• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yet Another Tipping Topic: The Celebrity Edition

Daddy-A

I can't get to the NY Post page six for the original version of the article, but from Salon, Sept. 6 entry:
"They [the Bush twins and their entourage of about 25] drank $4,500 dollars worth of drinks — bottles and bottles of vodka,' says a club insider. 'Then, having been comped all the alcohol, they left a $48 tip. We thought 1 per cent was kind of outrageous, considering they are the president's daughters.'"

Yea but rembember that they are unemployed just outta college. You think they ever saw a check? :wink::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I can't get to the NY Post page six for the original version of the article, but from Salon, Sept. 6 entry:
"They [the Bush twins and their entourage of about 25] drank $4,500 dollars worth of drinks — bottles and bottles of vodka,' says a club insider. 'Then, having been comped all the alcohol, they left a $48 tip. We thought 1 per cent was kind of outrageous, considering they are the president's daughters.'"

Yea but rembember that they are unemployed just outta college. You think they ever saw a check? :wink::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Whether they saw the check or not, they saw the menus or wine/drink lists they ordered from. Surely they didn't think they'd only ordered $320 (which would make their $48 tip a low 15%) worth of whatever with their party of TWENTY FIVE PEOPLE. That's just classless behavior. Period. They're spoiled little bourgeoise brats with no concern for the "common man". At a minimum, their Secret Service babysitters should have taken care of it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Secret Service babysitters most likely cannot sign for the check or have any of the evenings fun. You called it "That's just classless behavior. Period. They're spoiled little bourgeoise brats with no concern for the "common man". And you people are suprised. I tip well cause I earn my money.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Secret Service babysitters most likely cannot sign for the check or have any of the evenings fun. You called it "That's just classless behavior. Period. They're spoiled little bourgeoise brats with no concern for the "common man". And you people are suprised. I tip well cause I earn my money.

I didn't think the Secret Service could join in the fun, but I certainly thought it was part of their job to clean up whatever mess their charges get into. :rolleyes:

I tip well both because I earn my money and because it's customary to do so for good service. Having the entire bill comped is EXTRAORDINARILY kind of whatever unfortunate establishment gotted stiffed by those ingrates. They should have tipped hard for that priviledge. Unless that sort of treatment is something they've come to expect and is simply feeding into their entitled sense of noblesse oblige? :hmmm:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol