-be would recognize the talent they have in the kitchen (Chef GEB and crew) and put a little money into redecorating the room so that it better matches the sublime cuisine.  The staid  "traditional" decor just doesn't do the food, service, or Chef justice.

Gee, I should have wished for a million bucks instead!

In the absence of that, it's great to hear the decor will get the re-do that the food (and staff) deserves. I look forward to the new look.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope the website will also get a re-do that features photos of the food and the new decor.

Elrushbo.

To answer your questions posed here,

1. Yes, in fact, I will be flying to Chicago for one night just to eat at the Avenues in the coming week. I'm literally arriving in the afternoon, taking care of some shopping downtown, scooting over to Chef Bowle's bar and leaving at the butt-crack of dawn the next morning.

...Die-hard Avenues fan? *Where?* :raz:

2. Yes, I believe that for gents, jackets are preferred, but not required.

3. As you can read above on this thread - the decor is getting addressed soon.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Elrushbo, there is not a jacket requirement. I would, however, exhort you not to show up in khaki cargo shortds, sneakers, and a rumpled polo like the gent 3 tables over from me the first time I was there.

Enjoy!

(ue, there had better freakin be pics, and let me know when I can post my paean, I've been holding off so as not to spoiler)

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?