• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDeli? Think it will work?

Gifted Gourmet

hmmm, I liked the McRib.

I don't see how McDonalds could fail at this if they set their mind to it, they are a big enough corporation with enough supply channels and etc that they can make anything work if they want.

Howevever, for $4, unless it is stellar, I would pass. For that price I can get a real deli sandwhich from a real deli.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Here in Burnaby we have the Western Canadian HQ for McD's, as well as a Mc-U. They have a McCafe, complete with a huge patio and a large outdoor fireplace. Very nice looking, but during a visit last night (just to use the washroom ... seriously!) I couldn't help but notice it still smelled like a McD's. You can dress it up, but it still is what it is.

DA

I don't see how McDonalds could fail at this if they set their mind to it, they are a big enough corporation with enough supply channels and etc that they can make anything work if they want.

You are so right!

I see them trying to take market share from subs that in Canada have a big market share, as for pizza; as I said before and few agree their pizza was good, they spent a lot of money and bought high tech equipment, they gave up so soon. Pizza as well has a big share of take out business.

The market place is saturated in the take out bus, in Canada there is only so much market share. I say do what you do best, burgers, improve on them McDonald’s and make a fresh burger or a better chicken burger, a steak burger or salmon burger, like you said they have a huge buying power so they should use it.

steve :blink:

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Actually, they couldn't make it work here in Central Indiana. We apparently were a test market, and they decided not to continue with the concept around here. They had remodeled the test restaurants and are now re-remodeling them to go back to a more traditional McD's setting.

We do get a limited run of the McRib every year.

ETA: It looks like they have retooled and pared down the concept.

Edited by indybear (log)

Moms in minivans may be a part of the market McD's is going after with the introduction of deli sandwiches. If you can give mom an alternative to fried foods for herself, she may be more willing to take the kids in for a happy meal. I know my kids have had an extra lunchtime trip or two to McD's since they introduced the big salads; a lean deli sandwich on nice tasty wholegrain bread could potentially coerce me too. Or maybe not. My kids like deli sandwiches too, in which case we'd probably go to a deli or sub shop.

• 1 month later...

update on this thread ... :shock:

Looks like it may be working ....

The sandwiches culminate 15 years of trial and error including a mid-1990s test of McStuffin's, .....  partly to give employees time to learn the new routine. Preparing Oven Selects requires an employee to make cheese and meat portions in advance of lunchtime, Babrowski said.  At the McDonald's in Lisle this month an extra employee manned the Oven Selects station at midday. Slicing and toasting a French roll, he added nine ingredients including smoked ham, mortadella, salami, lettuce and tomato, in less than 90 seconds, to make the Leaning Tower Italian:laugh:

Would you go to McD's for the Leaning Tower Italian and bypass (sorry, President Clinton!) the Quarter Pounder with Cheese?? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 1 month later...

So, being a child of the seventies, the era where TV marketers perfected imprinting marketing images into impressionable young brains, I'm a sucker for a good ad campaign. Not that McDonalds is running a good campaign for their new deli sandwiches, but lets not allow that point of fact obscure my central thesis and slim defence for my actions.

I just went and tried their new deli style toasted sandwiches. Here's the big shock, they were bad. Unbeleiveable, I know. Split a Ruben and Beef and Provlone. The ruben had a not bad rye bun, and was really the only part that wasn't completely forgetable. Thousand island, swiss(-ish) cheese and boiled soggy pastrami-like protein substitute round out the sandwich. No eveidence of the fresh coleslaw illustrated in the picture that induced me to order it. .

Beef and provlone was just that, white roll, roast beef-ish substance, cheese, a few boiled green peppers and some acrid raw onion. Mmm!

To be honest, while they weren't great, they weren't completely horrid. They were of a quality that if you were given them for lunch on a short haul domestic flight in economy, you'd think they're not too bad. I don't know if a mediocre airline sandwich is going to cure McDonalds market share woes however.

The sad part is, I really didn't need to try the sandwiches to pronounce them bad, as anyone that knows me can attest, not being an expert in something doesn't deter me from pontificating. I was standing in line, willing my self to keep from fleeing. Fujiya is just down the road, I could really go for one of their bento lunches. Against my better instincts I held fast to my plan to sample the latest saviour to McDonalds share price. Maybe time to short them.

I still McShudder thinking about this. Then again, for all the arguments about adandoning their core market and spreading their net too wide, the fact remains that they have this down to a McScience, and are no doubt quite upset at the inroads that places like Subway have made.

They covet those lost customers--when it was just Arby's, Roy Rogers, and lesser local "sub" chains making sandwiches they weren't all that worried, but times have changed and terrifying phrases like "Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki" have actually somehow become part of the vernacular.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Curious (or maybe not) that four out of the five sandwiches listed are going to be high in fat grams.

It may be whole grain - but those calories are still going to kill the Soccer Moms' diets.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Isn't this exactly what In-N-Out and Fatburger are doing?  To a casual observer, they seem to be kicking a lot of ass indeed. 

Yes, Fatburger does kick ass.

Wait--are you talking about a burger joint? :unsure:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

The sad part is, I really didn't need to try the sandwiches to pronounce them bad, as anyone that knows me can attest, not being an expert in something doesn't deter me from pontificating. I was standing in line, willing my self to keep from fleeing. Fujiya is just down the road, I could really go for one of their bento lunches. Against my better instincts I held fast to my plan to sample the latest saviour to McDonalds share price. Maybe time to short them.

Thank you for sacrificing your taste buds for eG. We thank you.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Thank you for sacrificing your taste buds for eG. We thank you.

No we're encouraging reckless dining? I agree with Keith ... he knew better and got what he deserved! :raz:

Note to self: sell short on MCD.

A.

in a desparate dash for more cash, all of these places seem to of forgotten about the bread and butter of their business.  I have a feeling it will go the way of the McRib sandwich, remember that mistake.  Kind of like the New Coke.

THE MCRIB IS BACK!!!

I just drove past a McDonald's and noticed a large McRib sign over the restaurant... So I guess it's back. I've never tried it, but I sort of recently saw the episode of the Simpson's where Homer gets hooked on rib sandwiches...

The McRib comes and goes randomly it seems, McDonalds doesn't seem to want to support it as a full-fledged menu item, but apparently there is enough demand to bring it out as a 'special limited time' sorta thing every now and again.

Actually, from what I remember, they are kinda tasty in a super-processed kinda way.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I think Mc Rib was (is) somehow underwritten by a pork producer's association.  I Wonder what they contribute?  That must effect the timing of its availability.

It must take a long time to gather all the pig lips needed to make such a sandwich.. But seriously, for some reason i loved this thing as a red eyed teenager.. I wonder how i would like this now.

I don't choose to go to McD's, but was doing a "run" to get some eats for a group when I noticed a Steak and Cheese being offered at the local chain. I haven't seen any advertising for it, or for any of the other deli sandwiches for that matter.

I was going to skip getting anything but it was the only thing on the menu that appealed to me, so I gave it a try. What I can tell you is that I was expecting the worst, and found that it was something that I would definitely order again if McD's was the only option. (like the van full of kids and stopping at only one drive thru, or any other group outing) The worst part was a piece of grizzle. Now, I don't mind grizzle, as I used to love it growing up--but I would prefer not to guess whether it is actually grizzle or not when coming from McD's!

The point is that they were successful with this item, as I would order it again. I actually have come to expect McD's trial offerings, as it seems that they have now worked that feature into their business model. I'm no longer surprised to see "what will they be offering next?"