• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vin cotto

Mythreesons

I am no expert, but a little search on cartedate (also spelled carteddate and cartellate) revealed some recipes and this one for Vin Cotto Fiche.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Tina,

vin cotto recipes vary a lot from region to region in Italy, so it's hard to give a single recipe. I assume the one you're looking for comes from Puglia, so in your case the recipe mikeycook found is probably a good starting point. I found an alternative one on the web, in Italian, which calls for a vin cotto made simply by reducing freshly pressed grapjuice to 1/3 of its original volume, till thick and slightly caramelised.

Carteddate can also, as far as I know, be covered, or better dunked in warm runny honey.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Alberto, cartellate are dipped in vin cotto. Honey is only an alternative.

Also pettole are dipped in vin cotto or honey.

I personally prefer vincotto than cotto di fichi, because it's' less sweet. I have a recipe for cotto di fichi

that I have not tested, do you want it anyway? In Puglia you can buy it easly, it's time consuming, so we usually buy, unless you have a lot of figs that you don't know what to do with them.

I tried to make vin cotto (from grape juice) one time there, but I personally don't advice to do so if you think of using just a little grape bought in a store.

I don't know where you live, but in the US it's easy to find in some store. At Kalystians, for example, buy the turkish Pekmez, it's vin cotto and much cheeper. I found a brand from Lizzanello, to me, seems a product for the abroad market.

Hi Franci,

Yes, I would love it if you could post the recipe you have for vin cotto.

I understand that it takes a long time to make vin cotto, but I would really like to try to make an attemp. I live in NJ, where is Kalystians located? Is the pekmez you mentioned made from grapes or figs? I appreciate your help. I really want to surprise my family by making something we have not had for many, many years since my nonna passed.

Regards, Tina

Hi Tina,

Kalustyans is in Manhattan, 123 Lexington.

http://www.kalustyans.com/catalog.asp?menu...category_id=151

the pekmez is made with grape, but they also carry what they call "Essence Of Fig Puree" (from Calabria), that is cotto di fichi. Quite expensive, a small bottle is 20$, but, consider that, to make a full bottle of cotto di fichi, you would need many pounds of figs and, to my experience, here figs don't taste very good.

I check the recipe I saved, it's not very different from the one suggested before.

I am usually the one who like to do everything from stracht, but, in this case, I suggest you to buy. You could try both the pekmez and the cotto di fichi from Calabria and decide which one you like.

Also in Astoria, at Titan supermarket for ex., you can find vin cotto, I didn't check if they carry the fig ones, because, as I said, I prefer the one made from must.

I just bought a jar of vin cotto, I use for sassanelli or mostaccioli, it's not really the right season...but I like them.

Edited by Franci (log)

Alberto, cartellate are dipped in vin cotto. Honey is only an alternative.

Also pettole are dipped in vin cotto or honey.

Franci, thanks for the correction.

BTW, are these made only for christmas?

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Hi Tina, here is the link for Titan Foods:

http://www.titanfood.com/main.htm

That wuold be the Astoria Blvd subway stop. If you walk north, there is another plaza with a small supermarket, a butcher and Artopolis a nice bakery (23-18 31 St.). At the bakery they sell many small cookies, also Moustokouloura, look like tarallini but made with vin cotto. I wasn't particularly excited because the use corn oil in their cookies, me as a good pugliese, only extra-virgin.

If you go to Titan Foods, try also the mizithra, it's closer to our ricotta then the american one. Also Anthotiros cheese is similar to our primo sale...sorry I am a big "chiacchierona", but I am so excited about my discoveries.

Alberto, pettole are traditionally made for Immacolata and for Vigilia (per la cena di magro)