• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland Dining Suggestions?

I love Portland and am looking for a new suggestion of where to dine while I'm there.

I've tried the big names, Higgins, Paleys, Wildwood, Genoa, any other places I should try?

What's the most inovative place right now?

Thanks.

We don't really do innovative. But try Park Kitchen and clarklewis. Also Hurley's. You may also want to look at Caprial's, Fife, Tabla, Casanis, Bluehour, among others.

I'm curious: Is Park Kitchen a re-name of South Park? I ate at South Park in downtown about five years ago -- it was lovely.

No, Park Kitchen is on the north park blocks and is so much better than Southpark, though I never ate there 5 years ago.

I can't comment on Southpark either ... but Park Kitchen was terrific when we visited.

DA

We just got back from five lovely days in Portland. Special D had a class, and I went along for the eats (and the shopping). We had dinner Friday night at Daily Grill, Saturday at Ringside, Sunday (our 32nd anniversary) at El Gaucho, Monday at Red Star, and Tuesday rooooooom service at the Hilton. We usually ate breakfast at the hotel's Bistro 921, and one morning I walked down to the waterfront and got a nice omelet at Little River cafe. I can recommend them all - great food, top-notch service every place we went. (Maybe because we're just such darned enthusiastic eaters?)

Also, we accidentally timed our visit to coincide with the Bite!

As for the shopping, I visited the nice, big Safeway near the University campus one day for lunch makings, and also Whole Foods in the Pearl District, for wine, cheese, bread, and chocolate for a nice picnic on the train headed back home. Of course, I also came back with a nice big stack of books from Powells and In Good Taste, a few goodies from Sur la Table, AND the cutest pair of yummy sushi pajamas you ever saw from urbane Zen!

Now back in Seattle, trying to adjust back to no air conditioning.

K, who LOVES Portland :wub:

I also recommend Park Kitchen. It's a really nice space, and though I've only been one time, I would certainly go again and am confident in the kitchen's talents... Scott Dolich, exec. chef, received accolades as a Food and Wine Best New Chef this year!

:smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

PS. Recently on Craigslist, I commented that these would be my choices if I had 9 meals left in Portland:

* Pambiche: the oxtails or the ropas viejas and dessert

* Tortilleria y Tienda de Leon: The nopales stew and the bright orange and bright green salsas

* LOW BBQ: The lamb ribs at the Portland Farmer's Market or the brisket

* Karam: The falafel

* Curry Leaf: Malabar chilli chicken or a cabbage-mustard seed dish (I'm bad with Indian food names)

* Pho Van: Banana blossom salad

* Cha Ba: Po pia sod or green curry with beef

* Tabla: Braised short ribs

* Andina: Ceviche and the free rolls

And I'd be surprised if you spent over $10 for more than one of these entrees.

:biggrin: Yes, Extra MSG, we like the Portland El Gaucho better than Seattle's, and we had a gift certificate from some dear friends (which we forgot all about - I think we'll use it to check out Chez Gus here, or maybe we'll go back to Waterfront, which we liked).

The meal at El Gaucho was really wonderful. I don't know if they pulled out all the stops for us because it was our anniversary, or just because. We also lucked out with the cigar room - had the place all to ourselves (last time we were there, for our 30th, we shared the place with a frat party). I want that Gerald Murphy-style poster to hang over my bar!

K