• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kulfi ala Monica

Monica Bhide

I hadn't thought about that, but you're right, foodietraveler. Actually, it's a shortcut in the Mexican kitchen, too.

I don't understand the reference to "immigrant kulfi," though. I'm almost totally unfamiliar with Indian cuisine. Maybe you could explain?

Kulfi made by people who left India and missed good kulfi made with richer cream milk back home. Also, in India, kulfi was eaten outside in meethai shops, where someone had spent hours reducing milk, or made at home by maharaj's who did the same.... or yes, some grandmas made it to with great efforts. But living outside of INdia, with no help, if you were not too affluent, you came up with clever short cuts, a compromise, but one that did not seem too terrible. Many of these tricks that Suvir and Monica put to place were discovered by their parents and mine, as they first traveled overseas and lived in cities not very friendly to immigrants or without many exotic ingredients. Do I make sense?

i recently had kulfi a la monica at my sister's house in california, of all places. when I lived in delhi it was a dependable dish, but it's hard to find in blore. it's nice -- and odd -- that I have to travel so far -- to another country -- for decent kulfi.

Boiling condensed milk in the can to make dulce de leche has been discussed on egullet quite a bit. Here's one useful link:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=27303&st=30

Kulfi made by people who left India and missed good kulfi made with richer cream milk back home.

Since it's made by people who left India, wouldn't "emigrant kulfi" be more apropos?

Boiling condensed milk in the can to make dulce de leche has been discussed on egullet quite a bit.  Here's one useful link:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=27303&st=30

Since it's made by people who left India, wouldn't "emigrant kulfi" be more apropos?

I think you are right. But my mom and others I know, elders, call it immigrant. Maybe because they think of them as immigrants in nations they live. But you are right, emigrant would be better choice.

Does anybody (Monica?) have a easy recipe/method to make falooda to go with this kulfi?

BTW, Monica, I have just placed an order for both of your books... can't wait for them to arrive. Also ordered Suvir's book as well.

• 3 months later...
Try it .. its really quite delightful

Finally got around to the kulfi...Wow!...Had gotten the rose water a while ago, but never got to making it.. today all the planets aligned,I guess..

Recipe is a keeper... Thanks Monica... :smile:

• 5 weeks later...