• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Least expensive Michelin *d restaurants in Paris

lambretta76

That reminds me to suggest that those interested in stretching a budget by seeking out a bargain prix fixe lunch at one of the more expensive restaurants in Paris may find themselves facing a wine list with a fairly high lower end and not much selection there.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

But, Zouave, what do you think about a food fight on the subject of "How much does money, press coverage and buzz buy?"

I don't really think she "bought" her two stars — although I've heard some rumors we'll discuss somewhere else... :wink: But I do think that the Michelin, back in the days, "needed" a woman with two stars in Paris. The buzz actually started with her first star... and basically, because Helene D. is a woman. That means a lot of coverage in stylish magazines like Elle, who won't comment on food. As long a someone (who?) said she was the new creative south-west chef, everyone "had" to agree and did agree. I went there maybe four or five times; last time, it was at the rez-de-chaussee, with the "tapas" menu — tapas, but non tapas prices: damn expensive, by the way! :biggrin:

I always had 50/50 experiences: one nice entree, one bad main course, and so on. MAybe we should go back? :wink:

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

I have the great good fortune to have been able to spend every April and October in Paris since retiring a few years back and have a few comments about the above suggestions. Every one mentioned is an excellent choice. I would recommend Le Violon for lunch, rather than dinner, as you can almost always get a reservation the next day. Normally Catherine Constant is not there on Wed. because of the children. Their tiny Cafe Constant is enormous value, always jam packed and they don't take reservations. Some days the lunch prix fixe at Le Violn is not listed but has always been available. I found L' Astrance through Mme Costant when they first opened and it is truly superb, but reservations are difficult. They usually don't answer faxes; I queried Christophe about this and received the classic Gallic shrug with a reply that they were too busy. Their price has climbed each time we return but it is still excellent value.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note - we had lunch at Violon d'Ingres last Thursday (9th Sept). We e-mailed a few days in advance for the reservation, and got a prompt reply from Catherine Constant. The lunch was 50 Euros, including two glasses of wine. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The whole experience was lovely, the food excellent, the service polished and professional. Thanks to all of you who recommended this restaurant. We saw the other two Constant restaurants nearby, and they looked interesting, in a different way.

According to the restaurant's website - "Try the lunch menu, at €39 + wine, a delicious bargain." I assume that this wouldn't apply to a Saturday or Sunday lunch, if they are open either day...

As I noted on another thread, we had lunch there last Thursday (9th), and the prix fixe was $50Euros, which included two glasses of wine. all the same, it was a great lunch!

• 4 weeks later...

Violon d'Ingres is now €50 without wine - our bill came to €133 for lunch for two meals, two glasses of wine, and a bottle of water. The meal was good, but not great, and there was only one choice on the set menu - weather you wanted poultry (pigeon) or fish (lobster quenelles in a lobster/whitefish stock). I'll report more on it later, either in this post or in a new one recapping my culinary experience in Paris.

Also, L'Astrance is now €70 for their lunch menu and the place was empty at 1:15 PM on a Wednesday. (We cancelled our reservations there.)